Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What laser should I buy?

alco

So I want to spend about $100 for a laser pointer just for fun kinda thing, I don't need it for any specific purpose. I also don't want to deal with any paperwork when buying it because it's too powerful or something. Any recommendations on the best pointer for $100? (By best I mean hopefully something that can pop a balloon and still be visible in therms of an astronomy laser kinda thing, where it goes long distances and is extremely visible). I currently have a cheap laser I bought in Europe for like $15 which has these specs:

Max output power <100mW
Wavelength: 532nm +-10
Class III Green Laser Pointer

Hoping for something better than that. Any color is OK, but it's my understanding that green is the most visible so maybe green? I'm new to this so any help is appreciated.

NO4H99

Green is the most visible. But before you buy a high-powered laser, do you have safety gear?

alco

No I don't but I'd be willing to pay over $100 considering that I might need it... What kind of safety gear do I need and what laser do you recommend? (Post link please)

alco

But isn't that essentially the same thing that I already have? Also I am willing to shell out a little more which maybe means something better (unless there's a price jump from $50 to $200 with nothing better than this $50 laser in between).

NO4H99

This one will actually be at least 100mw, which I'm guessing that yours is not. It will also be a better quality, have longer duty cycles, and be focusable. If you can provide some more details on yours though, I could give you an idea of how it probably compares.

As far as the price jump, it is hard to make green dpss lasers over 150ish mw. If that is ok with you, though I can direct you to sites that will have quality high powered greens. Just let me know your max price and preferred power.

if your gonna complain power then buy a 1w 445. we take no responsibility for your actions however so you and all observers would need safety gear. for $100 your gonna get maybe a 100 mw green. and what you have is probably under spec. not sure though. where are you located?

NO4H99

^^^$50 for a 100mw green from TheJoker. After 100mw though is a price jump

NO4H99

Sorry for the double post, but this should help:

Here are links to a few websites for green lasers (as dpss lasers are not made by forum members.) Jetlasers and Dragon Lasers will have the best quality lasers. Laserbtb is also good. Next would be Sci-Fi lasers (but he only has 100mw greens last time I checked). Finally, there is O-like - but they have had mixed reviews lately and may or may not be up to spec. Also, check out the buy/sell/trade section for used lasers. For you, I'd suggest a SFCG for Sci-Fi or a Ti-b from Jetlasers, but look into all your options.

Dragon Lasers - green

Jetlasers - green

Laserbtb - handheld green

Sci-Fi Lasers - green

O-like - green

B/S/T section

Sorry for the double post, but this should help:

Here are links to a few websites for green lasers (as dpss lasers are not made by forum members.) Jetlasers and Dragon Lasers will have the best quality lasers. Laserbtb is also good. Next would be Sci-Fi lasers (but he only has 100mw greens last time I checked). Finally, there is O-like - but they have had mixed reviews lately and may or may not be up to spec. Also, check out the buy/sell/trade section for used lasers. For you, I'd suggest a SFCG for Sci-Fi or a Ti-b from Jetlasers, but look into all your options.

Dragon Lasers - green

Jetlasers - green

Laserbtb - handheld green

Sci-Fi Lasers - green

O-like - green

B/S/T section

Hehe, $100 isn't going to get you a 532nm laser at JetLasers :beer:

alco

After farther research, I think that the laser pointer I have now is 5mW. Looks almost like this one I found on ebay:

5mW Powerful Green Laser Pointer Pen Beam Light Professional Lazer from USA | eBay

So of course my next question if how do the 5mw and 100mw lasers compare? Is the 100mw actually 20 times brighter? And what do you mean by "foucusable"? And would safety gear be needed for everyone to safely see the laser or is that just for me just in case?

NO4H99

Yours is probably about 20 - 40mw with a fair amount of IR. The 100mw will be about 3x brighter (4x the power = 2x the brightness), have a much more solid beam, and will be able to adjust focus for burning. At this power, the only danger to your eyes is a direct hit or if you catch a reflection. I have a link to some $8 uvex safety glasses in my signature that will work just fine.

Definitely get a green it's the most impressive for the power. A 5mw green laser is what got me into the hobby.

alco

Ok so I think I've decided on getting the 100mW 532 (Thanks for all the advice NO4H99). Right now I'm looking at the SFCG-100 532nm Green from Sci-Fi, for $50 (which seems pretty cheap after looking around, but if you know of anything cheaper feel free to let me know). Apparently I also need a special type of battery and a charger for that battery ($3 for the charger and $2 for the battery). I noticed it said that the laser is 80-100mW, not simply 100mW. Anyone know more about this? Maybe it's 80 mW when the battery is low or something? And finally, the Uvex glasses apparently are only good for blue light?