Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

**UPDATED:- )__FEELER FOR DFWTEXLEM in Oct2019 cancelled ****THE LEM Thread......SELEM, TEXLEM..any LEM--

___________________________FEELER--please read entire OP *then* see new posts and add your thoughts and ideas--this is short notice SO__ we will need as much help as possible--
a warning ...like lasers--LEMs can be addictive--you may find yourself wanting to host one near you.
I have for sure left a few names out-- sry-- MOST NEEDED-the right venue-- more on that later-- can be located anywhere near DFW- see new posts on what we require--- 'perfect' venues are extremely rare...

****** BELOW IS ORIGINAL OP. ABOVE IT NEW --READ--- unless you are afraid that your life(laser) is about to CHANGE-AND MAYBE you cant handle that..
___________see newest post for 2018 update SELEM_______________________________________________
THE AIXIZ HOUSE FOR TEXLEM WAS FLOODED W/ 26 " OF WATER- check here later

Because we are myb confused a little ..threads on LEMs have gone up in 5 different boards..
HENCEFORTH lets keep them ALL in this board...LASER SHOWS.
SELEM is almost here --10fenny has a thread here:

_____ http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/selem-11-anyone-100949.html ____________
When I began working on TEXLEM II --(during TEXLEM 2012) I knew it had to be affordable , if not for all, at least for me. ..and so far
this is going to happen.:p
the first two invitees were Rod and Rick.
Rick (& Tiffany) have done me HUGE favors (as has Rod) that I will never be able to pay back.:thanks::thanks::thanks::san::san:
Rod gave me a place to sleep and fed me while in Austin when he treated me to his FAV BBQ place in Austin--YUMMY!!
and we had a sweet pop=up mini LEM..it was super. House with high dome- ceilings ..awesome for LUMIA!!! yeah...big thanks also to Agent Casey who arranged the'venue'
:thanks::thanks::thanks:
Rick &Lady Tiff has also invited me into their home like I was kin.

AND twice they allowed me to ride w/ them to SELEM.
w/o them I was going to be a SELEM no-show.

THUSLY-- I am hoping they can come down to Houston and give me a chance to do some 'payback'

I first met Rod at TEXLEM 2012- and it was a less than perfect deal== as only one of ~8 dorm rooms had a bed-- I thought I tested well the six air beds I brought-- apparently NOT as when I check on Rod the second day he was lying on a deflated air mattress and it was clear he had not gotten much sleep --very sorry Rod--let me make this up to you please. And your wife is more than welcome.
This very nice home has not been occupied for some time--those next door are used to NO cars=No noise/music etc etc coming from the house. And the homes are quite close to each other...what to do???
aha
Do a RP (rear projection) Living Room window Halloween Laser show for the kids and pass out great treats--

however --that falls on tue.

but I will very likely still be packing up and can stay one more night to please the neighbors AND the kiddos. There is a chance we can use this house again.

I will be knocking on doors the week before and handing out cards w/ my phone numbers so, if needed they can call us should there be need= we will need to be mindful when /where parking etc.

if you miss a local Halloween party--c'mon... there will be future Halloween parties BUT only ONE TEXLEM II.
.. who knows it may be my LAST LEM. (I turned 70 on July 3). AND ATM it looks like the stars and planets are perfectly aligned for this.
No cost for the 'venue' ..and 'Indoor Camping' at the site --we all eat no matter where we are.

BUT with the smoked animals I can bring we can feast on a dime.
--so subtract those savings from your overall costs to attend and it becomes a no=brainer
-- My list of possible 'attendees' numbers over 20-- so if only half can come.. IMO its still a big success.
One room WILL be dedicate to LUMIA'
I have >nine gas lasers to use w/ LUMIA 145mW Argon ML six lines. 3 green HeNes and one yellow HeNe= LOTS of red HeNes ( *may* add a red Hene to the door prize pool.) == and more 'glass movers' than lasers!!--
this event will be a photogs dream..

. IIRC the living room has vaulted ceiling. I will begin setting up the week before.. and staying over till after Tue.
You will meet Dr Chuck of AixiZ who is our host and resides just a few bocks away.
What we are lacking AM:
More confirmed attendees
WiFi for the event.
Laser Stands
med step ladder ( I wil brig a step-stool but...

Hak host..

'maybes' aside from Tiff and Rick and Rodman (&me)
KMitch
Kaphe8ted
Laserface ( will be unable to walk much so..foot surgery)
Platinum ( you just NEVER know when Jonathon drops into a LEM)
300 Evil
LaserSpectacals Tim Walsh (San Marcos)
Isaak Austin
Kevin Massey and DFW LarryDFW
Gadget
Numerous PitMeisters-like Jack who towed my stuff to TEXLEM 2012.
5 or 6 of my GFs
Joopy-( El Paso)
_______
If you ever hope to have met in person>100 forums members (as I have)
you need to attend &/or host a LEM--only takes 2 or 3 attending to be an 'official LEM'..
It is impossible to fully describe a LEM-- just GO!! then you will have that 'AH HA, NOW I GET IT' moment.

you see..it is pretty much impossible that you will EVER be able to be around SO MANY projectors (20W in auditorium at SELEM alone- two other venues there)
and be allowed unlimited access.
take pics from every angle..
meet the PJ builders --watch them fine tune PJs align galvo scanners(demo by Tim)

and for some the BS&T room is essential to being there as we do not have much extra $$ but do have stuff to part with. and then have $$ to get home on..

Demo on loading and syncing the audio in the shows FREE in the PL Show Portal ...DOZENS of GREAT workS)
APC 40 Beyond tutorial/demo
If we can get Tim Walsh to come-- he does a great demo on tuning scanners.
Photo Op set=ups
Tunnel EFX
Liquid sky
and more.
what we likely do NOT need
6x6 movie screen
white sheets to cover the black plastic
scrims and rigging
sound sys.
name tags and liability waivers.
I still have some airbeds I can bring as well as bedding , pillows etc
AFAIK the house has appliances and I will bring towels. blankets. pillows etc for all.
I have all the pots/pans we will need.
and paper plates/ plastic ware etc.
rental cars== we need to NOT have more parked cars at the event
than necessary and we can pick anyADone up that needs a ride to & from Hobby Houston Airport
(very close)--BUSH airport however is 'way' north of Houston & we will be in SE Houston ..EAST
of Pearland.
we DO need
a LOGO -with TEXLEM II 2017 and AixiZ Laser used.
Ideas on T-Shirts or other event momentos..
like a nice patch we can sew onto a shirt ourselves etc.
AixiZ has a nice really laser engraver & I will see if we can have it at the event to both demo AND use for any engravings we want..so think about what you can bring to be engraved.
I figure that the lower we can keep the cost of TEXLEM II the higher the attendance.

AND a good Houston LEM will help future LEMs (everywhere_)including TEXLEM 2018.(in DFW or Austin areas)

PM w/ Qs
Len

REMEMBER ANY time two or more laser geeks get together to 'do' lasers it is a bona fide LEM--(pop-up and/or mini)-- Thread and Pics are required BTW....:whistle::D:san:UP

Last edited:

Re: THE LEM Thread

BUMP & reserved for list.

EVENT Canceled by Hurricaine Harvey-- the house had 36 inches of in the house..

ATM we are in feeler stage for FDW areap-Oct 14 to ?? Free 'PINK FLOYD'concert and Laser Show by Rick Hellman in Plano (near Dallas) 2019
if you want to help DFWTEXLEM 2019 PLZ PM me asap

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Len, sounds like you've got a great HalloweenTexlem planned, hope it's a huge success! :beer:
I'd love to get down there to experience one your Texlems, and meet you, but that will probably be be a long shot this year. :cryyy:

Reactions: GSS

What ever happened to the GreatLakesLEM that was talked about?? kiyo? mia

I hope there is little or no furniture. I will go and REALLY look this house over-I was only there once and for a very short time.
We went to closet near front door so Dr C could fetch some boxes of broken lasers for me to play with.
turned into several boxes & I was loading them.. and he locked up and came out and we left.

In some ways a Mini LEM I

While not 'into' lasers much I still have lots of local friends who will be there..
so if local bring your lawn chairs..

JK we have chairs and tables from my homeys.

anyone wanting to come early (like WED.) and or stay late , like til Wed. I will be there.
Once all my gear is there, I will be staying.. join me.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

What ever happened to the GreatLakesLEM that was talked about?? kiyo? mia

I'm not sure about that, Len, I haven't heard any talk of a GLLEM, in at least a couple of years; it seems like we get quite a few enthusiastic members from this area, only to see them disappear after a little while, although we do have some great veteren members in the region.
What is really needed, is for someone to do the organizing which is a big job, as you can personally attest to.

We could use an experienced LEM planner who has a couple of LEM's under his belt, you wouldn't happen to know anyone with thise qualifications would you? ;);) :D

Last edited:

It's been several years since i was that way, Len. I think the last time was in 2001. I flew from here to Houston and stayed several months. Most of the people I knew back then have died in the intervening years. Maybe I'll get another chance to make it that way again, but not this year. I'm glad it won't be in August as it is way too hot and humid there already. I hope everything goes well for you this year. :yh:

Everything's bigger in texas.. teehee! I'm suprised.. but not.. at the lack of interest for any lem on this forum. I know the lem guys don't really like the pointer scene.. but there is so much more to lasers than handhelds. Also a lot of these guys have been into lasers for decades!!! So much info received with even a small chat from one of these guys. Last year I flew back to portland JUST to go to nwlem.. now I'm gonna drive 5 hours to North Carolina just for selem!!!

Last edited:

At SELEM they used to give out 'awards' including the attendee who has made the longest trip to make SELEM.

The winner was MasterP-- who flew in from Holland or near there..(sorry)

I won the award for 'Most Ghetto projector' (4 motor 6 laser LUMIA ) however on the Medal (on a ribbon) Ghetto is not spelled correctly -- as Getto==lol.
Many (including Daguin) have flown in from Ca. (where they USED to have one or more each year) to SELEM-​
from Dallas or Houston SELEM is more like a 17 hour drive.. my 1st SELEM I drove it alone...​
AND a pilot member has flown himself there from Fl..​
but afaik the all began small and in a home &/or garage..​
a barn would be interesting...​
#1 is VENUE-​
for med-to- Lg LEM​
needs to have power and water and restroom and parking.​
needs to NOT be near homes etc that may object to cars and loud all-night EDM.​
It can be better if the venue has NO fire alarm sys.. those and hazers do not play well together..​

a free hotel shower cap to cover will work but be DAMN sure its removed later-- I put a ribbon on the cover hanging down so you cannot miss it. At SELEM afaik the FD has come by every year. Even tho buffo knows them by now and reminds every year that we are back... the alarm manages to go off.​
there is MUCH more--will save for a thread of its own.​
BUT a LEM without signed witnessed Liability Waivers can be a big mistake.. as well as being totally open to the public=bad idea--even if they sign-- each must be responsible for their OWN safety.​
....You can 'steal' the SELEM waiver @PL) and change some parts--like changing SELEM to TEXLEM etc
At SELEM the only ones who do not need to sign... those firemen who have responded many times over the years..​
also any non-forum locals at SELEM still sign and are seated is a safe area in the auditorium and instructed to stay there.​

You will not pick a date that is 100% good for everyone ,,, but I do try to plan for best overall turnout... I really do need advice /support/help from members with LEM experience, like Tim Walsh, Rod, Rick and Greg 'Displaser'-​
Tim and Greg did the majority of the organization of TEXLEM 2012.... and it was great in every way... except we cannot get that venue again.. :-(​
By just driving around industrial areas I saw a For Sale sign on a small warehouse--called the realtor= and rented it for a 5 day weekend at $150--​
It was a POP up LEM w/o hardly any notice.. and drew a MOB of 17 souls= and only 5 were 'forum'​
it 'temp.' ended around 2AM when the sound sys went dead.. one friend moved his truck inside and cranked up his music so we 'kept on keeping on' til 4AM.. Liquor store next door Dominos a block away..​
I can never thank 300EVIL (& his DAD)and 'Plat' Platinum enough for bringing two 'REAL' laser 'projectors at STEXLEM 2009.and coming from so very very far away.:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:​

Last edited:

Jonathan's dad is a laserist? Ha

Last year's nwlem had a low turnout... last night made it "public free with waiver signature" got a few friends and my gf at the times mom to come by. She's a real party kid. Good times.. Plat is a good guy

No Evil300 aka Adam -was doing a (non laser) job hour north of me w/ his dad. and they brought a projector 2 or 3W full color-I know he 'dialed it back' some. Platinum flew down to help out with the mini LEM and bring his 2W 532 MG projector.. we walked right under the green liquid sky waving with the music... Adam sat 4 or 5 peeps together and put them inside the full color TUNNEL.. wow ...nice pics...
which brings me to the sad ending--the rent car Adam had was broken into-- and his dad's$$$ Canon is taken it had hundreds of pics.. all gone..that sucked in every way.. to save HUNDREDS they bought a side window at a shop and replaced it themselves . before flyin back to Wis. only surviving pics were on phones.. & then in 2010 te camera phones were not as nice as now.

Re: THE LEM Thread..SELEM, TEXLEM..any LEM

UPDATE..

WELL THIS KEEPS getting better and better..went Thur to AixiZ--great meeting!!
and while DR Chuck was too busy ATM all I got was the addy and more details--only saw a pic of the living room--it has two piles of boxes which will be moved--Chuck just got a 'mini/ barn'
behind his other house where he will store-- highceilings --all white bare walls.
Two of the BRs have beds== we can move them or work around.
the double garage has no windows and is empty- the back yard looks ideal.
two somewhat big windows out front.. perfect for RP laser shows. (from outside)

Tue night will be lots of fun

we were told that in that neighborhood there is a LOT of tricketrreaters.

& fun even If I am the only one left there.
in the last to houses I have lived in (~30 yrs) hardly any..

have speakers for the bushes and scary halloween sounds on CD.

I will be at the house full time on or about Oct 24th and leaving Tue Nov there are only 3 homes on this cul de sac-- empty lot next door and across the circle. Did not see any folks from next door but did see one checking his mailbox as I was leaving so I stopped and talked=looks like they are pretty laid back and should not object to our LEM..

the house has all appliances and GUESS WHAT??
WiFi!!
WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see its getting better..

The AC was running when I did my outside inspection.
the lawn had just been cut.

here are some pics of the place..

THIS SHOWS THE TWO LR WINDOWS .
ONE IS ~4 X 5 THE OTHER ~3 X 5

:thanks:
attachment.php

WE WILL PUT A BLACK COVER OVER THE AREA IN FRONT OF DOOR.
give it the cave-like look-- and where the good candy is!! so on Monday ( or maybe much sooner) when the black plastic is down from the window -place white paper for rear projecting ..one PJ per window -we can do same on both at same time OR do diff one on each.
( 2 PJs one control Beyond) or 2 PJ & 2 PCS unconnected.

Attachments

• tires on 315 and house for TEXLEM II 004.JPG
    tires on 315 and house for TEXLEM II 004.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 49
  • tires on 315 and house for TEXLEM II 009.jpg
    tires on 315 and house for TEXLEM II 009.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Looks like an ideal place len, I'm sure you guys are going to have a good time! :beer:

Looks very nice, Len. I hope it doesn't get over crowded there. :)

I am worried there will be too many and worried there will be very few.
no worries I will be able to set up every 'display' I know and be able to get the pics.

so far
garage ..beams shows
big bedroom ....LUMIA----lots and lots of LUMIA Im talking easy 7 W- in labbys and more in handhelds
small bedroom GasLaserLand.. I will have MANY Reds- 3 green henes and my Dr Sam yellow.
145mW six line ML-(not FS) 4 pcs SL argons 488,, (for sale)we will see and try to document the phenomenon of 532 pointers becoming (preceived) suddenly quite yellow in the presence of 488 argons.. we failed to take any pics when we experienced this 9 years ago --just forgot about it...I do not expect for the cameras to see it but who knows?

there are two beds in the house// power AC and wifi are on. all appliances there.

if any way possible we will live stream some of the event if asked.

Greg and I will do hot glass torture tube demo --all will go home with some tubes and lots of flat textured samples.

some suggested activities
balloon pop off
match light match
laser paint the backyard trees

"inside the tunnel of laser light"
Liquid sky near overhead and across your knees.
both top choices for awesome pics
I am having a friend take pics for us as well as what we take..he is good.

I may be there alone BUT there will be a night window laser show (RP) for the local kids Tue. I leave on Nov 1.

Free laser engraving--SO
Bring stuffs to engrave..

door prizes TBA

and more

Sounds awesome, Len. You've got me wanting to go and I live at least 2700 miles away. I can see me loading up my car with lasers to go to Texas for a laser enthusiast's meeting. Then slogging it back home again. It would take me a whole week to do it. Still, it sounds awesome!