Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What are Galvos Lasers capable of doing?

I purchased a 50W $50K galvo from a slick salesman under the guise it could do something else.
In the lemons to lemonaide mode now, what are the commercial uses for galvo lasers? What industries are they used in and how do you make money from them.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

pHeneX

You can make money from them by using the search button on the top right ;)

did your sales man also have some snake oil, or swamp land? i might be interested.

well a galvo can be used in part of a weather instrument or it can be use as one of many parts of a laser show. go search in the laser shows sections

michael

I purchased a 50W $50K galvo from a slick salesman under the guise it could do something else.
In the lemons to lemonaide mode now, what are the commercial uses for galvo lasers? What industries are they used in and how do you make money from them.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
Did I read your post right? $50,000 dollars?
A scanning galvanometer is not a laser, it is only a part of a laser light show laser, used for manipulating the beam into patterns and animations.
The very best ones that I could find cost around $10k each. (complete systems) Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
I think you have been ripped-off, big time.

so green, i assume i will not be getting any snake oil? or wonder elixirs?

michael

Is the 50W a high power CO2 laser? Look for a long glass tube, probably about a meter long. It might be used for engraving, but I've never seen a commercial system with galvos for cutting, usually a sled or moving table.

Pics would help a whole lot.

On a small side note, I wish i had 50Gs to drop on an impulse purchase :D

I need to clarify since I got so many snide remarks.
I own a company in the apparel industry. I have not had to deal with lasers before. We needed some kind of laser cutter to cut fabric to make large designs to decorate apparel for colleges. Most of our stuff is cut on an x/y laser, which has a pinpoint clean cutting beam. But we need to cut the fabric on the garment. The galvo I have since discovered as a wide beam and makes a rough cut, which is okay for the more edgy abercrombie look, but it cannot cut the thicker items, as promised by said salesman.
It does etch really quickly. But what can we etch?
Fleece, wood, what industries and products use it, everyone says tons, i just need someone to list them or the products.
I am not interested in laser shows, this is a large piece of equipment.

Hi Ash,
I cannot post pics or name names, company has threatened to sue me and has already reneged on the 2 year warrenty, due to my negative attitude and the fact i posted its poor performance on utube. My choices are sell it for a loss or find out what it can do and get over it, or sue them, but it will cost more to sue them that what it cost.

It does etch really quickly. But what can we etch?
Fleece, wood, what industries and products use it, everyone says tons, i just need someone to list them or the products.
I am not interested in laser shows, this is a large piece of equipment.
I'm sure some type of business would want to buy it.
The list of businesses that use cutting lasers would fill a book, or two

I cannot post pics or name names, company has threatened to sue me and has already reneged on the 2 year warrenty, due to my negative attitude and the fact i posted its poor performance on utube. My choices are sell it for a loss or find out what it can do and get over it, or sue them, but it will cost more to sue them that what it cost.

As far as them reneging on the warranty, by law they can not do that.
A warranty is a binding contract. Unless you broke one of the conditions of the warranty, IE: abuse, improper voltage, etc., they just can't cancel it without a valid reason.
If you take them to court, (and win) they will have to pay all court/lawyers costs, if you include that in the lawsuit.

Talk to a lawyer first, before you contact them, to make sure you have a good case.(or course, I don't know all of the facts)
When you call them, record every conversation.
Make sure you bring up the subject of what the salesman told you it would do, and what it really will do.
If they won't talk to you, get a friend (with a hidden tape recorder) to go in, or call, and claim to need a laser that does something similar to what you told them you needed. IE: cutting thick paper or something.
Tell them the laser does not perform as stated by the salesman, ask them "do you have one that will do what I need, that we can exchange mine for"? (shows your willingness to help resolve the situation)
If they hang-up on you or tell you "fu@k you" that is great evidence.
If they bulk, say "fine, you can talk to my lawyer then"
$50K is worth fighting a lot for, don't let them bully you into accepting a product that does not do what they told you it would do.
Make sure you have all paperwork together. (I assume with $50K on the line, you have everything in writing?)
I have never had to eat a product that did not perform as promised. I've had to fight a good fight, to resolve a problem, but in the end it has always been resolved.
Good Luck!!

Last edited:
also if you do plan to sue, to not let them know about it. let your lawyer handle that. most states have a thing where if a person is threatened with a lawsuit they can in fact sue first to protect themselves, and in some cases they win because the 1st person is rarely even ready to head to court.

michael.

I did not bring up the lawyer part, they did.
Yes I have everything in writing. But I did find out from a lawyer a warranty written into a purchase contract is not binding. It has to be a separate warranty specifically addressing what it covers. It said bumper to bumper, which is not legalese.
I cant sell it, for $20K, so I am out $30.

I am not sure if I am using the right terms. I understand galvos are the motors that run the mirrors that deflect the beam from the large laser.

Yes it was sold to cut fabric and it does cut some types, just not on registration which is the most important part.

Company did not tell me if F myself, they just hung up, and when i call back everyone is 'in conference' or i just get the answering machine.

Last contact was by email, now I need to return it at my expense 1,200 for a 'free' retofit. Do you think I will ever see it again if I do that?

Next step is a plane ride for a personal visit. What a pain.

I still need to know what products use this type of laser so I can make some money to pay for it while i go through all the BS.

Does the table move or are there any moving parts besides the galvos? Galvos look like this
galvo.jpg

Galvos are pretty inefficient for cutting because the beam has to travel farther to get to certain parts of the work which would make it diverge and cut different sizes, especially if it is a CO2 laser. If it has a table that moves or if it has a moving head then technically it is not a galvo setup.

This is a moving head type setup
laser_engraving_1.jpg

I can't find a pic of a moving table setup because most laser cutters don't work that way but it would be pretty much backwards from a moving head setup. The table moves and the head stays in one spot.

A manufacturer name or model numbers might help if you have them.

Ash

...edit...it does cut some types, just not on registration which is the most important part.
...edit...
So. it does cut? Just not what you intended (registration). Do they accept straight Returns? Is that an option?
...edit...
Last contact was by email, now I need to return it at my expense 1,200 for a 'free' retofit. Do you think I will ever see it again if I do that?
Next step is a plane ride for a personal visit. What a pain.
No way. :crackup:
Hi Ash,
I cannot post pics or name names...edit...
All I was looking for was a description?
Just never heard of a $50K galvo :yh:
-Is it a big-ass table or box, or is it a smaller part for a large piece of machinery? See Pontiacg5's post:
...edit... Galvos look like this
galvo.jpg

laser_engraving_1.jpg

A manufacturer name or model numbers might help if you have them.
---------------------------------------------------------
...edit...company has threatened to sue me and has already reneged on the 2 year warrenty, due to my negative attitude and the fact i posted its poor performance on utube. My choices are sell it for a loss or find out what it can do and get over it, or sue them, but it will cost more to sue them that what it cost.
The company cancelled their 2-year warranty? Sounds really shady and dishonest. You have to get ALL your money back, at NO cost to you.
I am sure some Los Angeles lawyer would jump all over this. :evil:

Last edited: