Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

two questions about red lasers

Lets do some math... For a 5mW laser the max "safe" exposure time is .25 seconds. Now, lets scale the up to 200mW's.

5x40=200mW's

.25/40=.00625 seconds... You can't close your eyes that fast.

I'm not 100% sure if the mW/to eye exposure is linear but my point is:
If you get hit with one of these and its focused to infinity, your eyes are absolutely screwed. (IMO)

--Hydro15

Ash

Absolutely. Goggles are a must if you get a burning laser.
Even a 50mW bluray can blind you in less than a millisecond.

If the laser is >5mW, no matter what color the laser is, it will definitely do eye damage if safety goggles are not used. $29 is a bargain if it saves your eyesight, and, if used properly, those Dragon Lasers goggles will absolutely save you from going blind from laserbeams or beam reflections.
There is also a different color goggle needed for different wavelengths of laser light. And, it's not just the beam... even looking at the dot on a wall of a high-powered laser can do eye damage.

IMO: a 14-year old thinks he is responsible, but truly doesn't have the wisdom to be careful enough. A 200mW laser is not a toy.

Attachments

• P1011079.JPG
    P1011079.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 211
$29 is a bargain if it saves your eyesight, and, if used properly, those Dragon Lasers goggles will absolutely save you from going blind from laserbeams or beam reflections.
Which glasses offer more protection from the light of a "dilda" laser? These or these?
I understand that the O-Like glasses protect against a wider range of wavelengths, but I don't know if one of those models dims the light of a red laser beam more than the other.

Ash

Well. The Dilda should be around 650nm (+/-5). And, both those goggles say they provide protection for the wavelength (color) of the dilda.

Now, I own the Dragon Lasers ones and they have an OD (Optical Density) of >4.
The o-like ones aren't very clear about it, they say they have an OD+5, +6?
:undecided:
The Optical Density number is the base-10 logarithm of the attenuation factor by which the optical filter reduces beam power. So, a greater OD will reduce the amount of laser light coming through.
With my 200mW and the green glasses from Dragon, I can not see the beam, but I can see the dot of where I am burning, and reflected beams aren't painfull.
I don't have experience with the blue from o-like. But I did buy 2 pairs of the exact same style (one red one green) from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/DavidWhite-57-GLASSES-G-Laser-Glasses-Green for $10 each and they look exactly like the O-like ones.
I am not sure if the blue ones from o-like are even good quality, or really do have the OD ratings that they are claiming, because the ones I got from amazon for $10 were terrible

Also, if you look at the color wheel...
color_wheel.gif

Green is the complimentary color (opposite) to red, so, it should provide the best protection against Red.
I would go for the Green ones. Shit, you could even go for the $10 green ones on Amazon, but they suck, and probably don't provide the level of protection that the Dragon Lasers ones do, and why try to save a few dollars if it is your ability to see that is at stake? Saving $20 is really not worth losing your eyesight for. :tinfoil:

omg... i can't help but to say this, but this thread is just full of fail.

if someone can't afford to buy the necessary safety equipment for the items they plan to purchase... than WTF? :scowl:

lasers >5mW are certainly not toys..
and irresponsible usage is what probably resulted in the strict laws that a lot of us have to deal with... from trying to import them and getting confiscated by customs, FDA crap.. etc..

there are reasons why there are things that are restricted to buyers over the age of 18.. granted, it's just a number and no definite indication that someone at least that age is completely responsible..

i've seen plenty of people well under the age of 18 act more mature, however, from a legal standpoint.. there's not much you can do.

now, it's a little clear that the OP is intending to take the necessary precautions and getting googles which is good...

but for future reference to others and to noobs out there that stumble upon this thread.. as mentioned.. eyesight.. is a priceless thing. there's no excuse not to spend money protecting it.

i've spent countless hours reading threads in this forum to learn about this hobby. i suggest that everyone else to do the same. you can never stop learning.