Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Traveling to Canada with my Lasers

JLSE

TheGr8Revealing said:
no one has flown into the US with lasers before??? i dont think i'll have a problem getting into canada... you could get anything into that country.

200th post by the way.

LOL, Is that a fact? I wouldnt bet on that one...

Bionic-Badger said:
Remember that checked luggage can contain virtually anything within reason--knives, guns, lasers, whatever--so long as they are properly packed and not dangerous (live ammo, chemicals, etc. are not allowed).  The goons in the airport will not know FDA regulations or whatever, and the more "consumer product" something looks, the better.

Actually, live ammo is allowed in checked baggage. It can't be in the same case as a firearm, and has to be in its own sealed container within the luggage (plastic box inside a suitcase it fine). Airlines do have the option of having more restrictive rules, so some airlines may say no. Also, the last time I flew with my guns, you couldn't put more than I think 11lbs of ammunition in a single bag, which made it useless for me to carry any ammo at all (going to large 3 and 4 day shotgun tournaments, I needed over 40 lbs of ammunition for those trips, so either ship it or buy it there).

Firearms are also easier to deal with than you might think, and I actually enjoy flying with them, as long as the check-in counter people know the laws. You just have to declare IMMEDIATELY that you are checking a firearm, the counter person looks to make sure it isn't loaded and has you sign a separate sheet that says it is unloaded. When you are done checking in, the counter check-in person carries the case over to the TSA agent, who immediately inspects it (swabs the inside and outside for plastic explosives), and then the TSA agent locks it and you inspect if to make sure it is indeed locked. The nice part is, even if there is a huge pile of bags waiting for TSA to inspect, your guncase and all your bags go to the front of the line, so you never have to worry about the bags missing the plane for security inspection and you're standing right there while they're inspected in case there are any questions.

When you run into idiots or people who don't know their own rules is the problem.

As far as the lasers, I'd say shipping them to yourself is much safer than flying with them. Checked baggage definitely if you do have to fly, not on you or in you carry-on. Remove all the batteries. As far as the legality and the risks, I don't know how the law would treat your re-entering the country with it, but it's up to you to find out what the law would be and to choose to either follow that law or break it and accept the inherent risks.

I live in Canada :), and I'm wondering if I could bring my DX 50 to another province (Ontario), on an airplane. Next year I'm going camping. Would they notice anything on the xray? Should I pack it in my luggage, my carry-on bag, or in my pocket?

I might try packing it with some metal pens/markers.

thanks for all the great advice guys. I think i might just pack one. Just the greenie... i took the sticker off of it and im going to put it in a little pouch with pens and stuff and without batteries.

Also, i have a WL Dragon case, you think that would make it look out of place among pens and pencils?

artix

TheGr8Revealing said:
thanks for all the great advice guys. I think i might just pack one. Just the greenie... i took the sticker off of it and im going to put it in a little pouch with pens and stuff and without batteries.

Also, i have a WL Dragon case, you think that would make it look out of place among pens and pencils?

Ya great Idea :) Then when (if) they ask it is a pen case for your favourite pen :D

Maven

lol as long as they don't try and write with it ...

TERRORIST TERRORIST TERRORIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ixfd64

I've brought my 35 mW laser on an airplane several times and I've never run into any problems. But then again, those were all domestic flights, and I haven't tried bringing my laser on an international flight yet.

If you're concerned about having your laser taken away, you should consider using an airport that allows people to send dangerous items home. Some airports, such as Oakland International Airport, allow passengers to send home dangerous items that would otherwise be confiscated.

This question has been asked many, many times, but the problem is that high-powered portable lasers are still uncommon these days, so the TSA isn't really clear on whether they can be brought on flights.

rathat

Don't keep batteries in it. Buy them when you get there or put them in something else like a 2-way radio.
If your worried about it, just put it in your suitcase, you can have anything that's not flammable or explosive in checked luggage, you can weapons in your luggage if you like but tell them first.

LaZeRz

i brought in 2 greenies, take out the batteries and wrap em in clothes and if possible put em in a pencil case or something aswell

Good luck and have a nice trip!

i brought in 2 greenies, take out the batteries and wrap em in clothes and if possible put em in a pencil case or something aswell

Good luck and have a nice trip!

I'm getting very sick of you bumping threads...

Please check the last post date before posting :tired: