Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultraviolet handheld laser - what is the status in 2024

Hi, I was searching for "ultraviolet", "UV", "365nm" and the newest post I've found was from 2020, also not quite about something I'm looking for.

Are there any handheld lasers available (as of 2024) that emit pure UV, and rather far away from 400nm (so theyare totally invisible) ideally around from 250nm to 340nm?
By handheld I mean:
- laser pointers?
- small modules (up to 1 kg) that can be powered by batteries or power banks (can even be 220V power - I have a such - car battery starter)?

Having some useful power, 0.1-0.2 watt at minimum?

Last edited:

farbe2

Diodes with 375 and 390nm are available for "cheap" (>500€ for a full module).
They are only sm so only a few 100mW.

Other solid state lasers can do that but much more expensive (often >5000€).

100 mW will be fine, 375nm a bit loo long, wanted to do some UV stuff with UV-Nikkor lens and a monochrome converted camera.
Can you specify a quick "keywords" to search for those few 100s mW 375nm diodes? There are no ready devices which I can just buy, right?

I'm currently building a 375nm pointer for a customer. It took me months to get the diode but it finally arrived last week.

You'd have to build it or buy from a member who will build it for you. Only aware of 3 options you'd fit in a handheld below 400nm, and they're all just the bare diode without any heatsinking or driver board.

395nm - GH0393AA2G
380nm - Gh0382aa2g
375nm - HL37013MG

Right, seems like it's probably too early - I want below 340nm - ideally around 300nm

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Right, seems like it's probably too early - I want below 340nm - ideally around 300nm
You will need 3HG/4HG DPSS’s to get UV wavelengths that low. And they are not cheap to obtain. The most commonly available UV DPSS sources are 355nm and 266nm. It should go without saying that the UV-B laser source you desire would be extremely dangerous. UV-C is worse but a collimated coherent source of UV-B photons is not to be taken lightly.

These are the wavelengths available through CNI for UV. Good luck with the price tag however

IMG_0527.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all that support, I see this is too expensive and complex right now, as I said I'll recheck in the future.
266nm woudl bit slightly too low - not sure if my detector will detect this correctly, 355 would almost be ideal.

atomd

I mean for photography why do you need laser? noncoherent sources of much hier powers are avaiable easily

kecked

Exactly. Use a led. They do exist but not high power. A nitrogen laser will give 337nm but it is pulsed the pulse however is kw bright

atomd

Exactly. Use a led. They do exist but not high power. A nitrogen laser will give 337nm but it is pulsed the pulse however is kw bright
You can do one better and buy "cyan" mercury lights from china that are almost pure UV lamps with high power <100$

tehfrr

I mean for photography why do you need laser? noncoherent sources of much hier powers are avaiable easily
I picked up the 380nm laser for photography as well. I have a full spectrum converted Nikon D850, and I use it with a Baader U Venus filter for UV photos. UV photos are harder than visible or infrared photos.

The problem is unless you buy specialty lenses approaching $10,000 what is in focus for visible light is not in focus for UV (or infrared). UV already has less than ideal transmission through common lenses, so unless its broad daylight its very hard to properly focus it.

With the laser Ill be able to find something to put the beam on and focus for infinity. Even my brightest UV flashlight isn't even close to being powerful enough.