Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What happend?

Have you noticed this as well?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I also noticed that the number of postings in the last few weeks had decreased very much. At first I thought that maybe the few postings for others would not be particularly interesting (mine too) or that holiday time would be the reason. These fallen words made me thoughtful. ...BUT ... apparently also other members have noticed this and try hard ... because it is probably uphill again here.

+ rep

Last edited:

I've noticed the activity has picked up a lot over the last day, seems we have an influx of new members this week, unusual.

I've noticed the activity has picked up a lot over the last day, seems we have an influx of new members this week, unusual.

I advertised the forum on a youtube video about lasers, maybe someone else did the same?

I haven't been here nearly as long as most of the people in this thread, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Pretty much everyone has noticed a decline in activity. Lasers pointers are a thing of yesteryear. The few of us here are just the last holdouts of a hobby that died in 2013-2014.

People will always want a "burning laser" as soon as they discover they exist, so we do still have a small influx of new members and likely always will. It's still a stagnant hobby though, and the very few of the new members we do get are unlikely to stick with it for very long. Everyone here knows this, regardless of whether or not they consciously came to that conclusion.

Are you into UAVs? You can build an airframe, rewire your motors, 3D print components, spy on your neighbors, program your own software, etc. Are you into model rockets? You can build a new engine, try out a new fuel mix, go out to the desert and watch people who are better at model rocketry than you explode several thousand dollars worth of model rocketry equipment, etc. Are you into laser pointers? Well then you can either go get a degree in physics, or you can buy lasers online. After a while, you might even try assembling some yourself, but you still won't actually be building a laser. If you're already a machinist you could even make some metal tubes to put the components in. How exciting.

My point is, after the initial "wow" wears off, there's not much to explore after you've popped a few balloons and lit a few matches. This is a great community, and I'm sorry for being so pessimistic, but there is nothing left on the horizon.

For many of us, burning things is the last thing we want from a laser. I also collect wavelengths, or colors to those that don't know. I am more concerned about my laser's coherence length than its power. The narrower the linewidth the better I like it. I also have made a lot of holograms over the years. So, there are more to lasers than burning things. ;)

For many of us, burning things is the last thing we want from a laser. I also collect wavelengths, or colors to those that don't know. I am more concerned about my laser's coherence length than its power. The narrower the linewidth the better I like it. I also have made a lot of holograms over the years. So, there are more to lasers than burning things. ;)

Of course, I use my lasers as tools all the time when doing experiments, but you and I are exceptions, not the rule. There's a reason we're still here and the hundreds of members with <50 posts aren't.

When you have mods inciting harassment (in violation of the site terms of use) it doesn't really encourage people to stick around.

We don't want you to stick around. Go troll some other forum. :banned:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MacNCheese
When you have mods inciting harassment (in violation of the site terms of use) it doesn't really encourage people to stick around.

We know you are an existing LPF member that
opened that 2nd LPF account to TROL thid Forum.

Why don't you tell us who you are here on LPF...
No need to slither back under your rock.

Jerry

Last edited:
Seems we have the situation reversed, instead of members being pulled from here into the chat group, we are pulling some back here now.

I certainly wasn't "pulled" from here and I wasn't "pulled" back either because I'm still there as well...

i actually started off using discord and came to LPF after some time. someone here made a laser server on discord, and i was active on both platforms until LPF went to shit

yoda.gif

Glad to see more members posting again, we are all interested in the same hobby, no reason to have light saber fights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.