Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What do you think my duty cycle is? (Estimate)

I'd like to know if my duty cycle roams around 30/45/60 seconds.

1,35A linear Mohgasm driver M-140 diode.

C6 host with a typical C6 heatsink (aluminum, from Mohgasm).

Last edited:

I'd like to know if my duty cycle roams around 30/45/60 seconds.

1,35A linear Mohgasm driver M-140 diode.

C6 host with a typical C6 heatsink (aluminum, from Mohgasm).

I Wouldn't have it on for more ~45, duty cycles are pretty easy to tset, just keep it on until it gets warm then that is your ON and turn it off and wait it it goes cool then thats your OFF

I Wouldn't have it on for more ~45, duty cycles are pretty easy to tset, just keep it on until it gets warm then that is your ON and turn it off and wait it it goes cool then thats your OFF

It gets warm after only a few seconds... Not HOT, but warm.

It gets warm after only a few seconds... Not HOT, but warm.

You might look into getting a copper heatsink. It will pull the heat away from the module a lot more efficiently, taking longer to heat up. The only downside is, it then takes longer to cool down than aluminum would.

Regardless, I wont let mine run for more than a minute straight. And then I let it cool off for probably a minute as well... I dont know what my actual duty cycles should be, but thats what I feel comfortable with...

You might look into getting a copper heatsink. It will pull the heat away from the module a lot more efficiently, taking longer to heat up. The only downside is, it then takes longer to cool down than aluminum would.

Regardless, I wont let mine run for more than a minute straight. And then I let it cool off for probably a minute as well... I dont know what my actual duty cycles should be, but thats what I feel comfortable with...

What about using it outside at -5 degrees celcius (23 Fahrenheit)

Copper will pull it away from the module faster, but holds onto the heat longer as well.

The fact that it's heating up quickly isn't necessarily a bad thing, as you know that it is pulling heat away from the diode rather quickly.

What about using it outside at -5 degrees celcius (23 Fahrenheit)

As you would expect, you could run it longer if you have a good cold environment. Just watch out for condensation! (inside the module)
Also, you can't really tell how much longer you can run it, unless you know the temperature of the diode inside. But I guess as long as the heatsink doesn't feel hot (like a mug of coffee) you should be fine.

But are you sure you want to use your lasers in a -5C environment? It's a bit cold ain't it?:thinking:

also..
these 445 diodes are robust- that means they can take overheating better than many other diodes-I don't tell you that to encourage abuse, but if you should get carried away and run it too long you have a pretty good chance of doing no real damage-

I go by some of the advice above rest it whenever it hots very warm- and yes ambient temp does play a role but once warmed up.. not so much.

You may just want to run it 30 seconds on and 20 seconds off- just to be kind to your laser. Remember that your are feeling the heat not of the heatsink but of the host where it meets with the heatsink- so its actually a little hotter than it feels.

I personally use a conservative duty/rest cycle even with handshelds that the maker claims need no rest cycle-- why do otherwise?? i dont really see any huge advantage in copper either.

good luck

hak