Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is your internet connection speed?

idk what my internet provider is, but most days i get 30kb/s download speed and 50kb/s upload... idk why upload is faster than download but my internet really really sucks

Benm

That -really- sucks indeed... were in the world are you located?

57337d1504323897-what-your-internet-connection-speed-speedtest.jpg

EDIT: The trucks were stringing fiber in my neighborhood just this last week, and I know we have fiber at the DSLAM, so mine should be getting faster soon, right now we are still on the copper pair from the DSLAM.

Attachments

• speedtest.jpg
    speedtest.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I did this test over wifi so I can't utilize all available capacity, but my link speed is actually 500 Mbit/s or so.

ITCuy13.png

diachi

I did this test over wifi so I can't utilize all available capacity, but my link speed is actually 500 Mbit/s or so.

ITCuy13.png

:eek: I'm jealous! Also, 2ms ping? Is that speedtest server hosted by your ISP or something? I see it's <50 miles away from you. I get higher latency from home to work (average 20ms or so), and my work is only 1.2km from my home. The ISPs datacenter isn't much further than that either.

I can't complain about my service, I get the speed I pay for. Just wish the upload speed was higher. 100/5.

Grabbed this just now while downloading some Ubuntu torrents:

EKIyfNq.png

I recommend pfSense to anyone looking for a half decent firewall solution on the cheap. I'm running it on a Firebox X750E and it works very well. It'll run just fine on an old desktop computer with a couple network cards too.

Last edited:

Benm

ITCuy13.png

That's fairly impressive!

I think my wifi would be the limiting factor by far these rates. I can't really complain having about 90 mbit down at 15 up using wifi under real world conditions, but this certainly is something better :D

diachi

That's fairly impressive!

I think my wifi would be the limiting factor by far these rates. I can't really complain having about 90 mbit down at 15 up using wifi under real world conditions, but this certainly is something better :D

Yeah, that guy needs to get some 802.11AC equipment. I have 802.11AC, works great, can use all of my bandwidth and it's great for transferring files to and from my file server. :D

Benm

Well yeah, wifi is the limiting factor here, but the line maximum theoretical speed is 150 up and 15 down, so it's not a huge deal unless i need to download something humoungous in a hurry.

I can get a package that does 300 down and 30 up for a significantly higher price point (almost double), but at this point it's not really worth it.

The upload speeds just aren't available here, 30 mbit is the maximum i can get on cable...

diachi

Well yeah, wifi is the limiting factor here, but the line maximum theoretical speed is 150 up and 15 down, so it's not a huge deal unless i need to download something humoungous in a hurry.

I can get a package that does 300 down and 30 up for a significantly higher price point (almost double), but at this point it's not really worth it.

The upload speeds just aren't available here, 30 mbit is the maximum i can get on cable...

You get a decent ratio at least. The package with 150Mbps download where I'm at his 6Mbps upload, which is the highest package for residential customers.

GSS

Is this good?:eek:
I have Comcast cable TV with the residential internet package.
I logged off any other site as it said it could factor in.

With Wifi and the modum in the next room,
37.21Mbps down load 11.87Mbps Up load

Direct cable,
93.47Mbps down load 12.01Mbps Up load

Last edited: