Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tornado Laser Power Meter From The Laser Pointer Store

Encap

I really don't understand what is to be gained by getting one of these cheap LPMs. One can take it apart and see what it does or doesn't have in it. But, to what end? To me it is just a cheap meter not worth the $$$ or effort to find out.

Exactly.
I don't understand why anyone would waste time on investigating either.

It is the same as the "pocket" LPM minus the battery and charger.
Is just another toy quality entertainment low end/low quality POS product from a money grubbing little international outlaw reseller hiding in China to avoid getting nabbed for his illegal laser smuggling, warehousing, and sales activities in several Countries who would be selling ping pong balls if he was not doing otherwise. LOL

All those LPMs actually demonstrate is that the Chinese mentality/attitude stereotype that " Money is God and God is Money" is sometimes very true.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Benm

I really don't understand what is to be gained by getting one of these cheap LPMs. One can take it apart and see what it does or doesn't have in it. But, to what end? To me it is just a cheap meter not worth the $$$ or effort to find out.

But if it was actually a very good meter, build cheaply but smartly? What if it even was accurate, for only $55.

If it was actually good it'd be a fantastic deal and everyone should buy one. I seriously doubt it is due to the odd measurements obtained at lower power levels, but those are just single measurements, not tests over numerous units.

As Jerry, Bob and I tried to explain the ADC and display part of this unit would not be very expensive to construct using fairly jelly bean components. You can basically get a $1 or $2 uC that has adequate ADC's and can drive the display etc, basically the chip that does everything. Maybe not quite the anonymous-8-pin-chip if you want to drive the display, but there are plenty of sub $2 processors that have a few more inputs/outputs and enough sram, program memory and eeprom storage built in to do it all.

The question is, to me, mostly what the sensor is and how that works. $55 is still a shitload of money for all parts but the sensor, if it were just a volt meter in that form factor it would probably cost under $5 shipped ;)

Encap

The question is, to me, mostly what the sensor is and how that works. $55 is still a shitload of money for all parts but the sensor, if it were just a volt meter in that form factor it would probably cost under $5 shipped ;)
Benm: This from Laserbees look see at the first "pocket " units. No reason to think is is any different today other than perhaps a slightly different black coating

"Sensor

Looking closely at the sensor I found it to be a TEC
that measures 10mm X 6mm X 1.5mm with ~50 P/N
junctions outputting ~159mV/W.
The 100% response time was ~21 seconds.

The actual Sensor Plate is a thin copper sheet that
is larger than the Tec and measures ~12.6mm X 11.6mm.
That plate is Paint Brush coated with some type of
black semi-shiny paint.

If a Laser is shone on the Plate over the TEC the readings
will be fine since the TEC will bleed off the heat produced.
If a Laser is shone on the Plate not over the TEC the
heat will build up quickly and reduce the Max power of
the sensor.

It seems that the copper plate is attached to the TEC
by the same white silicone that is liberally used inside the
enclosure. The TEC is mounted to the copper heatsink
again with white silicone.
The finned copper heatsink measures 26.9mm X 16.2mm
X 11.2mm and is also attached to the alluminium enclosure
by again... white silicone.
I can't see this small Heatsink capable of dissipating 15W
even if the Coating could handle it."
See Jerry's review here: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/review-of-the-new-15w-lpm-from-lps.101715/
and Lasersbee's schematic of the pocket unit at end of OP

I know this seems pointless, but sometimes it's just fun to explore things to see how the operate. I also love to look inside things to see how they tick. It really doesn’t matter if it’s the greatest meter ever (not likely) OR total junk (likely), it’s just fun to explore and see how accurate it is or isn’t.

Then you should pick up a professional meter on eBay and delve into that thing. You will learn much more from that than you will from this heap of junk.

Benm

It's the sensor that's likely the problem indeed, and if it's the same as the one from the previous model there would be little point in doing a teardown. If the coating is different, or perhaps even the whole thermal design from the absorbing surface through the TEC and then onto the case was overhauled, performance could be better.

The laserbee and hyperion meters are also TEC based, though built pretty well and having a good solution for translating the measurement to a realistic power level, which is a big step up from just a potentiometer and mV meter connected after that.

I guess in some cases the difference is just in the software, like between the laserbee A10 and A10 RTA: those are identical where it comes to hardware afaik, but the RTA model does some calculations to predict what the steady state would be before actually reaching it.

If absolute accuracy is important to you it also helps that these units are calibrated with the calibration data stored in the uC eeprom instead of by some pot that could be moved due shock, vibration etc during shipping.

Sorry to necrobump this old fellow, but seems there is a lot of speculation, some more details as this looks to be the main thread of this Tornado unit..

Been having these units now for multiple years, so about time, I put in my view..
It was what I needed hence my limited need & purse.. aka very cheap LPM for measuring my portfolio of NUBMs..05.06.07.08..
Lazing pictures
I purchased from this Laser Pointer Store 3 times.( all purchases are a couple of years back)
and my experience is 10/10 very very positive and all the items I purchased from Laser Pointer Store' I simply could not find cheaper anywhere else... Taobao, Aliexpress, or eBay. (doesn't mean that their prices in general' are the lowest, certainly not on some other items i saw there, and like everything here in life you need to perform your own due diligence)
I purchased
2x 360 glass mirrors, intended for lasers with a thick glass front. (8USD each)
1X Cyan Stubby 488nm (50USD) with a surprisingly decent 18350 included. (70mW)
2x LPMs (35USD each) (one with a battery and one without)
and the above prices became a tad lower after the use of coupons and cashback.
the packaging was great, for the 360 mirrors, the parcel-labeling gave no problems in danish custom, where prices often get elevated with another +35 to 50% after custom handling fee and another +25% VAT if the label is above 10euro, and they all were with free shipping.(perfect)

I thought the two LPMs were identical, and one just housed a battery and the other did not, but doesn't look to be the case judging by the responsiveness, where the smaller unit acts faster.
// Its actually wrong..just tried with the two youtube LPM tests below and with the video in 0.25 speed 1/4s.. and 20 updates took 20second on the small Tornado and 16seconds on the Pocket laser power meter, and with x4 for seconds, equal the Tornado updates 4 times per second and the Pocket Laser Power meter, update the display 5 times per second.
So the Pocket LPM has a faster display refresh rate.

I get very consistent readings with both of them in the blueish spectrum, the smaller unit, is like 0.2% to 0.5% higher than the other, in the tests below, though that percentage will be way bigger, with lower wattage, on the stubby from LPS 488nm (from early 2018) I get 71mW on the Tornado and 69mW on the Pocket LPM, so that is way higher percentage and -2.8% difference, but the consistency is spot on amongst both units..
here is a run with a NUMB0.. it takes around 25s to 30s for a peak at around 6.300mW

battery
nonbattery

Here is a brief look down at the smaller unit... looks like the sensor head is resting on a big chunk of aluminum.
I also tried when I got them back in hmm 2018 as I recall, to check how the sensor dissipated the heat with a thermal video camera.. (do recall I got some footage of it, somewhere)... and it was very even.

If I get the time.. I would try to make a review, with multiple diodes..

I tried yesterday with a NUGM3 with the LPM (small unit) a tad over 1 meter away.. it peeked around 1W but it still had the ball lens on that created a very tight line-beamspot so I didn't wanna floor it, as it is a 35USD LPM and the threes don't grow into the sky at these prices, hense the used sensor coating it, so I try to take my precautions, but over the years really have been impressed by these two units And if i should mess it up and destroy them, (like if I fx tried to tap into them for fx some data logging feed).. and I fried them.. I would gladly purchase them again.

IN regards to an aspect of reference, one of my friends has an Ophir head and DMM, and we used that numerous year back to adjust the driver pods of some of my builds to stated values, and in regards to those values, these two is surprisingly accurate... though it is 1W blue and some blue and green laser pointer that is down around 100 to 200mW. .. so not sure how well they perform in the higher ballparks in those wavelengths but in the blue.. they seems very good as long as you have the price in mind and a fully self-contained unit.

https://i.imgur.com/FRWH1bd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6Df7hxL.jpg

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Is this considered spam or what? Posting it twice in a row as well as necro posting? Or is it okay?

Is this considered spam or what? Posting it twice in a row as well as necro posting? Or is it okay?
C'mon..It's the two main LPMs threads for those exact units (you do get that) one refers to the Tornado and the other is the Pocket. and the text refers to both units and compares their differences & results and highlights certain questions and confusions in both threads.

- no reason to separate the text. and only include what refers to one LPM and vice versa.. just to tone down your wanna be mod-attitude... not least when these LPMs are so equal and it is relevant to compare these two and possible differences.
and your crap about necroposting.. I personally prefer people to rewake main threads, if it refers to the product, instead of thousands of different threads often more or less about the same topic & product..
some of the best threads I have read in LPF have been very old threads about certain topics, that were reawaken by necropost, particularly if it's the same topic or product..

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
C'mon..It's the two main LPMs threads for those exact units (you do get that) one refers to the Tornado and the other is the Pocket. and the text refers to both units and compares their differences & results and highlights certain questions and confusions in both threads.

- no reason to separate the text. and only include what refers to one LPM and vice versa.. just to tone down your wanna be mod-attitude... not least when these LPMs are so equal and it is relevant to compare these two and possible differences.
and your crap about necroposting.. I personally prefer people to rewake main threads, if it refers to the product, instead of thousands of different threads often more or less about the same topic & product..
some of the best threads I have read in LPF have been very old threads about certain topics, that were reawaken by necropost, particularly if it's the same topic or product..
First off you need to chill. I didn't say anything wrong asking a few simple questions so don't come at me with insults and that bs.
I think we need to all collectively agree on what is acceptable and what isn't because I'm getting mixed signals.
I see people complain about double and triple posts, about posting multiple posts and threads quite a lot but some of them do it themselves.
So I think we should either all do one thing or do the other. No favoritism. I'm just trying to understand is all

Last edited:
nahh move on and please refer to topic.. all this other crap, with insults... no thx..
- and the only one who needs to chill.. are you....(check yourself) and this mod-attitude... you even mod licking in your sign. (wow)
if you have any insight into these LPMs or even had one... please share, would love to hear it...
let's refer to topic...
Either way Im getting quite consistent readings...0.04% 6225mW vs 6222
It is a very crude LPM (componentwise) but at these prices.. beggars can't be choosers and been overall very impressed.
also had an eye on the Sanwu or one of the Aliexpress units at sub 500 USD, but I reckon its the low cost that elevates my willingness to blast it with high wattage and the sensor still looks like new. (though not that says a lot)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
nahh move on and please refer to topic.. all this other crap, with insults... no thx..
- and the only one who needs to chill.. are you....(check yourself) and this mod-attitude... you even mod licking in your sign. (wow)
Nice attitude :rolleyes:

Vice versa,, hence your edit.
but let us move forward.. you're not a mod your a pretty new member here with a tad over ½ year, I'm not a mod and not that active, and I would not start to moderate other users on forum etiquette where certain things are frown upon, even though it varies from forum to forum.. not least "quoting", just under the exact comment you're referring too... or trying to criticize you, - on now +3 post that has no relevance to the topic and more or less plain fiddle..
new members or just members that try to moderate other users (on their own perception) of forum etiquette and who' or what is necroposting.. that behavior is usually more annoying than necroposting.

And I would personally prefer if users have feedback on a given lazing-related product, they either make a review, or they try to find the main thread for that exact product and put their view & feedback there, and no matter if it's an old thread..
- it will make it so much more easier for other users looking into that product if the majority of infromation and feedback is contained in one place, and I can't emphasize how many golden posts, filled with readworthy information' I have come across because people necrostarted old post from LPF golden-era.

If you have any insight into this LPM, I would love to hear about it, but let THAT take center..
Here the small unit..(though not sure it's made anymore (numerous years old), it definitely seems to differ from the battery unit, the refresh rate of the digit seems faster., though like 27s to peak at 6309mW)

here the 50US LPS stubby 488nm (70mW) with some 360 mirrors.