Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Totally New Here... Safety Question Please!

Hey guys, i'm totally new here. I'm planning on buying a 532nm, 200mW green pointer laser.

Now reading up i've come to the conclusion that having safety goggles is a MUST (correct me if i'm wrong!).

1) Is this absolutely necessary? Can i not use my laser without the glasses? Because it just seems as though with the glasses on then it won't be as fun.

2) If so, can someone explain to me what i need? I've read about 'IR' as well. So does that mean that i need a pair of safety goggles with IR filtering? Argh i'm so confused.

3) So can i show my family and friends my laser? Or do they ALL have to be wearing safety glasses?

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could answer all 3 of my questions. Cheers.

Last edited:

ARG

Answer to 2)

IR leakage usually isn't a problem, as it is usually low power. It also has a different focal length than the 532nm light, so it wont be as focused so the power density is very low. It's only with higher power DPSS lasers that you need to worry about that. You should be fine with a 200mW laser if you have goggles that only block 532nm.

If you still feel you want goggles that protect 532nm and any IR leakage buy these:
ML7 - KTP, YAG, Red/IR Diode [NR-ML7-00FDA] - $154.00

You can also add an IR filter on the aperture of a DPSS laser if you want to remove the IR leakage.

There are two typical environments for handheld laser usage. Indoor (i.e. dot is significantly brighter than beam) and sky-viewing (i.e. beam is significantly brighter than dot). In the first case, goggles are HIGHLY recommended. In the second case, viewing the beam outdoors with no planes in the area, goggles are not required as long as no reflective objects are present.

Preferably, for your choice of goggles, 808nm, 1064nm, and 532nm protection should be present. However, 532nm is the most important protection.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes and no. 200mw is easily capable of doing serious if not permanent eye damage in literally the blink of an eye.

I have and do at times use all my lasers ranging from a 1mw HeNe to a 1.7W 445nm without glasses. The key to doing it safely is to have the laser in a place where it can't roll, fall, or otherwise move. You also need to make sure there are no surfaces that the beam can reflect off - that includes walls with gloss or semi-gloss paint. However anytime I am in front of the laser's aperture (that is over 5mw) I have the appropriate glasses on. It doesn't matter how well I secured the laser before taking pictures of the beam it just takes a split second of not paying attention to take a hit. That all said I highly encourage you to get appropriate glasses and use them until you are familiar and comfortable operating the laser in a safe manner.

2. The glasses ARGlaser linked to are great. They offer excellent coverage for high powered greens and any associated leakage. As a bonus they'll offer protection for most reds up to about 100-150mw. I wouldn't use them for a 660nm red though. Another option is the ARG filter which covers not only green but blue and violet wavelengths as well. They do not block IR though.

OEM Laser's glasses are not cheap but they are made from quality filters and frames and most importantly certified to block their stated wavelength. I personally own pairs of AL3 for my 405nm (blu-ray), 445nm, and 532 lasers, and ML2 for my reds and eventual 808nm IR laser. Don't buy cheap glasses if you're looking at getting into lasers as a hobby. You only get two eyes. Read the thread in the safety forum about what happened when xoul got hit with a 1W laser.

3. Ideally yes but then they can't see what you want to show them; the beam. Make sure there's nothing that can reflect a beam back at any one not wearing glasses and have them stand behind where ever the laser is. They can be off to the side but if they're behind it they can't accidentally walk into or look directly at the beam.

Finally don't be one of those douche bags who point green, or any other color for that matter, lasers at people, animals or especially aircraft. You'd be shocked just how much even a 20mw green can brighten up a large room let alone a small dark cockpit. You really don't want to be held responsible for paying someone's medical bills or even getting arrested for doing something stupid.

Hope that answers your questions and welcome to LPF! :beer:

Thank you all for the replies. So just to clarify:

I should wear glasses at all times when handling the laser.

People do not have to be wearing glasses when i'm showing them the laser, as long as i know that the beam does not reflect back off of anything into their eyes.

But which glasses do you guys recommend? I know ARGlaser recommended a pair but they are far too expensive for my budget. I was looking at some glasses on lazerer and they have some pairs at around $20 which i was going to buy?

Wear goggles all the time when handling the laser when you are not sure that it is stationary and that no reflective objects can pass through the beam path (the only time this doesn't apply is when sky-viewing, really).

For the laser you are talking about, check out SurvivalLaser.com. They have a few nice pairs of goggles for between $30-$50 that are reliable. They are called the Eagle Pair.

For astronomy (star pointer) use, you and friends/family should not need goggles. Ensure that no aircraft are anywhere nearby and only turn the laser on when it is aimed at the sky, and turn it off before lowering it.

You need goggles for indoor use, such as burning/cutting. These operations are done close to you, and there is always a risk of sudden unplanned reflection of the beam. If a friend wants to sit beside you and watch the burning, that friend needs goggles. If you are aiming the beam down a long hallway to take a photo, and the beam will terminate on a non-reflective surface, you can probably skip the goggles if you stay behind the laser. The risks come from unplanned reflections because the laser moved, some optics shifted, the object being burned became shiny and reflective, avoid them by using the goggles. For any laser over 5mW, you should have goggles. There are a few threads around here about people who have had bad luck while not wearing the goggles. At least you care about safety and want to get off to a good start. Welcome to the forum.

DJNY

Thank you all for the replies. So just to clarify:

I should wear glasses at all times when handling the laser.

People do not have to be wearing glasses when i'm showing them the laser, as long as i know that the beam does not reflect back off of anything into their eyes.

But which glasses do you guys recommend? I know ARGlaser recommended a pair but they are far too expensive for my budget. I was looking at some glasses on lazerer and they have some pairs at around $20 which i was going to buy?

That´s a NO GO

Cause when you´re wearing the laser goggles, you won´t see the beam/dot outside (if they´re good ones). You would not see at what you point at.

There are every cheap goggles around, I use these most of the time for doing beamshots indoor. The beam is slightly visible (of high powered lasers), but gets reduced to a muchmuch less dangerous power level. For burning, I´m using very good oemlasersystem goggles. But the laser2go goggles are also working well.

Outdoors I don´t use goggles, unless I´m doing near-beam pictures.