Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Visibility vs distance

Thanks a lot for your inputs

My laser projector is arriving in a few days. Will keep you posted on performance /visibility/distance etc

Pranam

29 watts is a huge amount of white laser power, is that what you bought?

That could be what he is trying to achieve
with lasers...

@ Dridapada...
Any pics of the White Laser you purchased..:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

Encap

Be aware of the possible hazard you will create for aircraft if using outdoors and the legal requirements wherever it is you plan to use it

Reactions: GSS
i was thinking of that too, Luxor hotel does it and I bet they are within 10 miles of an airport too, but i'm guessing they don't use a laser to produce that beam and because of that are not restricted, or is it produced from a uber high power laser? I have my doubts it is.

edit:

The Luxor Sky Beam actually consists of 39 individual xenon lights with 7,000-watt bulbs. Collectively, the lamps sit in a room about 50 feet below the very tip of the pyramid. The room looks, surprisingly, like the backstage area of a theater with lighting panels, lights and ladders everywhere. And the switch that turns them all on? They’re actually on a timer, programmed to light up right around dusk and shut off before dawn.

Last edited:

Encap

Sounds like the OP is getting one of the Spectrum 30 series KVANT Bratislava, Slovakia laser projectors or some custom variation of it.
The RGB outputs are the same 29W mix as the outputs he stated his ordered projector has.
KVANT could tell him real world viability and visibility details for his proposed use/application- "white pillar of light" before any purchase. No need to guess I would think.

Price range is $35,000 to $38,000 see: https://lasershowprojector.com/laser-projectors/kvant-spectrum-lasers
also see: https://www.kvantlasers.sk/product/ld-30-spectrum

The Luxor Hotel - Sky Beam-solution for a "pillar of white light" is for many reasons is probably a better solution than a laser projector.

Dridapada---post some pictures of the projector in operation doing a "pillar of light" so we can see the reality of it and be sure to check legal and safety regulations for laser light shows wherever it is you intend to use it---aircraft safety is a big and real concern.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Here is a link I found on Luxor with costing
https://gamboool.com/luxor-light-ca...pace-and-what-is-the-light-bill-on-that-thing

I read somewhere Luxor light is an FAA designated markers for pilots to confirm they 're over L.A.
(What better way to get clearances.)

My location is more than 20 miles from nearest airport without any flight path crossing is and we are outside of Laser sensitive flight zone.

Chapter 29. Outdoor Laser Operations

Even thought the above link is US regulations,it has been adopted world over for Laser safety for aircraft

It is comparatively safer to point laser beam vertically up , where the probability of aircraft crossing directly over the beam is less, compared to a horizontal beam.

I did wish for Luxor beam effect .Due to space and heavy maintenance cost in operating 39 nos of 7kW xenon search Light, laser had lower life cycle costs. So I settled for a spectrum 30 from Kvant.

Will send pics next week .

While reading about the L H S L, the article said it is no longer run all of the xenon lights. When it did run them all pilots could see the beam from 100 miles away.

Wow. I didn't post here when it first appeared as I had nothing of substance to add. I see now I should have just to get the information here. I did not know that about the Luxor xenon lights. :thanks:

Hello

I got the projector. Learnt a lot while trying to measure the beam length at full power by projecting horizontally - 10 km(white)

Yes- the white beam(28W) is more visible than The 10 W green as the white beam length was visible for 2 more Kms.

Oh yeah - world is round and the beam appeared vertically projecting skyward 10 kms away

But for our actual requirement of creating a vertical pillar of beam - visibility is hugely dependent upon general lighting, Unified Glare Rating (UGR) in the viewing area.
Currently visible only for 1.5 km for vertical beam.

Also learnt that if only we place the source of light, at higher plane then the beam appears to be vertical from different places, else it's a different beam angle for different view points.

One misunderstanding was the beam divergence rating , where rated value is 1 mrad at full angle.
But for a single beam - divergence was much lower , which explains visibility at 10 km distance.

As we need thicker beam, currently exploring option of beam expander lens.
Opiphir.com had some basic info
Edmund optics seem to be having something specific to suit our needs.

Please do give your inputs/ suggestions..

Encap

But for our actual requirement of creating a vertical pillar of beam - visibility is hugely dependent upon general lighting, Unified Glare Rating (UGR) in the viewing area.
Currently visible only for 1.5 km for vertical beam.

Also learnt that if only we place the source of light, at higher plane then the beam appears to be vertical from different places, else it's a different beam angle for different view points.

One misunderstanding was the beam divergence rating , where rated value is 1 mrad at full angle.
But for a single beam - divergence was much lower , which explains visibility at 10 km distance.

As we need thicker beam, currently exploring option of beam expander lens.
Opiphir.com had some basic info
Edmund optics seem to be having something specific to suit our needs.

Please do give your inputs/ suggestions..

You should be/need to be talking with KVANT about creating the effect you want. Perhaps KVANT can make a specialized beam expander designed to be mounted on their projector and compatible with it's output power however the beam brightness will be reduced because you will be lowering the power density of the beam by whatever factor expansion you use-- you will get fatter, lower divergence, and less visually bright beam with an expander.
Maybe the projector can be programed to create the illusion of a fatter beam or something more like you envisioned "pillar of white light". Sounds like will need several projectors to get the effect you want.
KVANT does make a low divergence upgrade that has a 10mmX10mm beam --- they claim "The SPECTRUM 30W “LD” or so called Low Divergence “upgrade” affects the laser beam so it is bit thicker at the source, but much more coherent further away. And that makes it more than twice as bright and visible at distance when compared to standard systems."

Did you get a special purpose custom built unit from KVANT or a standard projector with full projector capabilities?

Last edited: