Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UPDATED WITH NEW PHOTOS!! :) Couple of beam shot pics!

:thanks:

Maybe you can find a used one on ebay. You can often find ones with a low shutter count and in very good condition, for considerably less than new. ;) :beer:

Cheers for the comments! Glad you all liked the pics. :) :beer:

Edit: Nope straight out of the camera and levels, sharpness etc adjusted with Lightroom...;)

Last edited:

Blord

Looking very good. I wish I had mountains in my backyard :)

Thank u very much for sharing. I see that u have a long period of exposure,anyway, the beam quality looks excellent.but the later ones show that the tripod was not fixed well,for the stars becomes a line. lol, thx

Edit: I couldve sworn I posted on this earlier today, love the pics!

Uh, that's due to the Earth's rotation you know, the mountain would move with the stars if the tripod did ;)

Last edited:
Thank u very much for sharing. I see that u have a long period of exposure,anyway, the beam quality looks excellent.but the later ones show that the tripod was not fixed well,for the stars becomes a line. lol, thx

Thats true the exposure was quite long and just over 4 mins in some cases, but the lines are called star trails. The stars are so far away that as the earth rotates they appear stationary. Thus, as your point of view changes over the time of exposure, this gives rise to a line on the image. Its much like a car driving past with its head lights on, in a long exposure night time shot, only that we are moving respective to the stars, rather than the car moving respective to us. Admittedly there is a tiny bit of zigzag movement in the trails and this could be due to very minor vibrations, as the shot was taken on a balcony and a few people were walking around! ;) :beer:

Edit: Sorry missed ZRaffleticket's reply!:thanks:

Last edited:
Thats true the exposure was quite long and just over 4 mins in some cases, but the lines are called star trails. The stars are so far away that as the earth rotates they appear stationary. Thus, as your point of view changes over the time of exposure, this gives rise to a line on the image. Its much like a car driving past with its head lights on, in a long exposure night time shot, only that we are moving respective to the stars, rather than the car moving respective to us. Admittedly there is a tiny bit of zigzag movement in the trails and this could be due to very minor vibrations, as the shot was taken on a balcony and a few people were walking around! ;) :beer:

Edit: Sorry missed ZRaffleticket's reply!:thanks:

Yea, i agree with u of such a phenomenon,though i dont think that is the reason.The exposure time is not long enough to cause such a long line(in my opinion).The angle could be make out through the exposure time.And u could also check out how long of the period when record the night sky.What is more, u cant fix the tripod on the balcon. U should fixed on the floor,far from the road, in a windless day i think . For any disturbance could cause vibrations.BTW, if these pics had clear stars on it, it would be remarkablely beautiful.

The exposure time is not long enough to cause such a long line(in my opinion).

Obviously it is...;) Heres the metadata for the 2nd cropped 405 shot:

Exif.Image.Make = Canon
Exif.Image.Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Exif.Image.Orientation = 1
Exif.Image.RowsPerStrip = 171
Exif.Image.StripByteCounts = 131328
Exif.Image.Artist = Ant
Exif.Image.ImageWidth = 5120
Exif.Image.ImageLength = 3318
Exif.Image.BitsPerSample = 16
Exif.Image.Compression = 7
Exif.Image.Copyright = Anthony
Exif.Image.0xc614 = Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Exif.Image.0xc68b = _DM49618.CR2

Exif.Photo.ExposureTime = 266/1
Exif.Photo.FNumber = 56/10
Exif.Photo.ExposureProgram = 9
Exif.Photo.ISOSpeedRatings = 200
Exif.Photo.DateTimeOriginal = 2013:01:01 22:09:29
Exif.Photo.DateTimeDigitized = 2013:01:01 22:09:29
Exif.Photo.ShutterSpeedValue = -8055282/1000000
Exif.Photo.ApertureValue = 4970854/1000000
Exif.Photo.ExposureBiasValue = 0/1
Exif.Photo.MaxApertureValue = 3/1
Exif.Photo.MeteringMode = 5
Exif.Photo.Flash = 0
Exif.Photo.FocalLength = 200/1
Exif.Photo.SubSecTimeOriginal = 97
Exif.Photo.SubSecTimeDigitized = 97
Exif.Photo.FocalPlaneXResolution = 4896000/1290
Exif.Photo.FocalPlaneYResolution = 3264000/836
Exif.Photo.FocalPlaneResolutionUnit = 2
Exif.Photo.CustomRendered = 0
Exif.Photo.ExposureMode = 0
Exif.Photo.WhiteBalance = 0
Exif.Photo.SceneCaptureType = 0
Exif.Photo.0xa432 = 70/1 200/1 0/0 0/0
Exif.Photo.0xa434 = EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

As you can see the exposure was 266 seconds, which was plenty of time for some star trails...Don't forget also the photo was cropped to show the top of the mountain, so we have also zoomed in on the trails.

The angle could be make out through the exposure time.And u could also check out how long of the period when record the night sky..

????????

What is more, u cant fix the tripod on the balcon. U should fixed on the floor,far from the road, in a windless day i think . For any disturbance could cause vibrations.

Of course you can set up your tripod where ever you wish. Yes in a perfect world it would be away from everything, on solid ground, on a very sturdy tripod, in a sheltered area and with no seismic activity lol, but we cant always have the ideal conditions...Obviously here the vibrations have not affected the photo anyway. If they had, the image would be blurred and sharpness would suffer. You seem to forget that if the camera were to have moved the distance you suggest during the photo, to create those trails, then the whole photo would be a blurred mess...:whistle:

BTW, if these pics had clear stars on it, it would be remarkablely beautiful.

Well with the exposure time that would be a little difficult. Perhaps we should have stopped the earths rotation for a few mins, just for that perfect photo...;) Oh well maybe next time. Sorry:rolleyes: :beer:

Last edited:
Wow looks fake! so gorgeous you live in a gorgeous place to. how much was that blue laser Im interested.