Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is wrong with people!?

Here is what I found to be odd:
Swatting perpetrators tend to be males between in their 20s and 30s -- social misfits who mobilize SWAT teams for nothing more than "bragging rights," Kolbye said.

I'd put it down mostly to /b/, it's a established (and stupid) "prank".

For the uninitiated, /b/ is "The asshole of the Internet" according to Gawker, and I'd say that is a very accurate description.

Does the FBI not have access to a phone book?
If these people are home why would they not answer if someone was calling over and over?

Well if you watch enough movies that have SWAT scenes, most of the time the bad guys are in the location already using the phone, so the thought of trying to call is discarded, not to mention if the HAcker is still on the line the police figure that the person is inside the building still using the phone.

Last edited:
Does the FBI not have access to a phone book?
If these people are home why would they not answer if someone was calling over and over?

:crackup::crackup:... exactly....

I guess the SWAT teams sometimes get bored
and need to play...:whistle:

Jerry

Can't they trace the call and figure out where it's coming from?
Modern telcos are pretty efficient.

These hackers are spoofing the caller IDs making it look like the victims are placing the call using computer hardware/software. Unless theses hackers don't know how to cover up their tracks, they'll be caught.

The world we live in these days :(

These hackers are spoofing the caller IDs making it look like the victims are placing the call using computer hardware/software. Unless theses hackers don't know how to cover up their tracks, they'll be caught.

The world we live in these days :(

You can't spoof ANI.

Yeah... people are pretty f*cked up. The best I can hope for is that these wonderful pranksters don't contribute to the gene pool.

Not sure if the reasoning is an urban myth or not, but I do know my high school had an automatic expulsion policy for false fire alarms, supposedly because a volunteer firefighter died - trying to get to the school, because of a false alarm.

I really don't get why castration/sterilization is not part of punishment in our society, would reduce recidivism rates quite a bit imho, and can be done rather humanely.