Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

two diodes in one housing...READ!

I have ordered from aixiz inernational the 200mw red 650nm laser diode in the past and they work great,but I was wondering the shape of these diodes are such...with the sides flat and only two sides rounded you can put two diodes side by side into a standard aixiz housing using a "dremel" tool to make the back of the housing oval shaped to fit both the diodes in a single housing. With proper heat sinking and only using this for shory burst of "on" times aroung 10-20 seconds and letting the diodes cool down could the two diodes actually be collimated by the single glass lens as both the diodes emmit their photons together side by side an pass through the lens maybe in a slightly wider beam but with twice the energy in mw? And if this worked for one housing and you used a combining cube with another housing set up the same would the two collimated beams combine in that fashion since it is only two collimated beams but in reality it is 4 diodes 2+2. If you know the answer let me know. This would achieve a 1 watt pulsed laser and around 800mw+ c.w. for short burn times!

I'm not sure the diodes would survive the dremel, because of the heat generated. Maybe if you really went slow like grinding for a second and stopping for 30 seconds like a duty cycle. But the other possibility is that some electrostatic voltage could discharge while grinding and blow the diode. For the price of 2 LPC sleds at about 10 bucks each, you could be the one to create the first one. I don't know how long it would live if you were succesfull, but who knows stranger things have happened..........like white lasers. :D Edit: it would probably need some collimating and alignment to get both dots integrated.

Last edited:
The grinding would be done before ever installing the diodes and they would be paralell to the lens with the actual emmitters centered on the lens so that it will collimate.

Things

Won't work, you'd end up with 2 dos side by side if you did manage to fit them both in an aixiz module.

The only way to combine multiple of the sme wavelength diodes is via the "knife edge mirror" method, which invovles setting up mirrors so the beam just passes the next mirror etc etc, but even that gives a largeish beam. A better way is with a PBS cube, but you can only use 1 cube TOTAL, and your lasers need to have the correct polarization or you'd loose power.

diachi

Won't work, you'd end up with 2 dos side by side if you did manage to fit them both in an aixiz module.

The only way to combine multiple of the sme wavelength diodes is via the "knife edge mirror" method, which invovles setting up mirrors so the beam just passes the next mirror etc etc, but even that gives a largeish beam. A better way is with a PBS cube, but you can only use 1 cube TOTAL, and your lasers need to have the correct polarization or you'd loose power.

The only way isn't to use the knife edge mirror method then is it ? If you can use that and a PBS. And the knife edge mirror doesn't combine them, it just makes them parallel to each other. The knife edge mirror method is usually used to combine 4 or more diodes, making both sets of two parallel to each other, and then combining the two pairs with a PBS. Of course, you can combine 60 diodes with that method if you want ( and that's been done before ).

Regards,

Adam

Things

That's true, but my point really is you can only use 1 PBS cube, and the knife edge method is the best way to go about combining many lasers. If you have a telescopic lense you can actually get some pretty good beam spex with it.

diachi

That's true, but my point really is you can only use 1 PBS cube, and the knife edge method is the best way to go about combining many lasers. If you have a telescopic lense you can actually get some pretty good beam spex with it.

Yeah you can get some awesome beam specs, Phil from PL gets something silly like 4mm at 1.5mRad.

I've attached a picture of his current 6W setup ( while still in the building stage ) as well as a picture of his older 3.5-4W setup ( with 4*4mm beam and 1.5mRad divergence ).

Attachments

• LargeRed.jpg
    LargeRed.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 575
  • P9293255.JPG
    P9293255.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
A spatial filter would make that thing absolutely badass in terms of beam quality.. (the working one, I mean) Should be possible to get something close to TEM00. He's already got most of the proper optics for it. Putting sub-wavelength pinhole at the focal point between those two lenses would do the trick, but such filters can be expensive.

thats what i love about this forum fresh minds trying new things

go for it if it works someone will try 3-4-6 who knows AAA+++

diachi

A spatial filter would make that thing absolutely badass in terms of beam quality.. (the working one, I mean) Should be possible to get something close to TEM00. He's already got most of the proper optics for it. Putting sub-wavelength pinhole at the focal point between those two lenses would do the trick, but such filters can be expensive.

the 6W works now and is built into his 15W RGB projector. I don't think he has the 4W version anymore though. He did some great work with it though, the beam specs beat that of any other 6W red diode laser that can be found on the market.

Just goes to show what you can do with a bit of ambition.

I'd be interested to see the driver setup he's using with that.. I'll have to go do a search on PL.