Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Laser Should I get???

Timelord said:
[quote author=lasermaster link=1171341177/0#0 date=1171341177] If i am going to start off with my first laser what power should i get?
I'd say go with what you can afford and get some goggles if you want a high powered laser. If your like me then you may not be satisfied with a toy and want a beast instead. :cool: [/quote]

I agree.... it just fits my personality to get what I want and be done with it...

I hate to have anything laying around I'm not gonna use... I suggest not to buy a laser so weak that you "know" you will be  upgradeing anyway. Why waste your money if your going to outgrow it in 2 weeks?

If your an adult you can just learn how to play with it safely and just don't let your kids play with it.

YOu have to decide what best for you.

But I will say get one thats good enough to cover most of your bases rather than buyihg 5 before you finally get what you want.

1. Portability... will it fit in a pocket... do  you want it to?
2. Power..... What do you really want to be able to do?.... see the beam in a lighted room?... be able to show off and burn etc or just as a pointer for looking at the stars at night?
3. Quality.....generally the more portable, the more fragile... the body has less mass to absorb heat and so runtimes will be less..... batteries are smaller too.
4. Elusiveness...... Do you want to be able to take it to work, church.. or anywhere without suspicion of having a high powered laser in your pocket?
5. Warranty...... don't buy from ebay..... I"ve learned that everybody knows what the quality cost.... just pay the money and be happy. Quick ebay lasers will almost always bite you.
6. Price... do some reading on these forums... some are overated... some are a good value for the money....
Just how bullet proof do you need it to be?

The only other thing I would add to that is....
7. Looks.... How pleasing is it to behold?.. What's the "wow factor?"... does it look like several hundred dollars worth of quality?.. whether it be a " supposed pen"   or laser?.. or does it look like something  you bought in a 7 - 11 somewhere and that you got ripped off?... LOL!... you  may want that... if you want to look even more inconspicuous!!!    
I personally like the look of fine quality and class.. whether it be the "pen look" or a machined piece of art and sophistication.

I'm inclined to say... and 125mw will do the job for most everything.... any less, you will suffer in the burn department, any more is just glory and excess.. and  you will most likely be forced to buy a larger less portable unit.... but if you have the money.. go for it!

You have to factor in your values and how many bucks your willing to cough up!

T

timelord

A well deserved sticky Greg and many thanks to windstrings for raising this issue too :cool:

thinkingbuddy.uni.cc/wiki/index.php?title=Laser+Technology

This is a good information for newbies about making Lasers

is optotronics 30mw green the same as the dx30mw ?  anyone have a review of the optotronics 30mw green laser pointer

E

eRt..oO

I ordered a 75mW green viper from techlasers.com but [ch305] dont really know about it very much so... i think you can help me guys.. can it light matches? or sting bare skin? :cool:

kraiga

im looking for a good green laser, for showing off its burn factor... ideally powered by easy accessable batteries, ie. aa, aaa or cr123 (preferrably cr123 as i have a big supply of them), but aa, or aaa are fine.. (just not those small circular silver batteries)..

ok.. so..

pocket sized... burn factor... see the beam for miles.. etc etc.. budget of £60-80.

kraiga

cgi(DOT)ebay(DOT)co(DOT)uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220199972678&Category=14954&_trksid=p3907.m29

can someone please tell me if i shud get tht? ^^
(remember to remove the (DOT) and replace it with . )

I am scared to by from DX as it says it may take upto 6 weeks to process order and even after that, they hold no responsibility for what happens at customs!!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of leadlights they are modable overall great unit ebay 30 bucks you can usually bid 20 and win 10 for shipping
I hope i wont get in trouble for saying name brands