Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is and what isn't safe?

Title mostly explains it. In more depth I mean what IS safe to do with a 100mw green 532nm laser? Is it safe to shine it on the wall and look at the dot without protective eyewear? Or must you wear glasses at all times when operating it? (I'm only talking about the 100mw 532nm laser, nothing higher.) And is there a minimum distance for it to be safe to observe the dot without glasses? Help the new guy out, really interested in lasers now and want to start learning all the safety precautions and in time, how to build my very own laser. Thank youuu.

Last edited:

Hey Richman, welcome to LPF!

Yes, you can stare at a dot from a 100mW 532nm laser but please, please do make sure you are not near the "object" which will be illuminated. I would say at least 15 feet will be good, if you are going to do any sort of burning goggles are a must as 100mW can instantly cause eye damage.

Just be cautious, be safe and no harm will come your way :beer:

+Rep aswell as an early Christmas present :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the LPF. I live in Tampa too, if you ever see a big green dot in the sky it might be me :wave:

When I use my lasers inside I try to point it at something dark, and not just at the wall. Makes the dot less visible and the beam seem brighter. I personally only use goggles when burning objects (which is very very rare).

You'll probably be ok with a 100mW greenie (my first laser), always watch out for reflective material, and always where goggles if your burning things.

There have been many many threads on this subject, and probably a sticky in the safety section. The search tool can be your best friend on here.

Cheers be safe and lase on.

Hello TheRichman, I also agree but be careful as accidents do happen and a direct hit in the eye will do permanent damage. No problem looking at the beam but be careful of looking at the dot depending on distance and how reflective the surface is. If you want to see the easiest way to build your own laser, see the two white links in my signature. Welcome to LPF and have a merry Christmas.

Alan

Yes thank you all for your welcomes and replies. I probably won't be burning to many things other than a match or two haha. I was just curious as to what the safest distance to show my friends the beam and dot brightness would be. I don't have extra pairs of glasses for them but just to show them on a wall in my room how bright it can get. Thanks again guys, big help! In time I will be buying a 1W 405nm laser from BLord :) I love the look and extra attachments you can purchase from him along with all the reps!

EDIT: @Eugene Haha I'll keep a look out. I'm on the border between Oldsmar And Tampa really but if I ever do see a beam i'll be sure to PM ya!

Last edited:
Yes thank you all for your welcomes and replies. I probably won't be burning to many things other than a match or two haha. I was just curious as to what the safest distance to show my friends the beam and dot brightness would be. I don't have extra pairs of glasses for them but just to show them on a wall in my room how bright it can get. Thanks again guys, big help! In time I will be buying a 1W 405nm laser from BLord :) I love the look and extra attachments you can purchase from him along with all the reps!

EDIT: @Eugene Haha I'll keep a look out. I'm on the border between Oldsmar And Tampa really but if I ever do see a beam i'll be sure to PM ya!

Good choice, Blord makes some absolutely amazing lasers. You won't be dissapointed :beer:

Good choice, Blord makes some absolutely amazing lasers. You won't be dissapointed :beer:
From the reviews I've read I would imagine so! Planning on buying all the extras that come with it too. Glasses, battery, focus adapter and holster. Maybe he will have a Christmas deal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Get some money from the holidays along with what I got in my bank and i'll be buying one in no time!

Tmack

I know a couple members that had 1w 405 but super rare. You had me frantically about to Pm blord :D

And from a fellow owner of blords lasers, you will be pleased. However, you will want to get batteries from battery junction or ebay seller r-lsales. You don't want to get batteries from overseas. That's a sure way to get your package opened by customs and bye bye laser. Everything else will be fine. But batteries and charger get from within the country.

1w will surely knock your socks off. Anything in a 10ft radius is fair game ;)

I know a couple members that had 1w 405 but super rare. You had me frantically about to Pm blord :D

And from a fellow owner of blords lasers, you will be pleased. However, you will want to get batteries from battery junction or ebay seller r-lsales. You don't want to get batteries from overseas. That's a sure way to get your package opened by customs and bye bye laser. Everything else will be fine. But batteries and charger get from within the country.

1w will surely knock your socks off. Anything in a 10ft radius is fair game ;)

Haha wow! I have a <5mw laser I got from Ebay that's 405nm. Love the color and didn't realize how rare it was. And thanks for the tip on batteries, i'll be sure to buy on ebay from now on. I'm actually now glad that Lazerer won't send me the batteries even after I purchased them haha. Took my money, but better than losing the whole package.

Tmack

Oh no 405nm are quite easy to get. Just not 1w.

The most power you will manage is around 700mw being driven pretty hard. Not to say there haven't been freak diodes putting out stupid power and efficiency, but like I said THOSE are what's super rare. :beer:

Last edited:
From the reviews I've read I would imagine so! Planning on buying all the extras that come with it too. Glasses, battery, focus adapter and holster. Maybe he will have a Christmas deal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Get some money from the holidays along with what I got in my bank and i'll be buying one in no time!

Nice, this will be one Christmas you won't forget :yh:

Yeah I get it now haha. Be pretty cool to have a powerful purple laser though!
:lasergun:

Tmack

I would indeed. Considering how well 405 burns at modest power, a high powered one would be great. Who knows, a higher powered 405 might be right around the bend.

Till then 3500mw of 445 will have to do :(.................:D

But dual diodes are always an option

Last edited:
Haha wow! I have a <5mw laser I got from Ebay that's 405nm. Love the color and didn't realize how rare it was. And thanks for the tip on batteries, i'll be sure to buy on ebay from now on. I'm actually now glad that Lazerer won't send me the batteries even after I purchased them haha. Took my money, but better than losing the whole package.

Please don't buy from eBay. Most if not all of green lasers on eBay don't have a IR filter which makes them dangerous and you can buy higher quality lasers which will last you a lot longer by buying from a "trusted company" or just looking around the B/S/T section of LPF.

Goodluck ;)

Last edited: