Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weird light "splash" around the dot

Dux

So I got my first three lasers from ebay. Just some cheap, allegedly <5mW pointers since I'm a beginner (although I think they are more powerful).

So anyways, I got a 650nm, 532nm, and 405nm. The thing is, the red one has this funny light splash around the dot. Now, I'm not too upset but I'd like to fix it if it's not too tough to do.

If possible, please explain it so a noob can understand. I've been reading a ton but am still not up on all the terminology.

The "splash" is the lines up on the upper left corner. The grid type efect is just from my iphone's camera.
photo-16.jpg

anselm

Something wrong with your optics. If your lucky it's just a little dirt on the outside of the
lens, if you're not so lucky the dirt could be on the inaccessible inside or even the diode window, or the lens might even be chipped, scratched (unlikely).

Sometimes it's just a hair or a little fiber in the lights way.

Do you carry the laser in your pocket?:D

Search for "lens cleaning" a couple threads will pop up.

Dux

I don't carry it in my pocket but it gets around. I'll definitely go check it out.

Dux

Ok, today I took off the cap and blew on it a bit but it didn't look like it had anything on the lens anyways. I have a lens cleaning pen for my DSLR I can use on it though.

If it's one of the 5mw reds that come from IQS on ebay (on the red, the whole host is black, with a tapered tip, while the green and violet are standard newwish hosts with the silver tip) the ones i've gotten like that had similar splash. The problem on mine was bad QC. the output aperture is just too small and the modules in the host aren't centered well. On mine the problem comes from the beam striking the edge of then opening in the tip. The only real solution, other than just removing the tip completely, is to just drill it out and make the aperture larger. (but not with it on the laser. :p )

Dux

All three of mine have the same look with the silver tip. Even if I take off the tip, the splash is still there.

Ah. Silver tip. Must be a newwish host. I'm not really sure what to say then. Sounds like the diode window might have come loose. Or it could be a problem with the lens.

Ah. Silver tip. Must be a newwish host. I'm not really sure what to say then. Sounds like the diode window might have come loose. Or it could be a problem with the lens.

Not likely the diode window.

It looks like the edge of the beam is being reflected from the aperture.
It helps to blacken the edges of the optics and the inside of the aperture to minimize internal reflections.

He said it did the same even after the tip was removed. That leaves the lens, the window, or the die itself.

JLSE

He said it did the same even after the tip was removed. That leaves the lens, the window, or the die itself.

If the lens is being held in by a brass ring, the light reflects as it passes..
I have seen this in china 5mW reds from DX..

Id have to agree with RA on this..

To the OP, any pics of the laser? mainly the lens without the 'cap'?

Last edited:

Dux

If the lens is being held in by a brass ring, the light reflects as it passes..
I have seen this in china 5mW reds from DX..

Id have to agree with RA on this..

To the OP, any pics of the laser? mainly the lens without the 'cap'?

I'll get pics.

JLSE

Looking at the brass retaining ring around the lens, id have to repeat what
RA_pierce said:

It helps to blacken the edges of the optics and the inside of the aperture to minimize internal reflections.

If you can remove that ring, use a Sharpe black marker, and coat the inside of
the 'hole' as dark as possible. Do it in 'coats' until no brass can be seen when looked
at under good lighting.

If that doesnt do it, it going to be another part that the laser is hitting and causing
that scatter...