Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What laser should I buy?

Ok so I think I've decided on getting the 100mW 532 (Thanks for all the advice NO4H99). Right now I'm looking at the SFCG-100 532nm Green from Sci-Fi, for $50 (which seems pretty cheap after looking around, but if you know of anything cheaper feel free to let me know). Apparently I also need a special type of battery and a charger for that battery ($3 for the charger and $2 for the battery). I noticed it said that the laser is 80-100mW, not simply 100mW. Anyone know more about this? Maybe it's 80 mW when the battery is low or something? And finally, the Uvex glasses apparently are only good for blue light?

Hey alco!

The power advertised is because the power varies between 80mW-100mW depending on temp,batteries and alot of other factors. It is very rare for any laser to be precisely 100mW/200mW/300mW etc :)

Tmack

The sci fi laser will certainly be over 100mw. Every case I have heard has been overspec . Including mine.

Ok so I think I've decided on getting the 100mW 532 (Thanks for all the advice NO4H99). Right now I'm looking at the SFCG-100 532nm Green from Sci-Fi, for $50 (which seems pretty cheap after looking around, but if you know of anything cheaper feel free to let me know). Apparently I also need a special type of battery and a charger for that battery ($3 for the charger and $2 for the battery). I noticed it said that the laser is 80-100mW, not simply 100mW. Anyone know more about this? Maybe it's 80 mW when the battery is low or something? And finally, the Uvex glasses apparently are only good for blue light?

Yes you need rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Good luck!

Tmack

I wouldn't get the batteries shipped with the laser. More risk of customs seizing it. Get them from amazon. Just make sure you get the right ones.

Tmack

Israel.. I have heard of members getting their batteries through them with the lasers but I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
I can say I got my 100mw greenie from joker(sci-fi), came in at 117mw and im very happy for the price. I got battery and charger with mine ,but don't think ill try that again.

have these been tested ? 2x Cheap Uvex blue-blockers think im gonna order a set of these myself for that price.

NO4H99

1) The laser will almost definitely be over spec (mine was by 15mw).

2) That is the cheapest green laser that I would suggest (for 100mw)

3) I personally got my lasers through customs with batteries twice, but if you don't feel comfortable, order some from fasttech.com. (or if you cant wait three weeks for shipping, pm me and i'll hook you up - won't be as cheap though because of shipping costs)

4) The uvex blue-blockers will definitely work for lower powered greens. They have been lpm tested by members to be ok. I personally cannot see any green through them with my 400mw green. Just be warned, however, that they do NOT block IR light. If you are worried, get some eagle pair - but those will be closer to $40.

1) The laser will almost definitely be over spec (mine was by 15mw).

2) That is the cheapest green laser that I would suggest (for 100mw)

3) I personally got my lasers through customs with batteries twice, but if you don't feel comfortable, order some from fasttech.com. (or if you cant wait three weeks for shipping, pm me and i'll hook you up - won't be as cheap though because of shipping costs)

4) The uvex blue-blockers will definitely work for lower powered greens. They have been lpm tested by members to be ok. I personally cannot see any green through them with my 400mw green. Just be warned, however, that they do NOT block IR light. If you are worried, get some eagle pair - but those will be closer to $40.

He should buy a panasonic 18650 from LarryFTW for best capacity.

NO4H99

^^^But why spend $14 on a battery for a $45 laser? If it were a better laser, or even higher power I'd suggest that, but for his purposes, its not really necessary.

^^^But why spend $14 on a battery for a $45 laser? If it were a better laser, or even higher power I'd suggest that, but for his purposes, its not really necessary.

So you dont have to recharge it as often and itll outlast other batteries. I mean he did say he had a $100 budget so why not get a good battery :D Most budget batteries are hit or miss.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the battery lasting not the laser.... Cheap lithium batteries are hit or miss. Sometimes theyre actually smaller batteries in larger casings.

NO4H99

^^^The battery will last plenty long. Its not drawing that much.