Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Too Funny for Words ( Laserex LLP-100 )

Proof of the old adage : "A fool and his money are soon parted."
People with more money than brains deserve to be paying for their choice to be ignorant.
I just wish that those of us with intelligence weren't always the ones without the money.
(How intelligent does that make us then ?!)
:thinking:
:D
:p

daguin

Well, it is certainly NOT the "first."

I have older HeNe pointers that must be plugged into the wall

This one operates on two 9V batteries

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

honeyx

Re: Too Funny for Words

it really is a handheld hene. and dave really does have one. all components fit inside the units body.

michael..

And it still works? Many tubes have to be treaten with helium because of the leackage over the years. I would buy one just to have it and to remember when I build my first He-Ne Laser about 20 years ago. But never for this price.

daguin

Re: Too Funny for Words

And it still works? Many tubes have to be treaten with helium because of the leackage over the years. I would buy one just to have it and to remember when I build my first He-Ne Laser about 20 years ago. But never for this price.

The more "modern" HeNe's have "hard-sealed" mirrors.

They have a pretty good shelf life

I have working HeNe's that were made in the late 70's

Peace,
dave

honeyx

Mine also had hard-sealed mirrors. I build it at about 1990 after my first contact with a He-Ne Laser in a physics lesson. A few years later I sold it when the first laserdiode based laserpointers where aviable to buy one, so never observed a degradation but was reading about it at Sams Faq. Just later I noticed I made a mistake in selling it and buying the pointer.

Wow, so since it's a gas laser, that means it can cut metal, right?

But seriously, pretty damn sweet for running offa 18V

Opcom

Proof of the old adage : "A fool and his money are soon parted."
People with more money than brains deserve to be paying for their choice to be ignorant.
I just wish that those of us with intelligence weren't always the ones without the money.
(How intelligent does that make us then ?!)
:thinking:
:D
:p

The answer to the riddle is "management". I worked with a technician once that pretty much consistently failed to do good work. There was also a quota system in place due to government contracts and for that reason they didn't want to get rid of the particular individual, but they didn't want him working in the shop either, so he was promoted to supervisor and of course given a very large increase. (I was cc'd on an e-mail I should not been, that is how I know this)

From then, his supreme ignorance plagued the workshop as a whole and was very annoying because he also lorded his eminence over his former co-workers, but since he was no longer doing bad tech work, the average increased, making him look responsible for the 10% improvement, which upper management fell in love with! see "peter principle" for answers on how people get promoted to positions far beyond their level of competence instead of demoted to simpler work they could actually do well.

Not a complaint, but an observation.

Ablaze

That is a classical example of stupidity through bad metrics, Opcom. I sincerely hope that the use of advanced data metrics in the workplace will eliminate that kind of blunder in the future. Of course the idiot managers that are already in place will probably consider the new data marts to be far too confusing... so we might have to wait until those managers die of old age before we see any real improvement.

The answer to the riddle is "management". I worked with a technician once that pretty much consistently failed to do good work. There was also a quota system in place due to government contracts and for that reason they didn't want to get rid of the particular individual, but they didn't want him working in the shop either, so he was promoted to supervisor and of course given a very large increase. (I was cc'd on an e-mail I should not been, that is how I know this)

From then, his supreme ignorance plagued the workshop as a whole and was very annoying because he also lorded his eminence over his former co-workers, but since he was no longer doing bad tech work, the average increased, making him look responsible for the 10% improvement, which upper management fell in love with! see "peter principle" for answers on how people get promoted to positions far beyond their level of competence instead of demoted to simpler work they could actually do well.

Not a complaint, but an observation.

Yup. Happens a bit with "diversity" workers in government too. Because of the risk of a discrimination lawsuit it becomes incredibly difficult to fire someone without a huge body of proof and efforts to "work" with the person. "Incompetence" usually isn't enough, nor just wanting a better worker. Also, with many edicts from above trying to match employee demographics to regional demographics, keeping more diverse workers helps to fill that quota that would otherwise back-log other hiring.

Often it just becomes easier to promote the fool to some benign job, or at the very least get the person out of your department. It's not so bad in the private sector where "at will" discharges for reasons such as "personal issues" may be sufficient.

Opcom

There were two sides to it. The 'good ol boy network' which avoided involving HR, and the 'protected classes' which used HR as much as possible. To be fair, it is necessary to mention the g.o.b. network as equally responsible and generally creating as much misery and buffoonery as the other group. The contention among subsets of employees in the workplace is called "equal opportunity". EO also means there is an equal opportunity to FAIL.

The worst thing in that workplace, far worse than a technical supervisor who didn't understand technology, was the yearly mandatory role playing sensitivity/diversity training class. It was held in sessions of small groups of randomly arranged people so in any session, the other people in your mandatory session were those you didn't work with or see every day. Therefore all were tortured equally and no one could escape the embarrassing roleplay indignities by sticking together with friends from the same department.

Looking back on it, it was a circus, that is, there was entertainment of a sort. I don't regret working there and I used the job to develop my skills and those skills landed me an even better job later. Although I highlighted a particular individual, there were many other hands stirring the pot.