Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

two questions about red lasers

nadav

Okay guys, I'm new in this forum so I hope I'm doing everything fine :D

Okay, here are my questions:

1: I want to buy the 200mW red laser from o-like, I'm 14.5 years old but my father don't allow me to (I want to buy it from my own money)
He is saying it is dangerous ("it can make someone blind"), I know that but I'm a very cautious boy! But he just don't letting me to, my question is:
Does it dangerous enough to blind some one? If it point to the eye for less than one sec is it dangerous enough?

2: In case he won't let me to buy the laser, he might let me buy a 100mW one, how much does a red one cost? And where can I buy it? My price range is 0$~30$ (Anywhere except DX and DP)

Many thanks, Nadav =]

Last edited:

Yes, those lasers are easily powerful enough to damage your eyes in well under 1 sec. You can get goggles to protect your eyes from accidents, though, which makes the laser far less dangerous while wearing them..

nadav

i see

i have a stupid quesion, does a sunglasses will bring me enough protection?

I would suggest that you listen to your Father...

Yes.. a 200mW Laser is dangerous in the hand of someone that knows
nothing about the dangers of lasers and their safety precautions...

Yes... you can blind yourself and others with that 200mW Laser...

I would suggest that you start by reading a lot of info/threads here on LPF
about lasers an safety...

I would suggest that you purchase a pair of proper Safety Goggles for the
wavelength of the Laser you would be using...

Since your Father is legally responsible for your actions................

I would listen to your Father..... until you can show him that you are
a responsible young adult....IMO

Jerry

i see

i have a stupid quesion, does a sunglasses will bring me enough protection?

First.... welcome to the Forum.....:yh:

Quick answer.... NO
You will need to do a lot of reading on the Forum....
Your questions have been asked many times before...
and the answers are here...

Contrary to what some members may say... using the [Search] button
will allow you to access the tons of Laser Related information on the
Forum.

Jerry

nadav

is there any safety goggles for 200mW red laser that cost less than 10$?

You will need to do a bit of research on your own... Certified Laser Safety
Googles are usually quite a bit more than $10.00...

Jerry

nadav

yeah i know, this is my biggest problam, i am not going to pay 40$ for safety goggles :|

The proper way to acquire a laser, or lasers, is to purchase the safety goggles first. They should be in your possession before the laser arrives. If your friends wish to sit nearby and observe the burning, they will need goggles too.

The bottom line is if you are not willing to invest $40.00 in eye safety, this is not the hobby for you. Stick to a 5mW keychain red. Even if you don't take an accidental bad reflection from the 200mW, you can get a bad headache just from the brightness.

nadav

i know, thats why i want to buy about 2 or 3 googles, and thats why i cant pay so much for each one (120$ for googels?!?!)

m4a1

listen nadav,

i would suggest you to buy for your laser this glasses

Laser Glasses - Red laser beam protection 600-700nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

those are the cheapest i could find for you

personally i wait for my o-like lasers, i don't have any protection for them but if i will feel a need so i will buy them, because now i have dx 200mw green laser and it doesn't blind you if it touches for a second, i don't know, maybe its bad for the long rang...

think about it $120 now for goggles or thousands later trying to learn how to live your life without being able to see!
And to let you know sun glasses will make it worse because they will dilate your pupils meaning if you do get hit with a laser more light will go through them and will cause greater damage.
goggles on the other hand are rated specific wavelengths (red being 655-665 nm) and will actually prevent that light from going through. so its very important you use the required goggles for the right lasers.
--plus goggles rated for red lasers wont help you for say blu-ray lasers so make sure you read alot if you plan on buying powerfull lasers. i wouldnt risk my vision over a few bucks!

Eyesight is a priceless thing. Current bionic eye research is around 256 pixels resolution, I believe ... This is just a very costly hobby to get going in, and beware, it can be addictive. Soon you'll want green (more goggles), then you'll want violet and IR (more goggles again) Two years ago I had only a 5mW red pen. Now I have over 50 lasers, powers up to 100W. It's just very hard on the wallet. :)

nadav

okay okay i probally going to buy the googles somewhere

can you answer me other question please?

personally i wait for my o-like lasers, i don't have any protection for them but if i will feel a need so i will buy them, because now i have dx 200mw green laser and it doesn't blind you if it touches for a second, i don't know, maybe its bad for the long rang...

Hey m4a1...

Have you read anything about Laser Safety on this Forum... or
anywhere for that matter...

Are you trying to convince me that a 200mW 532nm green Laser
beam shone directly into my Eye for 1 Second (that's 1000 milliseconds)
will not blind me... or cause any damage..?????

That is not the Laser Safety recommendations to give a new LPF
member that does not have any knowledge of Laser Safety...:tsk:

Bottom line is.... you DO NOT shine a Laser Beam into your
(or anyone else's) naked unprotected eyes....

Jerry

Last edited:
I had my ~300mW red on without any eye protection, and after I saw the power with sunglasses(those were the best I could get on short notice), but I'm tellin you what NOT to do. It's bad enough if I do it, and I'm a hardy guy. In this aspect, DO NOT follow my example!

Other aspects are fine... :p