Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the main cause of power drop off ? Updated with new info

What is the main cause of power output drop off bellow 60 seconds run time ?

assuming it's not batteries draining down.....

Is the diode getting hot ?

Is it something to do with the driver ?

I guess it has to do with one of the two because what else is there ?

Last edited:

Re: What is the main cause of power drop off ?

basically the diode gets hot. heat creates more resistance, therefore less current travels through the diode (i.e. V=IR)

Eracoy

Hopefully, if you have a proper driver, it would keep the current constant by upping the voltage when the resistance rises. DPSS are much more sensitive to temperature, but you might be experiencing the same with your diode. How much is it dimming by, approximately? Also, I'd be interested in hearing your battery/driver setup before ruling that out.

Last edited:

I don't have a power output meter, I see it visually that it dims but I guess that's not surprising because it's a Chinese laser so the driver most likely isn't a really good one....

My batteries are 2ea 16340 3.7v 2800mAh

Last edited:

I thought resistance drops in a laser diode as it get hotter. I thought I read that on this forum. Am I right?

Rivem

I thought resistance drops in a laser diode as it get hotter. I thought I read that on this forum. Am I right?

No.

Resistance increases in all conductors in almost all situations with heat. That isn't the entire story though as the heat also can effect the semiconductor and lasing cavity to decrease efficiency. That's the bigger reason for the dropoff.

Edit: A hot driver also suffers losses due to resistance that can diminish output if its rating is barely enough.

Last edited:

"heat also can effect the semiconductor and lasing cavity"

I was wondering if something like that was going on and I'm thinking the poorer the diode quality the more heat with effect it ?

Rivem

"heat also can effect the semiconductor and lasing cavity"

I was wondering if something like that was going on and I'm thinking the poorer the diode quality the more heat with effect it ?

Right. Poorly made diodes won't account for thermal expansion very well, and they'll typically expand in a way that makes the cavity far less optimal for lasing at their target wavelength.

Edit: This is also one of the reasons you might see a redshift in overdriven diodes.

Last edited:

No.

Resistance increases in all conductors in almost all situations with heat. That isn't the entire story though as the heat also can effect the semiconductor and lasing cavity to decrease efficiency. That's the bigger reason for the dropoff.

Edit: A hot driver also suffers losses due to resistance that can diminish output if its rating is barely enough.
This is why supercooling helps lessen resistance.

Sta

Not all lasers like it cold, though - for example, my 561 takes around 5-10 minutes to warm up to full power! It likes it **very** warm.

Reactions: GSS

Rivem

Not all lasers like it cold, though - for example, my 561 takes around 5-10 minutes to warm up to full power! It likes it **very** warm.

Yep. That's actually an excellent example. Unlike diode lasers which also involve electrical efficiencies directly, DPSS doesn't. You'll still see similar issues though. They'll change mode and diminish/increase output depending upon their temperature.

Just as I said with diode lasers, the temperature can effect the mechanical properties of the lasing cavity and change the efficiencies of the optical materials.

Of course, ideal operating temperature is a much more definite range in DPSS than diode lasers.

Last edited:

I was just messing around with it and after 60 seconds it gets quite a bit weaker but nothing feels even a little warm, could it be a cheap a$$ driver ? or a very poor quality diode ?

Last edited:

I started a new thread with the updated info

Last edited: