Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TOTAL noob here...trying to get into this.

Hey, I'm Spirit. I'm here looking for a bit of guidance with an upcoming project I've been wanting to embark on for quite some time. I want to build a decent little 1w 445nm blue laser or perhaps a burning green laser and put it into a neat housing such as a toy laser gun, Nintendo Zapper or Lightsaber handle...something to that effect. I know I'm probably going to be told not to try it, but I've got a couple competent buddies that are going to each do some research and we've all got a little bit of electronics experience between us, so....we're gonna try it anyway. If any of the pros here can point me toward a CHEAP source of parts and give me some pointers and help I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanx in advance for your input, guys.

Ash

Yes safety glasses are a must when building lasers. 1W lasers are no toy. :yabbem:
You will be just as amazed at the sight of a 50mW green laser as a 1W blue (possibly more so). :bday:
I recommend starting small... there is no reason to invest a lot of money.

You can put a burning green laser into a nofriendo gun for less than $37.98 (including 1 pair of safety glasses and battery holder) if you know where to shop. :cool:
Seriously. Eye injury from lasers is no joke.
Read these::undecided:
Link
Yesterday
Link
Link

THanks for the replies, fellas. Yeah I read about the unfortunate incident yesterday...I am DEFINITELY aware of the need for safety lenses when operating these things....
You may be right, a 500mw green diode may be the way to go, but one thing I want out of this is the ability to burn stuff (paper, light campfires, etc.).

So basically what I'm gonna need help with is finding the diodes, the aixiz modules, pre-assembled drivers and the appropriate lithium ion batteries. Plus, maybe a thorough "tek" or walkthrough on assembling all of it. I have access to available needed materials (magnifying glass/parts holder, tools and soldering iron/solder/flux if needed). Does anyone here think this can be done for under say 40 bux?

I just watched the video for AnselmoFanZero's latest build...that guy blows my mind. The folding laser pistol is awesome. Just...wow

Fiddy

THanks for the replies, fellas. Yeah I read about the unfortunate incident yesterday...I am DEFINITELY aware of the need for safety lenses when operating these things....
You may be right, a 500mw green diode may be the way to go, but one thing I want out of this is the ability to burn stuff (paper, light campfires, etc.).

So basically what I'm gonna need help with is finding the diodes, the aixiz modules, pre-assembled drivers and the appropriate lithium ion batteries. Plus, maybe a thorough "tek" or walkthrough on assembling all of it. I have access to available needed materials (magnifying glass/parts holder, tools and soldering iron/solder/flux if needed). Does anyone here think this can be done for under say 40 bux?

1. There is no such thing as a 500mW green diode, greens come in modules and readily available ones are limited to 200mW (handheld).
  2. I gave you the links to the diodes,module,driver and host. Your battery selection will impend on the host you choose whether it be 10440, 14500,16340,18650 (common lithium sizes)
  3. A 1W 445 diode at its cheapest is $45 fro DTR so no, no it cant be done for <$40.

Fiddy.

Last edited:
welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

33 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

I would also add that Laser Safety Googles/Glasses are
a MUST in this hobby.

I would suggest that you start with a lower powered
Laser until you get your feet wet and then move up
to the project that you want to work on..

It will be CHEAPER and SAFER.....

You can brows the By/Sell/Trade sections of the Forum
to see what is available...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Last edited: