Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Usual laser and aircraft news

Yeah, what nut case !! Dulles is a major international airport for the Washington, DC area. You are right , they probably should "Throw the Book" at his stupid ass . Not just a small paperback book either. Throw a really heavy "Hardback" one. :spank: :eg: :

Last edited:

Rafa

Kill it with fire!

Thanks to this kind of retards, people say I can't handle a laser! (I'm 16)

KILL'EM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benm

Another day, another idiot.

With some many cases going around it seems the chances of an actual disaster are very low, but its only a matter of time until a worst case scenario unfolds and a plane actually does crash with laser pointers being a factor in the ordeal.

Such an incident isn't very likely to occur on a commercial flight in the US or EU though. I bet the first ever crash due to pilot blinding will be somewhere in the developing world at an airstrip that doesn't feature ILS, has ground control with its radar out for repairs and adverse weather conditions.

With aircraft and airports equipped to handle landings in near-zero visibility conditions, it would be hard to blame a laser as the chief cause of a crash. In developing countries such systems are often absent, and worst-case even a go around isn't feasible due to a combination of bad visibility and terrain.

I hate how it does portray lasers as tools of terrorism and destruction though. I'm affraid authorities will see banning lasers as a simple fix, even though so far they have not lead to any loss of life in aviation. Its just that banning lasers is so much easier than banning flocks of birds loitering around airstrips :(

I do think that every one of these incidents though puts us one step closer to an outright ban of sorts, unfortunately.

And in the comments, as usual, someone saying "why can't they just make a windshield that filters out laser light" ... Sorry, that dog won't hunt. No. Just no.