Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video proof the Krapton ain't IR filtered

LaZeRz

They can't add IR filters to kryptons. The filter would melt.

Ablaze

o.0

An IR filter will filter out some percentage of IR. For a laser that powerful even a filter that filtered out 99% would be visible on camera once you filter out (almost) all of the green. What that kid is seeing could easily be the small percentage of IR that is getting through the filter.

Last edited:
Guess it would have to be tested with a Laser Power Meter to know
how much IR there really is...

Jerry

Jerry

I call BS. Since when have we needed a power meter to test the power of lasers? :na:

seriously, though, I'd second the motion, but I think RG found this on youtube, and it isn't his laser.

mfo

Jerry

The only way to truly know is by measuring with a spectrometer. An LPM would yield horribly inaccurate results.

Ablaze

The only way to truly know is by measuring with a spectrometer. An LPM would yield horribly inaccurate results.
LOL. Well you know what they say, "when all you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.";)

Not sure...this is a picture I took a while back when I had my 445 laser.

Glasses.jpg

With both glasses over the camera it looks pink. I took my dino green 100mW+ green laser (I have a thick IR filter in it) and shined it at a white surface, then took my radiant glasses for 445 and 532nm and put a red flashlight filter in front of the camera as well. The camera saw it as a pinkish dot. Not exactly like the video, but it did make the whole thing look pink.

So it could be a TINY bit of IR leakage, but a bunch of red in front of the camera lens does skew the coloring a bit.

Last edited:
If something is burning HOT enough under the dot, it should emit some camera visible IR...

but that doesn't mean the laser is emitting IR.

The video showing the bare dot on the wall, not burning anything seems to show the characteristic 808nm color as shown by CCDs.. Also think of the fact there must also be some 1064nm light coming out of the aperture which is not detected by the camera.

Romogracie, another good way to verify your experiment would be to pass the beam through an ordinary prism or decorative gem to separate the wavelengths in the beam. Through the camera, you should be a green dot, and a spread of 808nm diffracted to the side of the green dot. Let us know if you see anything interesting.

Anyone else notice that it's taking two of the supposedly new and improved "laser shades" to actually block out the green light?:eek:

Anyone else notice that it's taking two of the supposedly new and improved "laser shades" to actually block out the green light?:eek:

heh yep. Those shades look pretty terrible.

I love the last quote of the video too:

"Wicked Lasers better not be lying..." :crackup:

I noticed that as well. I guess if a company doesn't give a shit about making quality lasers they shouldn't be expected to provide quality safety glasses either. :banghead: