Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Torturing a 20mW 635nm diode

I have 10 heh, and I might be ending up with most of aryntha's stash of them too. So I see another large MXDL host order in my future.. Shame you can just order specific colors.. I have enough black ones :p I need reds though heh.

On another topic, any word from aixiz? You ran me out of modules remember. Kind of limits what I can do at the moment, though i'll likely order more from them myself when I sell another host or two, but right now my PP account is sitting on zero heh.

Last edited:

DTR

I have 10 heh, and I might be ending up with most of aryntha's stash of them too. So I see another large MXDL host order in my future.. Shame you can just order specific colors.. I have enough black ones :p I need reds though heh.

On another topic, any word from aixiz? You ran me out of modules remember. Kind of limits what I can do at the moment, though i'll likely order more from them myself when I sell another host or two, but right now my PP account is sitting on zero heh.

Chuck was out of town but he had one of his guys overnight me some today and they will be out to you in the morning.:D

jakeGT

Funny, most of my MXDL pens were the red ones

I plan to do the same as DTR and order the 4 packs from kaidomain from now on.. At least then I know i'm getting one of each color.

What is that rear-clicky host that you have a few of in those photos?

Thanks for the testing, by the way. Someday.... someday.....

I'm just pointing out it doesn't make sense to report results to 0.01nm when it isn't capable of measuring that precisely.

It's like mister bluefan touting his 10nanowatt-precision power meter in a lit room or saying your laser is 1.2592837429385239487239462835 mRad according to a divergence calculator

:D
Actually the difference between a lit room and a dark room is only a few microwatts.

What kind of spectrometer do you have? I wish I have one, spectrometers are quite expensive.
A coarse and fine pot could also be a solution. A digital power supply where you can just put the numbers in works too :)

That psu cost me $15 at a hamfest though. Which was more than worth it after I verified it actually worked and the voltage and current readings were accurate. A multiturn pot is an idea but i'm not sure that's doable without drastic modifications to the face of the PSU.

The only real complaint I have with it is that I wish the current readout had one more digit.

And thoses hosts are either 1xAAA MXDL's, 2xAAA MXDL's or trustfire EF23's.. There's some of each there.

You could make a range switch for the panel meter, or get a 4.5 digit panel meter, but that would be a lot of work. If you don't miss that digit often you could hook up a good multimeter when you need the precision.

True. Or I could just buy a better powersupply if it became that much of a problem heh.

Those are too long to work in this application. I don't think it'd be possible to drill the board out to accommodate it.

Woo. Popped another 685 tonight.. this time, for SCIENCE!.. Which means I got real data out of it.

Recommended maximum current for the 685's is 65mA. They WILL led between 70 and 75mA. (Verified by both myself and Aryntha)

With a good lens, they'll do about 45mW at 65mA.

I'll start a new thread with all the 685 information tomorrow night when I press another diode in and do the spectrometer tests.. now that I know what current not to exceed.