Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Urgent! Red laser problem

I have a 5mw, 650nm, class 3 laser that I bought from amazon thats beam is really faint/weak. I had it hooked up to a power supply giving it 6 volts and it worked fine as I am using it for my laser audio transmitter project. I stepped up the voltage to 9 volts(not thinking) and now my laser casing smells burnt and the beam is really faint. I need to know if theres anyway to fix it quickly and if it will still transmit the music whether its faint or not.

Please and Thanks!!

I imagine you fried something on the driver. Unless its just the diode in which case you LEDd the diode.

Do you think it would still transmit the sound over it? I just need it to work for my project demonstration.

Do you have a link of what you purchased? Depends on how faint the dot is and whats receiving it. I.E. Whats your setup?

Go to ebay. You can pick up 10 of the 5mw reds for like 5 bucks. Then build your self your own driver. Google search ddl lm317 driver. It will cost you about 5 bucks to make.

In the future, don't mess with the power. Remember that the speed of light is constant. So a stronger laser won't get you faster results.

Good luck

I am pretty sure the ebay modules have a driver already attached. All you need to do is hook it up to a DC power source.
Just don't blow it up with too much voltage.
Power it within the range specified... usually 3-5V depending on the module.

I saw a 10 pack yday. I'm pretty sure they were diode with leads. But either way 10 for 5 bucks... Boom!!!

I have a 5mw, 650nm, class 3 laser that I bought from amazon thats beam is really faint/weak. I had it hooked up to a power supply giving it 6 volts and it worked fine as I am using it for my laser audio transmitter project. I stepped up the voltage to 9 volts(not thinking) and now my laser casing smells burnt and the beam is really faint. I need to know if theres anyway to fix it quickly and if it will still transmit the music whether its faint or not.

Please and Thanks!!

Amazon.com: YAWA Lights 5mW Red Laser Pointer with Kaleidoscope Projection Cap: Office Products
This is where I purchased the laser. As for my setup I have my laser hooked up to an audio output transformer receiving a signal from my iphone. From there the laser transmits the signal to a phototransistor hooked up with a 10k and 100k ohm variable resistor and computer speakers.

That Amazon Laser uses 2 AA or AAA batteries.
That means it works on 3.0VDC..
You applied >3VDC and obviously blew the driver
or Laser Diode.

You can easily make a 3-5Volt regulated supply to
prevent damage in the future.
You can also use cheaper local Dollar Store Lasers
that run off 3pc 1.5VDC button cells. Those work
great on a standard LM7805 5V Regulator.

Or as suggested above get some Laser modules on
eBay.

Jerry

Last edited: