Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Unhappy 18650

Last night I ran my 445 until the AW 18650 cut out. About 5-6 times I let it get a surface charge and turned it back on for ~5 seconds until it died again.

This morning I measured the voltage: 3V. Put it in charger for about an hour and it read 3.55V. Put it back in charger: after another 30 minutes it still reads 3.55V.

Did I damage my battery by leaving it @3V overnight?

PS. I have a cheap $10 charger.

PPS. The battery has only been charged ONCE. It was charged to 4.2V.

Last edited:

jakeGT

Charge it for longer than an hour
Does ur charger have a light that says when it's charged?

@SerpantSlayer it is protected.

@jakeGT Okay. Yes it has a light, but as with most of the cheap chargers, the amazon reviews say it never turns to green (indicating it's charged).

After about 30 minutes the batt reads 3.59V. Seems way too slow.... Should the voltage start quickly increasing to 4.2 now, the same way it quickly decreases after freshly charged?

Possibly a bad protection circuit on the battery, Possibly a bad charger.. Or it could be both. The actual battery itself is probably fine. You'll just have to eliminate a variable to see which it is. Which means trying to charge the battery in a different charger, or cutting the protection circuit off the battery.

IMHO.. Chargers are up there with safety goggles in places where it's not wise to skimp and get the 'absolute cheapest there is'.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm starting to realize that. Just picked mine up and heard a rattling.. upon inspection there was a nice chunk of solder rolling around in there. :undecided:

I guess that's what I get for $6 before shipping!!!

Anyway, at 1.72V now.

Last edited:
hmm. Don't cheap out too much on chargers (or batteries)... it could get very dangerous. I know Qumefox sells some 'checked out and reinforced' chargers (or at least I think he did) -- I may be interested in one actually... it's the "Charges pretty much any battery in this hobby" sort.. I forget the WF-xxx designation, Qume maybe you can help me out there...

Helios

If your referring to the WF-188 I would have to disagree. I have one and it will not charge to 4.2 only 3.85. It also always takes some jiggling and taking the batteries in and out to get it to recognize there is a cell in the charger. I dont even use it although I might have to when my A123s get here since they are a LiFePo4 cell.

I can however recommend LarryDFW's charger. Its a dual 18650 charger that charges each cell to 4.2V every time and has two indicator lights that DO turn green when the cell is charged. Its also only $10 and ships within CONUS so there is a few days wait instead of a few months.

If your referring to the WF-188 I would have to disagree. I have one and it will not charge to 4.2 only 3.85. It also always takes some jiggling and taking the batteries in and out to get it to recognize there is a cell in the charger. I dont even use it although I might have to when my A123s get here since they are a LiFePo4 cell.

I can however recommend LarryDFW's charger. Its a dual 18650 charger that charges each cell to 4.2V every time and has two indicator lights that DO turn green when the cell is charged. Its also only $10 and ships within CONUS so there is a few days wait instead of a few months.

Hmm, good to know. My WF-188 is a PITA with the battery jiggling debacle. Maybe I'll have to pick one of Larry's up...

I still need something to charge my 32650's though....

Last edited:

Helios

Hmm, good to know. My WF-188 is a PITA with the battery jiggling debacle. Maybe I'll have to pick one of Larry's up...

I still need something to charge my 32650's though....

If your talking Li-ion you could take two pieces of wire and 4 small magnets to make contact at the correct points to charge them using Larrys charger. If your talking LiFePO4 then you need a different charger...or to keep jiggling.

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet (is that the expression?) and maybe ask jayrob. IIRC he made a charger with soldered on wires and magnetic leads so basically any battery can be charged.

From everything I've read, Larry's chargers are great, only reason I haven't ordered one is that they are only great for 18650s:(

It's the WF-188's that I have.. and also why Aryntha mentioned the 'tested and reinforced' heh.

On the 188's I carry, I test and verify they charge to between 4.19 and 4.21v, and I also rebuild the crappy rail system in them with FP's silicon wire to eliminate the bad connections you mention.. And yes. I've caught a couple of 'low chargers' out of the dozen I have..

It's also why mine are at a bit of a premium at $25+shipping.. But then again I also guarantee them to charge to the correct voltage, and actually know they have batteries in them. :D And i'll replace them if they don't. The only problem with them I can't fix is the sticky sliders. I give them a good greasing when I have them apart but eh. On my initial test charger that i've put a LOT of cycles on now, it didn't take long for the sliders to start sticking again.. Only so much that can be done with plastic on plastic. Though most of the problem seems to be that they can twist a little when pressure is put on them and they tend to lock in place until tapped.

IMG_0219.JPG

Last edited:
I agree, never go with the bottom dollar chargers, before I make my suggestion on a charger has anyone ever monitored one of these in-expensive chargers while trying to charge a known dead or abused battery, I know I know, it's not a smart thing to do but it would be something to look at in case someone has a cell die on them and they don't notice it, then try charging it, may save a house or a face.

AS for My suggestion for a charger, yes its expensive but what do you expect with a charger that does....NiCd, NiMH, Pb, Li-ion,Lipo,LIFe, A123, and a few others and can do a pretty sizable capacity/voltage all at once.
Hyperion HK Ltd.

BTW I have the Duo 2, got it when I started back on RC trucks and cars and needed a lipo charger.

Last edited:
Just another *expensive* suggestion, for what it's worth. You can find "do-it-all recharge-them-all" chargers / batteries etc. here:
Maha / Powerex Corporate Site : NiMh Batteries and Chargers from Powerex, Digital Cameras from Maha, Powerex 2200 Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers, AA, nimh, lithium ion, 2000 mah, 2200mah, charger, battery

I've purchased *directly* from them for amateur radio and robotics applications. (USA sales office is in California)

You probably DON'T need this though, just something cheap/RELIABLE for specific batteries, UNLESS you want some programmable recharge-them-all re-configurable Li-Ion charger.

Last edited:
Good info. Thanks guys.

JBTexas, you're right, that would be overkill for me.

I'll get a good 18650 charger and post my results.