Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tornado Laser Power Meter From The Laser Pointer Store

This must be something new that just popped up on their web pages:

Tornado Laser Power Meter $55

LPS is working hard to let our laser fans to have an accurated, reliable, and affordable laser power meter.
The Pocket laser power meter is popular but we still have space to improve.
Tornado is the latest accurated and affordable LPM, remove the built-in battery we make the device smaller and lighter, but still keep the accuracy.

Size: 7.4 x 2.6 x 2.6 cm
Weight: 59g
Power range: 1 mw - 9999 mW
Sensor Area: Φ12mm
Spectral Range: 400nm~1024nm
Response Time:
90%: 5-15 seconds
100%: 25 seconds
Tolerance: ±3%
Lithium polymer battery is NOT included, direct powered by a USB cable.

This looks interesting, but does bring back past thoughts of the Pocket Laser Power Meter:

Review of the Pocket Laser Power Meter

Pocket Laser Power Meter for $79

I don't expect much given the price, but maybe they have learned from the last meter and it might be worthwhile.

Has anyone else looked at this and what do you think?

EDIT UPDATE: While digging around for any other information I came upon this link below. Compare the $55 price to the $125 price.

http://wildlaser.com/product/factory-direct-sale-small-tornado-laser-power-meter

Last edited:

I'm convinced it's the same crappy circuit as the unit in
the review of the Pocket LPM just housed differently.
I'd stay away from that website altogether just by
the way the owner of the site responded in the original
review.
He's more interested in taking your $$$ than satisfying
his customers....IMO

Jerry

Yeah, I've not heard much good about LPS since joining really - A bit of a shame they've got banner space right there at the top of the forum given that reputation...

Encap

I'm convinced it's the same crappy circuit as the unit in
the review of the Pocket LPM just housed differently.
I'd stay away from that website altogether just by
the way the owner of the site responded in the original
review.
He's more interested in taking your $$$ than satisfying
his customers....IMO

Jerry

Exactly.

"latest accurated and affordable LPM "

Undoubtedly the same child's toy entertainment level device in a different box tageting people who don't know any better--the chase for $$$s is all LPS is about.
What do you expect from a vendor who claims "The lasers will be shipped out from New Jersey, Ontario, Sydney or China. It depends on your location and our inventory. " when all of his laser products are illegal to import into and illegal to sell as items of commerce from within USA, Australia, and Canada. LOL

Last edited:

diachi

Did LPS used to have a good rep here?

Sending out free review units to a number of people (myself included) probably helped improve it.

Perhaps I should reach out and see if they'll offer an LPM for review...

Sending out free review units to a number of people (myself included) probably helped improve it.
Perhaps I should reach out and see if they'll offer an LPM for review...
Fair enough - Might as well ask - even if the unit's not much good. Thinking of ordering one of Astralist's if he is still selling them soon.

GSS

Tommy joined the forum with saying he didn't know much about lasers but he wanted to offer us good service compared to other Chinese sights. Mostly the Thor's at first with claims of only offering the improved version with the glass lens.
Don't know if the greed was always there or he found a market of people willing to pay for crap like the pocket meter's and the greed just took over??
Now some of his units like the Thors, gattling laser's prices aren't bad and those are just about the only products i'll vouch for him.

In no way would I suggest that the Tornado would even come close to the quality and accuracy of the Laserbee units. It's just impossible for a $55 unit to match units costing in the hundreds of dollars. I should point out that from the 2017 units to the 2018 units of the Pocket Laser Meter, several things were fixed. The links to the two different reviews are found below:

2017 Review

2018 Review

Looking at all the data from both tests, it suggests that the accuracy is very poor for anything below 100mw and the best accuracy comes from lasers at 500mw and higher. My best guess and the key word here is guess, is that the Tornado might be good for a ballpark figure, but if you want better accuracy pay extra and get a Laserbee unit.

Still it would be interesting to see how good or how bad it is. Maybe someone might get a unit to review.....

Reactions: GSS
I was the other member who received a free Thor H 2 to review here. I still have that laser and it sells for $89.00 now, IIRC. I can't tell you anything about their LPMs, but the laser I received was pretty well put together and still functions well to this day. If you are interested in an LPM, I would look for them with people or companies that know what they are doing when it comes to design and production of these items.

GSS

In no way would I suggest that the Tornado would even come close to the quality and accuracy of the Laserbee units. It's just impossible for a $55 unit to match units costing in the hundreds of dollars. I should point out that from the 2017 units to the 2018 units of the Pocket Laser Meter, several things were fixed. The links to the two different reviews are found below:

2017 Review

2018 Review

Looking at all the data from both tests, it suggests that the accuracy is very poor for anything below 100mw and the best accuracy comes from lasers at 500mw and higher. My best guess and the key word here is guess, is that the Tornado might be good for a ballpark figure, but if you want better accuracy pay extra and get a Laserbee unit.

Still it would be interesting to see how good or how bad it is. Maybe someone might get a unit to review.....
Even though I haven't much of a clue about the making's of a good meter, I offered Tommy "LPS" 1/2 price of his $75 pocket meter to do a novice review of using it a very safe and protective way and putting it through a pace of using it only 5 times a day over the course of 2 weeks with lasers ranging from 60mW, 200mW, 1W, 2W and a 5W+ with substantial cool down times and he refused. I even offered to return it when done.
What does that say??;):unsure: I'm thinking not to much confidence in his product.

Last edited:
Naw, they look good enough and they are cheap so he's selling plenty of them and doesn't need to take any less than his full price, there's a lot of people who know very little but love the low price, he even has the smaller USB powered unit without the onboard battery for 20 bucks less, that's what your average ebay buyer want's - CHEAP

Encap

Naw, they look good enough and they are cheap so he's selling plenty of them and doesn't need to take any less than his full price, there's a lot of people who know very little but love the low price, he even has the smaller USB powered unit without the onboard battery for 20 bucks less, that's what your average ebay buyer want's - CHEAP

Exactly --is all about foisting low cost/toy quality entertainment products on people who don't know any better for $$$s.
"Golly gee, my laser made the display numbers change" does not cut it in the real world of laser power measurement and LPMs, unfortunately

Last edited:
Looking at the limited data for the pocket power meter, it appears that below 60mw, the accuracy is REALLY bad. At 60mw, it's like +/- 15%. At around 500mw, it's maybe +/-10%. However, I'm looking at limited data and it might be even worse. The bottom line is I'm getting a Laserbee Unit because at least I can trust the reading. However, at the end of the school year (Spring) we have left over money to spend on crazy things. The logic is spend it or lose it. So I may put the Tornado on my wild and crazy wish list. It will be fun to do more detailed tests.

For those who want to see the numbers, here's what I found:

Readings.png

I wouldn't immediately blame the power level as you have measured wavelengths from 405nm all the way up to 808nm. This could also be part of the problem with this meter. What was used as the meter that was used as the standard? How well does it measure these powers at these different wavelengths and what is its tolerance? There are too many variables here to blame it all on one thing. It might be better to use a single wavelength at different power levels first, then look at other wavelengths next.

Surprisingly for that price, it does not even equal the price of a sensor ,

I don't know why they produce at such a cheap price