Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What happened to my laser?

JLSE

Ace82 said:
It looks like the crystals might be out of alignment.  Did you drop it or something?  And does it seem to have less power overall?  

The crystals cant get out of alignment, they are glued together. The combined set are also glued in place, the exit point from the set is what changes. Once that happens the beam will enter the expander at a different angle, the result is glare off the edges of the expander and a crooked beam which is collimated by the final output lens. If the shape of the beam exiting the expander is altered, even by a fraction, it becomes very noticable on the wall.

This behaviour is also seen when you burn up a set (t00 much pump), any damage from heat becomes permanent and etched into the nd:YV04 as a dark spot.

just looks like liquid on the lens (maybe from condensation or being sprayed with something) i would try compressed air first, if that fails use a microfiber cloth

JLSE

Does that pattern change or shift if the laser is left running?

JLSE

Try removing the lens and power the laser without it. You will get a expanded wide beam, you can clearly see odd patterns this way, and at least determine what section the problem is coming from.  If its an issue with the collimating lens, I have some that are still prime shape and glass :) I can send one your way if needed. If its the expander or the crystal, it will make for bigger challenge.

When I take off the first lens its still got the weird pattern and its a massive blob as well! :'(