Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

tweaking a 400mW green laser

Best of luck, I hope this works out well in the end. It's always so tragic to see rich, rude and ignorant people ripped off after not listening to warnings.

Lenses will always waste some of the power, none of them can ever have 100% transmission. If you're bringing the unfocused laser close enough to the thermopile that the entire "silver dollar" is touching the sensor you should be seeing a higher rating than you'd see after unbroken lenses.

lowell said:
Without the lens, it is totally unfocused, the beam is the size of a silver dollar from six inches. I don't think it should be higher than a focused beam would be. Thanks anyway fake crab. There's likely damage to the diode anyway. They want the whole laser back. Based on the pictures I sent them, there's probably more damage than just the lens. So, we start all over. I send it back, and wait, then they send a new one, and I wait some more..... Never ending...

Like pseudolobster posted... you could take the head of your laser close (to within 1/4") to the LaserBee I
sensor (without touching it) and take another reading... The closer you get to the sensor the more
of the beam will fall on it.... (don't let the laser touch the sensor)

Well... at least you don't need to wait for the LaserBee I to arrive again...
That defective laser is depressing... I feel for you... :cool:

Jerry

lowell

There are some classless people in here. Lobster, first, I didn't ignore any warnings. Secondly, it's interesting how you use "rich" as a degrading term. That provides some insight into your maturity level. Finally, I was never rude to you, or anyone else in here. If you remember correctly, I was the one immediately attacked from my first post.

Anyhow, to the rest of you, the entire laser is on it's way back to China. They will either fix, or replace it. Of course I'll test the new one first thing.

P.S.
I just don't understand the animosity from people like Lobster and one or two others. All I ever wanted out of this forum was an exchange of ideas. I never insulted anyone, just asked an honest question, and some of you have been behaving disgustingly ever since. Some of you need to go back to MySpace.

Well, sorry.

It's just that something about your attitude doesn't sit well with me. I'm sorry to be so offensive.
You seem like someone who's eager to learn, but unwilling to listen. You're obviously new to lasers and don't know a lot about them, yet you act arrogant and refuse the advice of those who may know better than you. You suggest that our comments are based out of jealousy and you cannot take a casual joke in stride. I've tried to be as helpful as possible, but you dismiss my suggestions based on how they are worded. I think you're getting off on the wrong foot here on the forum, and you could probably use a little more humility and a better sense of humor.

lowell

Please provide an example of my unwillingness to listen, and some specific examples of where I've deserved to be insulted, and I promise, I will re-evaluate my behavior, and make any necessary adjustments. Up to this point, my current impresssion is that I asked a question about modifying a laser, and it opened up the floodgates, and negative, mean spirited comments have flowed rather steadily since.

I have never refused, or ignored any advice, nor shown any contempt for advice given. My contempt has come from the insults that had nothing to do with lasers. Some of you were insulted that I was willing to experiment on something that cost so much money, but honestly, that is none of your business. If you don't like that, then don't give any advice, but it isn't acceptable to insult someone based on those grounds, and that is where my problem lies with some of the people in here.

Again, that is how I currently feel. Show me some specific examples to the contrary, and I am more than willing to re-evaluate my position. In the mean time, how about an exchange of ideas, WITHOUT throwing in personal opinions of the person asking!?!? Why does anyone here care if someone is rich or poor, wasteful or conservative, clean or dirty, or even smart or dumb. As long as they interact in a friendly manner, and trade information with others.

Kenom

It is incredibly easy to retort in anger. It's incredibly hard to hold your tongue and remain civil. I've seen a 100% improvement in EVERYONES attitudes up until just a few posts ago. Not pointing any fingers as it really doesn't matter. We can ALL be mature and respectful.

Not that it makes any difference but we pretty much ALL advised against getting a laser from boblaser.com. You completely ignored those warnings and got one anyway. I honestly hope you get a good laser. Maybe you can tell them your doing a review on LPF and they might send you a good unit in hopes of trying to impress everyone here and getting better sales from us (not gonna happen)

regardless of who is responsible for what, we (I can only speak for myself) will continue to be watching this with interest to see what transpires.

With the money you spent wasted on boblasers.com, you could've bought a nice RPL-425 from Optotronics, which are always overspec.
But hey, if you want to pay big money to boblasers to send you underpowered units, then go for it ;)

P.S.
I hope they actually send you a good laser this time.

Hey lowel...
like you said... except for 1 or maybe 2... ::) :p

But I thought everyone else was trying to be helpful after I welcomed "lowel"
to the forum on the first Page of the Thread...... :cool:

I think there may be some miss interpretation of some things said in the later
posts... (that's just me... I may be wrong)...  :-/

I use smilies a lot (maybe too much) but they easily convey what I'm thinking
and feeling... It is difficult to misunderstand that a certain phrase is meant
to be joke or funny with these... ;D ;D ;D ;D
And if the same phrase was written in anger... these.. :mad: :mad: :mad: ...would
easily convey my meaning....

Just a thought....  :)

Jerry

lowell

I just don't understand why people think it's ok to be insulting because they disagree with where I purchased my laser. I appreciated the warnings, that's useful. But the insulting behavior that follows makes no sense. I never insulted anyone. I have every right to buy from whoever I want, regardless of your warnings or reccomendations. No one has a right to mistreat someone over that. How about if I insult you about the car you drive. If you ask me how to fix your Ford, is the correct response to call you an idiot for buying a Ford in the first place? I don't think so, but it seems some of you would.

lowell

I think I'll change my name to 'I'm A Rich Arrogant Prick Because I Dared Consider Modifying A Laser That Is Too Expensive For Many People To Afford, Then Was Such A Cunt That I Bought A Laser From A Company That Other Forum Members Didn't Approve Of"

Sounds like a good name for such an outlandish asshole as myself.

Kenom

Hahaha oh goodness that's funny. Well I for one couldn't care less where you buy your laser. We are all free to do as we please. I don't see any reason to be rude toward you or anything. I've always tried to moderate everyone's responses.

lowell said:
I think I'll change my name to 'I'm A Rich Arrogant Prick Because I Dared Consider Modifying A Laser That Is Too Expensive For Many People To Afford, Then Was Such A Cunt That I Bought A Laser From A Company That Other Forum Members Didn't Approve Of"

Sounds like a good name for such an outlandish asshole as myself.
If that's what you wanna do, go for it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

lowell

I feel better now. Can we start over now? Maybe talk about lasers? Or, I have some opinions on religion and politics you all might find interesting :eek:

lowell said:
I feel better now. Can we start over now? Maybe talk about lasers? Or, I have some opinions on religion and politics you all might find interesting :eek:
Why don't you ask them for a refund and buy an RPL?

lowell said:
I think I'll change my name to 'I'm A Rich Arrogant Prick Because I Dared Consider Modifying A Laser That Is Too Expensive For Many People To Afford, Then Was Such A Cunt That I Bought A Laser From A Company That Other Forum Members Didn't Approve Of"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like a good name for such an outlandish asshole as myself. ::) ::) ::)

ROFL.... ;D
Now that's funny.... I added the smilies for you.... ROFL... ;)

Nahh... let's stick to lasers.... :cool:

I agree with Kenom.... I haven't really seen anything that you said that should insult any
of the members concerning this thread... ;)

Jerry