Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weirdest diode I've seen.

Kenom

Ok, so I got me 9 dvd-rw's in external cases for $50 on ebay.  they are samsung se-s184 burners 16x with apparently lightscribe.  I purchased them with the intent to harvest the red diode in it and this is what I came up with.  There is one picture and one movie.  the movie shows the diode in its glory and the picture just two diodes.  The red on teh left and the IR on the right.  I'm curious to see if anyone can come up with some novel idea's for mounting this in an Aixiz module.

dsc00319ht7.jpg

http://img532.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Tmovie0001kj8

S

SenKat

DRATS ! That is worthless for an Aixiz module, man :( We can setup a deal, I think for a few GB diodes, since I know you need them for some obligations :)

Greg

Gazoo

Yeah, you might be able to use them for a labby. Factionsmight ran across that diode and so did someone else...you really can't do much with them...sorry.

or it would be a good candidate for one of them little square peltiers on ebay for around 8 dollars.

Kenom

well I think I can fit er into a module but it won't heatsink very well. I'll pm you about that there trade greg.

S

SenKat

you could ALWAYS post it like this, on ebay :

RARE, ONE OF A KIND HIGH POWERED BURNING RED LASER DIODE WITH HEATSINK !!!! {ONLY 9 AVAILABLE !}

Awe, C'MON....THAT IS SOME FUNNY SHIT RIGHT THERE....ONE OF A KIND ? 9 AVAILABLE ??

chimo

I suppose you could always file/grind a flat on the back part of a module and then epoxy the LD to it. You would have to remove it from the existing heatsink. A benefit for this method would be keeping the ability to focus, however, it may be difficult to allign and put in a flashlight.

Kenom

I was able to mount one in a module and got it to burn. I was not too impressed with teh output on this as it was probably about 75mw. pretty pathetic from a 16x burner. I've already toasted 3 of them trying to get them to fit into the module. Greenie witnessed the death of all three on webcam. hehe it was fun!

I'm pissed... Just opened up my new NEC ND-4571A, and found no standard diode. I found this weird looking diode (same as in startpost).
My first DIY laser ruined by a crappy burner :p. Can't do anything useful with the diode (it's mounted into the construction. No way I can remove it without braking my diode)
Too bad..