Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What does "6x" or "8x" exactly mean?

I am slowly getting into lasers, so for you veterans, this is an easy question to answer, so get your posts here!

Obviously the bigger the number the better...iz all I am aware of.

It's refering to the write speed of the drive the diode came from. eg: the "8x" diode was taken from an 8x Blu-ray burner drive, Usually the Pioneer BDR-203, or the LG models.
the 4x,6x,8x, and 12x all refer to blu-ray diodes.

You might also want to know that there are some diodes that are from a 6x, 8x, 12x burners which are very weak (in regards to their robustness) and these diodes have more then likely have already been tested/experimented with. You are better off using the diodes that we vouch for. For example there is a diode called BDR-S03 (AKA BDR-F03) which are CRAP, these are simular to the BDR-203, but no where near as good. We only use a few differnt types of diodes that we use and can trust. Eg PHR-803T (BR diode), SF-AW210 (6x), GGW-H20L (6x), BDR-203 (8x) there are few more (eg 4x) but these are the main diodes atm!

Hope that helped! -Adrian

It's refering to the write speed of the drive the diode came from. eg: the "8x" diode was taken from an 8x Blu-ray burner drive, Usually the Pioneer BDR-203, or the LG models.
the 4x,6x,8x, and 12x all refer to blu-ray diodes.

Yeah im aware of the write speed of the drive, but really what i was looking for was "how is this number useful in determining efficiency of the laser?" Or does it not make a difference? I was given the thought that the higher the number the better the laser.

Well... basically the write speed is sort of a way of determining the efficiency.. The higher the number usually the higher the power. The faster the write speed the faster a diode can write data to a disc. Lets take the PHR for example... It can write on a disc at Y speed. A 4x diode can write a disc at 4 x Y speed... meaning its 4 times faster, then a 6x diode can write at 6 x Y speed.. meaning its 6 times faster. Now to write at these speeds you must produce more power to compensate for faster writing speeds.... but it is not linear and in no way is a 6x diode 6 times as powerful. So 6x, 8x, 12x or what ever determines the write speed of a drive.

Also, be on the lookout for GBW-H10L's. These are very, very weak diodes that are sometimes passed off as the real GGW's. The sled Rayfoss has is the GBW, it's been sold to a lot of people, so I wouldn't blame Rayfoss, I just wouldn't buy it. If you do buy a GGW, be sure to get it from Glenn (scopeguy20) he's a great guy and will go out of his way to help you.

Well... basically the write speed is sort of a way of determining the efficiency.. The higher the number usually the higher the power. The faster the write speed the faster a diode can write data to a disc. Lets take the PHR for example... It can write on a disc at Y speed. A 4x diode can write a disc at 4 x Y speed... meaning its 4 times faster, then a 6x diode can write at 6 x Y speed.. meaning its 6 times faster. Now to write at these speeds you must produce more power to compensate for faster writing speeds.... but it is not linear and in no way is a 6x diode 6 times as powerful. So 6x, 8x, 12x or what ever determines the write speed of a drive.

Well that definitely was alot of good information. So if some says "8x 240mw kryton host" is the "8x" part necessary if the "240mw" is given?

And are 12x's on the verge of becoming affordable? If so is there much point to buying a 8x now if 12x's are soon to be released or w/e.

Well that definitely was alot of good information. So if some says "8x 240mw kryton host" is the "8x" part necessary if the "240mw" is given?

And are 12x's on the verge of becoming affordable? If so is there much point to buying a 8x now if 12x's are soon to be released or w/e.

Dont take my word as 100% right its just what I think.

A 6x burner could have the current increased and it could go up to 300mw etc but it would kill the diode where as a 8x burner could be stable at 240mw and last a very long time, aye?

D

Deleted member 8382

of course it's necessary, by saying 240mW 8x, for instance, you know that you can make it more powerful if you want since it's set to low power now. If I don't say 8x or 6x or the diode type it could be a GGW (6x) diode at max power. This would be worse because the diode life would be much lower compared to a 8x at the same level.

This numbers shows the speed the diode was meant to work. Then there are differences. the bests 6x burners feature a GGW which is in fact better than the SF-AW210 many other writers have. So although this number is a good indicator, not only this number counts ;)

I hope that helped

Edit: I just saw marcuss answered some seconds before me. He's completly right. maybe not 300mW but yes, there could be some confusion ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaseth

The 8x part is indeed necessary because it tells people that it is not an overdriven 6x, which would make it burn out after using it for a short time.
If you want an answer to your second question, you should probably read through these threads:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pioneer-12x-blu-ray-bdr-205-a-44607.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/12x-murder-fund-complete-45355.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/8x-diode-murder-fund-43993.html

Have fun for the next couple of hours!

Seb

of course it's necessary, by saying 240mW 8x, for instance, you know that you can make it more powerful if you want since it's set to low power now. If I don't say 8x or 6x or the diode type it could be a GGW (6x) diode at max power. This would be worse because the diode life would be much lower compared to a 8x at the same level.

This numbers shows the speed the diode was meant to work. Then there are differences. the bests 6x burners feature a GGW which is in fact better than the SF-AW210 many other writers have. So although this number is a good indicator, not only this number counts ;)

I hope that helped

Edit: I just saw marcuss answered some seconds before me. He's completly right. maybe not 300mW but yes, there could be some confusion ;)

Thank you (and marcuss and jaseth) that was the answer I was looking for this whole time :) So my question has been answered by "That number doesnt necessary state the power, but rather the limits or stability of the power".
Thanks again.

Wooooooo I answered a question about lasers correctly I feel 'speshul' lmao =D.
Glad to be of help <3