Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what bench heat sinks do you use?

We use some of these...

heatsink-z-bolt.jpg

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

I use those 12mm CNC shaft heatsinks and they work pretty well. You can just stack them up if you need more heatsinks. You can also try using shaft mounts such as this and mount it to other heatsinks or plates. The key is to look for "12mm" so they fit that Aixiz module.

For general purpose heatsinking, these days I tend to favor these types of heatsinks. I'd like to the exact ones I use, but that Techhood eBay store is closed for that annoying Chinese New Year. They're non-press type heatsinks that come with and mount a fan. They're also at the "standard height" that many other devices tend to use (galvos, mirrors, etc.).

Edit: those ones I meant above are the ones Cheech posted; however, I prefer the ones made for 445nm lasers because they have more surface area.

Last edited:
Wow, great suggestions, people. Many of these solutions seem applicable. Thank you.

Last edited:
Like fool I passed up a chance to buy a huge box of these w/fans (but not drilled , of course).
I picked up a few from Mitch( formally Astrotoo now R&D tech) at only 8$ each and 'thought' I could stop in on a future trip thru Melbourne FL- but Mitch parted company with this surplus store and now I no longer make trips to Florida-- no telling what kind of deal I would have gotten on 50 of them!!

Similiar ones are FS at FeeBay all the time.
I found that just buying a few 12mm drillbits was easier than any other way to make these blank module ready- & did you ever see so many fins!!

Attachments

• misc bird-dongle-LSI RI argon zoe danaparty panoramic 052.jpg
    misc bird-dongle-LSI RI argon zoe danaparty panoramic 052.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
I like that style in the OP where it clamps onto the module like a clamshell. I'm surprised that we don't see more like that for portable hosts instead of the usual oversized 12mm hole w/ set screw.

I like that style in the OP where it clamps onto the module like a clamshell.

Ditto. I've learned the hard way with LED's >10watts that the interface between the die and the heat sink is more critical than anything. A clamshell type heatsink puts pressure on most of the cylindrical area of the diode module allowing for a very efficient and large transfer area. Screw types push one side of the module against the inside wall of the heatsink, but what about the other side? This is where very tiny deviations of machining make a lot of difference.

I have one of the Z-bolts above in a projector, and it's a nice clamshell type, but it's also twice as large as it has to be. Long fins just cause heat to 'puddle up' between the fins which is why short stubby fins work better for passive cooling for longer operation. However, if you're using the heatsinks for short bursts then it doesn't matter. You then just need the additional metal to act as short term heat storage while dissipation efficiency is a secondary concern. Copper of course is superior to aluminum in terms of heat transfer, but as I recall aluminum has better energy storage characteristics.

Last edited: