Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Want to build first laser.

Okay I have read quite a few threads on building your own laser but I still have questions. Mainly just how to piece parts together. Can I buy this host and just shove this diode/module/driver assy in it? Also what is the difference between a drilled and non drilled pill? Besides the obvious being drilled part. Thanks!

Okay I have read quite a few threads on building your own laser but I still have questions. Mainly just how to piece parts together. Can I buy this host and just shove this diode/module/driver assy in it? Also what is the difference between a drilled and non drilled pill? Besides the obvious being drilled part. Thanks!

You'll be needing the drilled pill, also when you order your diode order with the half back. There's a thread on how to DIY a survival laser unit,use the search engine and find it

Thanks for the info I found the DIY thread. What does a half back mean? Also what purpose is the pill? I failed to see it mentioned in that DIY thread. Thanks.

Thanks for the info I found the DIY thread. What does a half back mean? Also what purpose is the pill? I failed to see it mentioned in that DIY thread. Thanks.

Normally, the pill would hold the driver, but you're going to order the driver attached to the diode. You'll need the drilled pill. Use the half back so it will all fit (the whole size back will not fit) it's all pretty tight in there.

If you scroll down on that page you linked and get it in the 22mm module it has the driver all you need is one of THESE and a battery, if 3.7-4.2 then a 18650 if 7.4v - 8.2 then 2 x 16340

Now if you want to build one that's just fine, but if you want easy then ^this^

Last edited:
Normally, the pill would hold the driver, but you're going to order the driver attached to the diode. You'll need the drilled pill. Use the half back so it will all fit (the whole size back will not fit) it's all pretty tight in there.

Thanks for the info! So do I have to order anything differently or just use only half of the assy?
If you scroll down on that page you linked and get it in the 22mm module it has the driver all you need is one of THESE and a battery, if 3.7-4.2 then a 18650 if 7.4v - 8.2 then 2 x 16340

Now if you want to build one that's just fine, but if you want easy then ^this^

I thought that connection type looked familiar! I would rather try putting one together myself with all the pieces. I think after I build one this should all make more sense to me.

Last edited:

Vision

HA! I was about to make a thread like this. Thanks Killfire.

Last edited:
You'll be needing the drilled pill, also when you order your diode order with the half back. There's a thread on how to DIY a survival laser unit,use the search engine and find it

The half back isn't going to fit with the driver attached, just remove and discard the rear part of the module to make it a little shorter. The pill will need a battery contact board, don't forget to buy one or you won't be able to assemble a working laser. You can also buy an already assembled pill with a battery contact board if you want to make it easier: DIY Battery Contact Board & Pill Module

Alan

Thank you Alan! That explains a lot. I didn't realise that the pill was what made contact from the battery to the driver in this case. It was pointed out to me that normally the driver was attached to the pill but seeing as how the module had the driver attached I wasn't sure the purpose of the pill. With any luck I'll get a refund from sci-fi and be able to build one instead.

I have another question th hat I hope someone will answer. I purchased a diode module and driver set from DTR and the S4 DIY kit from survival lasers along with a battery contact board. My question for when I go to build it is, will any of my build require thermal adhesive or thermal compound? I have some compound lying around for my computer but I don't have any adhesive. Thanks.

I have another question th hat I hope someone will answer. I purchased a diode module and driver set from DTR and the S4 DIY kit from survival lasers along with a battery contact board. My question for when I go to build it is, will any of my build require thermal adhesive or thermal compound? I have some compound lying around for my computer but I don't have any adhesive. Thanks.

Which diode did you purchase? A lower mw diode doesnt require much thermal adhesive/compound

I bought the Mitsubishi 180mW 638 and the 100mW NIchia NDG4216 515nm.

I think you will be ok without compound, and adhesive will be unnessicary

Note : if you purchase an extra pill/battery contact board you can use both diode/driver combos in one host, just a quick swap

Last edited:
I think you will be ok without compound, and adhesive will be unnessicary

Note : if you purchase an extra pill/battery contact board you can use both diode/driver combos in one host, just a quick swap
Thanks, glad to know it will be okay without it. If/when I do a higher power build, where do I put the compound and adhesive?

Thanks, glad to know it will be okay without it. If/when I do a higher power build, where do I put the compound and adhesive?

You will use the adhesive to glu
e the driver to a heatsink (for the s4 you order the heatsink pill) you compound on all joints,(threads) between module and heatsink etc

Btw, you WILL do another build, lol promise

Last edited: