Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What colour to go for?

I would check out Lazerer.com. They are a very trusted sight, and it is relatively inexpensive. Blue for burning. The best they have is the 1.2 watt for about $150 ;)

First post, just need some advice!

I want to get a burning laser, just for messing around with and have no idea what colour to get. It seems blue is the best but by the sounds of it, you have to be very sensible!

How do green compare to blue for burning capabilities? And blinding?!?

Also, looked at the obvious wicked lasers, are there any others that are worth considering?

Cheers in advance

You'll want a red one.
StyroPyro, the authoritative LASERMAN of YouTube has a comprehensive video on which color at what power does what.

Basically if you want to burn stuff, IR lasers are your best bet , seconded by red lasers.

If you wan to have a bright laser show , go for green.
Since its the color of which the human eye is most sensitive to.

If you don't really care about burning or visibility but just want to look cool.
Go for blue , violet or yellow.
Those are quite some exotic colors to the common man . It'll surely wow your friends who are wearing safety goggles.

IsaacT

You'll want a red one.
StyroPyro, the authoritative LASERMAN of YouTube has a comprehensive video on which color at what power does what.

Basically if you want to burn stuff, IR lasers are your best bet , seconded by red lasers.

If you wan to have a bright laser show , go for green.
Since its the color of which the human eye is most sensitive to.

If you don't really care about burning or visibility but just want to look cool.
Go for blue , violet or yellow.
Those are quite some exotic colors to the common man . It'll surely wow your friends who are wearing safety goggles.

This is false, if you want to burn things 405nm is your best bet. Due to its shorter wavelength, the photons hit closer together so less of the energy is dissipated. At the same output power, 405nm(purple) lasers will burn better than 650nm(red) lasers.

And livinloud, he is trying to post like 4 youtube vids in a row.

Fixed that for your EpicHam. Only put in what comes AFTER the equals sign in the youtube url.

Last edited:
This is false, if you want to burn things 405nm is your best bet. Due to its shorter wavelength, the photons hit closer together so less of the energy is dissipated. At the same output power, 405nm(purple) lasers will burn better than 650nm(red) lasers.

And livinloud, he is trying to post like 4 youtube vids in a row.

huh....
Well I am no pro , so I'll just give what I saw a go.

In the end , the wavelength of the laser doesn't really matter as much on the scale we are using since the visible band is so tight.
What matter the most is the mode of the module.
Violet lasers are usually multimode lasers which means it'll give a really crappy rectangular wave and awful divergence making it less ideal than a "singlemode" lasers modules like 650nm ..

Or so I heard

YouTube link lesson: the end of a YT hyperlink looks like ......watch?v=Kb1dIOYurX8 but you ONLY put the part after the "=" in the YT tags here :beer:

IsaacT

huh....
Well I am no pro , so I'll just give what I saw a go.

In the end , the wavelength of the laser doesn't really matter as much on the scale we are using since the visible band is so tight.
What matter the most is the mode of the module.
Violet lasers are usually multimode lasers which means it'll give a really crappy rectangular wave and awful divergence making it less ideal than a "singlemode" lasers modules like 650nm ..

Or so I heard

Violet Lasers(405nm) are rarely multimode. Every 405nm laser I have ever heard of has been single mode with very tight divergence. Also, any laser wavelength can be made to be single mode. It all depends on the size of the emitter as to how good the beam will be. This is why most of the single mode Osram diodes we use are 3.8mm diameter package size as opposed to the 5.6mm package size of most diodes. The higher the output power, the more likely it is that it will have to be multimode. Also, if you have ever tried lighting a match with a 100mW 405nm laser and a 100mW 650nm laser you will appreciate the difference between their burning capabilities. Another reason for this is that 405nm light is absorbed better.

IsaacT

I had no idea how to do it when I first tried. I sat there and "edit post, change info in code, save. Dammit. Edit post, change info in code, save. UGHHHHH. Edit post, change info in code, save."

I finally just went to a post that had successful videos and pressed "Quote". When it brings up the reply box you can see how they did it.

I had no idea how to do it when I first tried. I sat there and "edit post, change info in code, save. Dammit. Edit post, change info in code, save. UGHHHHH. Edit post, change info in code, save."

I finally just went to a post that had successful videos and pressed "Quote". When it brings up the reply box you can see how they did it.

well now thats sorted out.
If a picture speaks a thousand words .
A video must speak a million :p

IsaacT

Depends on how many frames the video is. If it is a hundred frames, it is 100,000 words. If it is a thousand frames, it is a million. Just depends. :)