Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What does it take to peel a potato?

I'm doing a school project and I'd like to know the ideal wattage and color you'd use if you were to use a laser to peel a potato. Ideally, it would burn the skin off but not do that much damage to the meat.
Also, would this be practical considering the amount of power it would take?
Thanks for your help!

Trevor

Uhh. You're most likely going to char the peel instead of burning it off... leaving you with a foul-tasting burned-on peel, instead of just a normal peel.

Trevor

Spooky

I'm doing a school project and I'd like to know the ideal wattage and color you'd use if you were to use a laser to peel a potato.

Very high Kilowatt / Mid Megawatt IR pulsed for a fraction of a second over the entire surface of the potato.

Failing that...

buy a knife :)

best wishes

Dave

Very high Kilowatt / Mid Megawatt IR pulsed for a fraction of a second over the entire surface of the potato.

Failing that...

buy a knife :)

best wishes

Dave
Thanks dave. The point of the project is to use something besides a knife so...
I thought Lasers, of course. I know it probably isn't practical, but practical things are boring.

Yep. Maybe a kW class CNC operated CO2 laser focused to about 100uM or so, with very high scan speed. That should be able to make slices through the water rich potato providing the depth of focus is great enough to make meaningful tangential slices out of the potato's circumference along one axis.

Yep. Maybe a kW class CNC operated CO2 laser focused to about 100uM or so, with very high scan speed. That should be able to make slices through the water rich potato providing the depth of focus is great enough to make meaningful tangential slices out of the potato's circumference along one axis.

I don't want to slice the potato. Is it possible to peel it without slicing it?

I don't want to slice the potato. Is it possible to peel it without slicing it?

All peeling [on a potato] is essentially a type of slicing. There is no self-cleaving membrane between the peel and the flesh (like in a banana) so when you peel a potato with a knife or a peeler you are actually making a thin slice to remove the peel.

no use the rotary device and make the head float with a presser foot to ride on the potato. much like a copy lath. use a little ingenuity lol

many hobby cnc devices come with a rotary tool so you can do pens, bottles or other small round objects. But to be honest the best you can do is make your own personalized laser engraved Mr. potato Head

Last edited:
Kinda like EpicHam just showed, its not gunna happen. Sorry bro but you lack the machinery, experience and money to make that work. Even those with exp really wouldn't realistically try that.

IsaacT

Your project is to peel it with something other than a knife? Here are some ideas:

Dremel tool
Sandpaper
An Irish Slave(may be illegal in some states)
A pickaxe
TNT/Dynamite

These will be more practical.

Your project is to peel it with something other than a knife? Here are some ideas:

Dremel tool
Sandpaper
An Irish Slave(may be illegal in some states)
A pickaxe
TNT/Dynamite

These will be more practical.

a cat's tongue might work too.
Cat_tongue_macro.jpg