Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the name of the tool I need?

bman87

Hello,

I have a handful of lasers and flashlights that have a cap or insert in the threading that require a way to hold two divots machined into it so that the part can be tightened or loosened. I need to repair and clean the lens on one of my lasers and I cannot remove it without a tool for this purpose. My google-fu is failing and I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

https://imgur.com/a/71TIxev

Thanks!!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
bman87, that lens retainer looks to be quite a ways in the tube, be sure your spanner is long enough to reach.
An alternate option that may work, especially if the retainer is not too tight, or glued in place, is to use thin tipped needle nose pliers, or pointed style tweezers. :yh:

Good luck with your project!

PS - I just noticed that you're also located in Mi. :beer:

Last edited:
I have used those myself, they can work on some rings, if not too deep.

Hi Yup snap ring pliers the straight type, buy a good pair they work wonders I use them on my mod builds. They give you plenty of torx, Be careful might be a left hand thread. the Chinese are good for doing the reverse that we do here in the states. if that won't work use a 3 LB. engineers hammer, just kidding good luck with your repairs.

Rich:)

I have a Thor H dual power from laserpointerstore.com. It looks very similar to what you have here. Mine came with a three element lens and I wonder if yours might be too. If you are just planning on cleaning the outer surfaces of the lens, you can probably do that with a wooden shaft cotton swab dipped in 99% isopropanol w/v. No need to remove and then put it back in.

I have a Thor H dual power from laserpointerstore.com. It looks very similar to what you have here. Mine came with a three element lens and I wonder if yours might be too. If you are just planning on cleaning the outer surfaces of the lens, you can probably do that with a wooden shaft cotton swab dipped in 99% isopropanol w/v. No need to remove and then put it back in.

Hi,Now thats good start without going through all the hassle ..

Rich:)

Benm

An alternate option that may work, especially if the retainer is not too tight, or glued in place, is to use thin tipped needle nose pliers, or pointed style tweezers. :yh:

Those work well for this type of mounting, and are fairly universal since you can vary the distance between the tips easily so you don't need a tool that fix the product specifically.

There are tools to open the backs of watches that are pretty similar to this, but they will probably not fit into anything recessed like this.

Pliers/pincets can also be used, but they often don't have the flex strength to actually twist something unless it's not secured into place by any means.