Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What happens if they confiscate your laser?

UnboxedCow

So I just signed up to ask this question if anyone has the slightest ideas as to what actually happens? I can't find any accurate information, the crap google spews out is for like very high offense things such as "man points laser at helicopter, is confiscated and searched" blablabla. That sort of thing. I want to know because I miss having a powerful laser around, haven't had one since like 2011, and I moved to a new location in the US where the night scenery is perfect for powerful astronomy lasers.

But as you know the FAA or whomever restricts the power limit to only <5mW of power, which is ridiculously stupid.

Another thing, I used to buy from o-like lasers, but I went there just now and it looks like they still ship to the USA. If the USPS tells me they are "holding" the package, and they send the police on me while I retrieve the package, what am I supposed to do at this point?

This is just very uneventful because I'm like friendzoned but with something stupid. I can't go left or right, can't do anything because I'm scared they might do something rtded when my package finally arrives after 3 fing weeks and send me a "notice". But in actuality it's a sting operation :\.

It is a rare event for customs to confiscate as laser pointer coming from outside the US. There are some manufacturers that are on watch lists, but they mostly don't send lasers to the US any longer. I wouldn't worry about it as I have never had a laser confiscated from me.

UnboxedCow

It is a rare event for customs to confiscate as laser pointer coming from outside the US. There are some manufacturers that are on watch lists, but they mostly don't send lasers to the US any longer. I wouldn't worry about it as I have never had a laser confiscated from me.

Yeah but do you know what HAPPENS? I'm asking if they do confiscate it when it arrives in the US and they become suspicious, do they contact you then contact the police department or what the hell happens? Or do they just take it away and just leave it as is.

It has happened so rarely that is is difficult to say for sure. CNI got on the watch list and stopped shipping pointers to the US. Of the few that have been confiscated I have never heard of the person who ordered it getting in any trouble. I believe they do have to let you know that they are holding it. Never order batteries with a laser pointer because that gives them a means to power it up. Other than that I wouldn't worry. I have purchased dozens of pointers over the years and have never had a single one confiscated.....EVER!

In Australia Customs will confiscate the laser and send you a warning letter. If it happens again they will fine you. No doubt if you are caught once your name would be placed on a list of people to keep an eye on.

The police are not involved. They are only involved if you manage to get one past customs then get caught with it.

I have never had a laser confiscated. But I did have a Red LED torch confiscated. They claimed it was a laser. After Emailing and talking to customs they released it and wiped my record.

Reactions: GSS
So I just signed up to ask this question if anyone has the slightest ideas as to what actually happens? I can't find any accurate information, the crap google spews out is for like very high offense things such as "man points laser at helicopter, is confiscated and searched" blablabla. That sort of thing. I want to know because I miss having a powerful laser around, haven't had one since like 2011, and I moved to a new location in the US where the night scenery is perfect for powerful astronomy lasers.

But as you know the FAA or whomever restricts the power limit to only <5mW of power, which is ridiculously stupid.

Another thing, I used to buy from o-like lasers, but I went there just now and it looks like they still ship to the USA. If the USPS tells me they are "holding" the package, and they send the police on me while I retrieve the package, what am I supposed to do at this point?

This is just very uneventful because I'm like friendzoned but with something stupid. I can't go left or right, can't do anything because I'm scared they might do something rtded when my package finally arrives after 3 fing weeks and send me a "notice". But in actuality it's a sting operation :\.
Your confusion rests with confusing
targeting aircraft, law enforcement personel with importation. They are related but separate issues.

The federal law states clearly you can be fined or imprisoned or both for importing a classes 3b-4 handheld battery operated laser.... . Such lasers are targeted because they do not meet FDA standards. Or is it CDRH? In actual practice it is unlikely any harsh action will be taken other than confiscation of said laser. Some states and local municipalities have laws. The alternative is to build your own high output laser.

Last edited:

trephanation

The alternative is to build your own high output laser.
I'd recommend this route. You can get a diode from DTR and a host/heatsink from a variety of sources on here (check the sticky) and have a customized laser that you assembled yourself for well under $200 with nothing going through customs. All you need is a soldering iron, safety glasses, and batteries. I realized quickly this is the way to go after having a cheaply manufactured laser's threading and hardware crap out on me after two weeks of use.

Reactions: GSS
Depending on the host used he might need a bit more than a soldering iron. At the very least you will also need some shrink tubing to insulate your exposed wires. But, if you are still importing to the US you are worried about something that is so rare I cannot think of a person, off hand, who has gone through a confiscation.

I've lost WL packages to customs before. The package just disappeared and I never heard anything about them after that. No warning letters or anything, just never got an update on the tracking info after the package went into customs. Eventually the tracking info said lost shipment

That's in California? That's amazing as I have looked for people who have lost parcels to customs and have had little luck in finding any. I hope you were able to get your lasers sent back out to you as that is not what I would expect in the US. In the few cases where a laser was lost to customs they always sent a letter to the individual who was expecting it. Has WL been placed on a watch list?

Nah, this was back when I lived in the midwest USA, back before the FDA started aggressively redlisting laser companies. WL ate the cost of the lost packages, had to ship out another laser for me. At the time, all they had to do was change their return address to slip past customs. I never received any letters about it - maybe I'm one of the few that got lucky?

I think WL started the blacklist of portable lasers lol, they made high-powered lasers that weren't green or red in color accessible to the public. When it first came out in 2010, a 1W 445nm Arctic was $197 when 10mW of 473nm was $2500. It was pretty understandable why WL got a bad rep shortly after that, they were a company of 7 people doing a made-to-order business model when the Arctic was released...

Nah, this was back when I lived in the midwest USA, back before the FDA started aggressively redlisting laser companies. WL ate the cost of the lost packages, had to ship out another laser for me. At the time, all they had to do was change their return address to slip past customs. I never received any letters about it - maybe I'm one of the few that got lucky?

I think WL started the blacklist of portable lasers lol, they made high-powered lasers that weren't green or red in color accessible to the public. When it first came out in 2010, a 1W 445nm Arctic was $197 when 10mW of 473nm was $2500. It was pretty understandable why WL got a bad rep shortly after that, they were a company of 7 people doing a made-to-order business model when the Arctic was released...
Did you know WL started in the US?

Encap

After the MIB agents finish waterboarding and otherwise extracting information from you concerning your purchase of an illegal to import into the USA or sell from within the USA to a customer within the USA as an item of commerce hand held laser from an overseas outlaw source willing to attempt smuggling a laser past US Customs via various shipping techniques and false/bogus Customs declarations violating international agreed upon practices used in shipping, they often will just recycle you. ♻ you by tossing you into a modified wood chipper, designed to dispose of animal carcasses, feet first so you have a few seconds as it pulls you progressively further and further into the high speed spinning blades to say goodbye to yourself and the world. In other words you just disappear without a trace.
Don't worry it will only hurt for a few seconds. ☣ LOL

Last edited:
After the MIB agents finish waterboarding and otherwise extracting information from you concerning your purchase of an illegal to import into the USA or sell from within the USA to a customer within the USA as an item of commerce hand held laser from an overseas outlaw source willing to attempt smuggling a laser past US Customs via various shipping techniques and false/bogus Customs declarations violating international agreed upon practices used in shipping, they often will just recycle you. ♻ you by tossing you into a modified wood chipper designed to dispose of animal carcasses feet first so you have a few seconds as it pulls you progressively further and further into the high speed spinning blades to say goodbye to yourself and the world. In other words you just disappear without a trace.
Don't worry it will only hurt for a few seconds. ☣ LOL
ROFLMAO.... Yeah I'd be really worried....:oops:

Jerry