Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Is M9x0.5mm?

Snecho

Hey all,

I was trying to learn a little bit more about laser lenses to find out their swapability.

I see a lot of lenses are listed in the "M9x0.5mm" form factor and similar. I was just wondering what this means and if I can find out the diameter of the whole threaded brass part from this to see it if will fit in a laser I'm working on.

Snecho

M9X0.5....the 9 is the lens housing diameter in mm and the 0.5 is the pitch of the threads in mm. This is the most common type of lens housing that we use in handhelds. I do have some others, but they are more specialized.
Thanks Paul, that makes a lot of sense. So the diameter would be 9mm. Awesome thank you. 😃

Snecho

No problem.
If you don't mind me asking, have you ever seen a M11x0.5, AKA 11mm diameter lens that threads in? The M9x0.5s look like that will drop in perfectly to my main laser, but the other one I was hoping for has a 11mm diameter lens screw.

The reason for the 9 mm diameter lens housing is, in part, because of the lens diameters. They tend to be ~6.3 mm. You would gain no advantage to an increase in the housing diameter with one of these lenses.

If you don't mind me asking, have you ever seen a M11x0.5, AKA 11mm diameter lens that threads in? The M9x0.5s look like that will drop in perfectly to my main laser, but the other one I was hoping for has a 11mm diameter lens screw.

Hi,
I dont know about the 11x0.5 mm thread but the Sanwu 3X BE takes a 11x0.4 thread pitch
Rich:)

Snecho

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah Paul, that's what I figured. Looks like my main laser is a nice standard M9x0.5 type lens. But the reason I ask is because I was looking to see if I could find something better to upgrade/replace the lens on my Chinese 532nm. It's an odd lens that has a 11mm diameter screw and holds what looks like a standard plastic collaminating lens.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Those generally use a two lens system with a concave/diverging lens then an acrylic collimating lens. You won't likely gain any advantage using glass over acrylic.

Snecho

Those generally use a two lens system with a concave/diverging lens then an acrylic collimating lens. You won't likely gain any advantage using glass over acrylic.
This one only uses one collimating lens. I was mainly looking for a quality lens since these come scratched 2 times out of 3. I was just thinking of buying these cheap plastic lenses themselves, popping the old one out with a screw driver, and putting the new one in with the tiniest drop of glue

I know that five years ago you could buy the acrylic lenses used in these 301 and 303 lasers. I haven't looked for them inn a long time. I suspect if there is still a demand they will still be available.

GSS

There is a ton of glass or plastic lenses on ebay from 5mm to 6mm to 7mm that look like they will be a direct snap in with out glue on that 11mm style housing your showing Snecho that i'm 100% sure you know about.
Instead of asking and showing many pics of that typical 532 style lens setup just try buying some and let us know..

Snecho

I know that five years ago you could buy the acrylic lenses used in these 301 and 303 lasers. I haven't looked for them inn a long time. I suspect if there is still a demand they will still be available.
Thank you Paul for providing helpful advice and staying on topic and not trying to be passive agressive :)

This one belive it or not isn't a 301, 303 laser. It's a military style type pointer.
But yes, I do just think I will have to experiment with this, but the most important thing is I learned a lot of valuable knowledge about M9x0.5 which will really help me in the near future. I am very grateful for your help, thanks again Paul.

GSS

Snecho, yes I was posting in a passive aggressive way, and thanks for bringing it out;)
Was it to insult you? No not at all.
You are this forum's new fact giving member and obviously have read just about all there is to read here.
Instead of just posting pic's of this generic lens and claiming all or most of your 532's came with a scratched lens, "which I find hard to believe", show members where to find them if they happen to have a bad lens.. It's obvious you have seen the 1000's of replacement 532 lenses on ebay.
You have put out tech info on LPM's, how hard to run a M03 520, where to find a good deal on a Thor, or good battery's etc. etc. etc. etc. So you can't tell me you don't know to where to go for a $1 lens.
You have also insulted a few members:whistle: and told others that everything they need to know is in the PM's you have sent them..
So you need to put up with a little bit of criticism also.
Snecho, you do and can help newbie's,;) but you have to know when to not cross that line.

Last edited: