Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tools for SMD soldering?

Hey guys! I am getting into building my own drivers and so I am trying to get into SMD soldering. I think I thoroughly know the process, but I need haz tools!

Specifically very nice tweezers.

Someone was selling suture kits a while ago here.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
-Matt

IsaacT

Talk to other members who build drivers. RHD does I believe. So does Lazeerer. See if they know where you could acquire tools.

plastic tipped.

Or, don't use tweezers, because (and I am admittedly no more skilled than a slightly-smarter-than-average chimpanzee) whenever I use tweezers, the tweez-ee usually ends up lost in the carpet several feet away.

Flux is very helpful, esp. the cheap tree sap flux from radio hut. Often washes off with alcohol. Stick a dab where the component should be, and use a toothpick with a dab on the end to pick up component and place it before soldering.

Avoid Coffee.

Things

Yeah I suck at using tweezers too. The best tools I have for SMD - fingernails :D

oahu99

For smd work a pair of tweezers, Flux, and a steady hand are all you need.
At least for me lol...

agree!

some solder, flux and a steady hand is all you need. For small pins some good desoldering braid is recommended.

You'll also find plenty of videos on YT.

Zeebit

I've tried SMD soldering (down to 0402!) and tweezers are a must for me. Tacky flux also helps. Fine desoldering wick will also come in handy.

IWIRE

That's cool you are wanting to build your own drivers. Good luck with your project ! It would be nice to have the ability to custom match each driver to each diode.
I saw some pics somewhere, I'm pretty sure it was Lazeerer had posted them of using a toaster oven. Must work he makes some great drivers.
Good luck !

djQUAN

If you have enough experience, you can hand solder 0402 parts without using tweezers. ;) I like working with SMD since you don't have to drill a ton of holes on your PCB, cut a lot of leads after soldering and your circuit ends up much smaller. But it's a pain to prototype since you can't do point to point.

ARG

I can do 0603's without tweezers, but 0402's without tweezers? If you exhale too fast those things go flying.

djQUAN

I have seen 0201 parts but never tried soldering those. Smallest we use at work is only 0402.

ARG

I've used 0201's once, that was a mistake.

If your board can't accommodate 0402's at the least, it's time to rethink the design.

Hell, even 0402's rarely reflow properly, even in a temperature curve controlled reflower.

djQUAN

I still use 1206 parts mainly because it's easier on the eyes and isn't too difficult to DIY etch boards and I don't have a reflow oven. I occasionally use 0805 and 0603 but never done 0402 on DIY haha. In a production environment though, 0402 is easy. Only place I've seen 0201 is on sub modules that we use like bluetooth sub boards and the likes but never on the main boards.