Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What kind of recoil can a laser absorb?

I'm thinking about putting together a nice little 18650 host (IR or Bluray) to mount on a weapon. Nothing serious... just a range toy. For sure, the driver and diode would need potted with epoxy and the focus lens would need some lockite to stiffen it up. Otherwise they would rattle aroound and break.

I'm more concerned about the diodes... can support the recoil of a rifle or SMG ??
Does it matter if you are running the diode overspec or underspec (weakness from heat)?

Also, do you guys think an Arctic could withstand the recoil? :evil:
LOL, a 1W on a firearm... you could use the dang lasersight as a backup when your gun jams. :crackup:

Kenom

I built a 200mw red module into a gun sight and that thing works perfectly.. They choose diode lasers instead of dpss laser specifically because they can withstand the recoil from a gun.. I think you'll be fine.

I'm thinking about putting together a nice little 18650 host (IR or Bluray) to mount on a weapon. Nothing serious... just a range toy. For sure, the driver and diode would need potted with epoxy and the focus lens would need some lockite to stiffen it up. Otherwise they would rattle aroound and break.

I'm more concerned about the diodes... can support the recoil of a rifle or SMG ??
Does it matter if you are running the diode overspec or underspec (weakness from heat)?

Also, do you guys think an Arctic could withstand the recoil? :evil:
LOL, a 1W on a firearm... you could use the dang lasersight as a backup when your gun jams. :crackup:

***runs for teh hills.

A diode can take it as long as the laser is mounted firmly on the weapon.
IR and violet will be very low visibility. I would suggest either 635nm red or 655nm red.
Your next option would be 445nm blue, but the beam divergence and shape might make it difficult to use as a sight at long distances.
Also, you need to consider duty cycle. 1W 445nm diodes run HOT, and you won't want to leave it on for a long time, especially in the sun.
445nm is not the best for visibility in direct sunlight, though.

The Arctic is pretty bulky. Not something I would want on a rifle. It looks like it could get in the way and add a lot of weight that could throw off the balance.

Anyway, I always thought laser sights were "cheating."
I've never used a laser on a "real" gun. It's either a scope or iron sights for me.

I like the EOtechs and Aimpoint type sights. For hunting or real-world accuracy they are unbeatable.
But if you want to shoot tight groups... lasers and diode type sights are terrible.
I would hardly consider them cheating.

A good rifle will shoot 1"-2" @ 100 yards. That's roughly .6mrad.
Scope reticle lines are roughly .07mrad thick while a good laser has a divergence of 1.5mrad.
Given a laser's (or dot sight's) very limited precision... it is impossible to shoot good groups with one.
Not really cheating... more like handicapping.

As for being "heavy"... I'd be putting it on a Max-11 SMG (open bolt Mac11). Hardly any balance to begin with, haha.
The whole concept is to make the bolt and gun heavy to slow down the rate of fire and muzzle climb.
I have .22 kicks more than that gun. lol.

Last edited:
I like the EOtechs and Aimpoint type sights. For hunting or real-world accuracy they are unbeatable.
But if you want to shoot tight groups... lasers and diode type sights are terrible.
I would hardly consider them cheating.

A good rifle will shoot 1"-2" @ 100 yards. That's roughly .6mrad.
Scope reticle lines are roughly .07mrad thick while a good laser has a divergence of 1.5mrad.
Given a laser's (or dot sight's) very limited precision... it is impossible to shoot good groups with one.
Not really cheating... more like handicapping.

Good point. I've never used a laser sight so I can't really say how it affects accuracy.
EOtechs are definitely the way to go, though.

Point is, although I can't imagine a laser sight being very useful, 200mW red would probably be the most stable option. Blue, if you want a unique color.
Also, there is a company you may have heard of that makes gun sights... "Viridian." I think they only make red and green up to 5mW, though, and they are pretty pricey at ~$300.