Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thoughts on modifying a laser tag system.

Hi All,

I hope someone might be able to shine some light on my mini project. Currently I have a laser tag system that is IR based, and I wanted to add a weak laser to unit just for some added value. It doesn't need to be accurate, I just need it for the cool factor. Anyways, what I need your advice on, is how to create a circuit that essentially will not allow for a user to put the laser in continuous use, but rather pulse at 100ms, when triggered.

Currently, what I had in mind is to literally piggyback off the physical trigger circuit in the laser tag gun, but what I am trying to prevent is if a user holds the trigger down it will keep the circuit open.

I am looking at possibly using a 555 timer or so I've been told that might be a good suggestion. I was also trying to find the safest laser diode possible, I don't need distance or accuracy but it does need to be safe.

I was considering these diodes:70pcs per Lot 650nm 6mm 3V 5mW Laser Dot Diode Module Red Copper Head New | eBay
(if the link doesn't work it is the cheapest ones you can get off ebay at a operational 3v)

Anyways look forward to any thoughts or ideas about the circuit that could be of help. Thanks again.

YESSS! This was a work in progress of mine awhile ago except I wanted it to be as bright as possible. The circuit I'm using needs some tuning & simplifying up before I'd have ever call it finished, but in the videos below it's firing around 800mW of 445 blue. The circuit is also built around a 555 timer for the monopulsing. Here's what it looked like when I was last working on it....

If you have any interest in enjoying seeing each shot you fire before it hits a target you're going to need more than 5mw of red, but if you're just looking to shoot a red dot then those diodes will barely do in a normally lit environment. Good luck man, laserguns are awesome!

:beer:

Last edited:
danefex,

That is quite amazing what you've done, kudos. The effect is great! Well let me clarify the system I am adding this into is called Ubisoft Battle Tag, they are no longer in production because Ubisoft killed the product very early on. I got my hands on about 16 sets, so that I can host some events with youth to play laser tag. However unlike the commercial systems these units use a IR blaster, so no laser light at all. At this point I am just trying to go for the safety and cheapest option. However I bet if I added your laser setup to the guns it would be the talk of the town. But I might have a long list of pending lawsuits for injuries (hah!). Anyways I'd love to see your circuit if you don't mind sharing.

Now for your working gun, if you hold down the trigger will the laser just pulse at a set interval (assuming this timing is assigned from the 555)?

Wha...? :D that helmet is Epic! Tron Daft Punkish. This is one of my favorite host/builds for sure Dan. The pulsed fire is an awesome plus. Sounds like what your looking for wooguay. Introduce yourself in the welcome thread when you have time :wave:

My participation in this thread has slipped away guys, please forgive me for fading into the darkness on this one until now:p

I sent wooguay my schematic on the circuit I used to create a monopulsing lasergun days ago, didn't want to leave him hanging since he posted this thread... While I'm not heavily versed in circuitry like what I've shared, I know the circuit in the schematic can be watered down to perform the simple task of monopulsing a millisecond pulse of light upon closing the circuit. Right now it seems there's a lot more going on than what needs to be, but again I'm not too sharp on what I'll call intermediate or advance circuitry here :)

I look forward to his follow up and opinion based on what he's doing and where he's at with the lasertag idea he's posted!

Wha...? :D that helmet is Epic! Tron Daft Punkish. This is one of my favorite host/builds for sure Dan. The pulsed fire is an awesome plus. Sounds like what your looking for wooguay. Introduce yourself in the welcome thread when you have time :wave:

Thanks LB. I'm a huge fan of the stylistic, futuristic world of tron. Not so much the story but definitely the style. I'd had given anything for a rinzler or quora helmet too, folks have DIY'd some impressive props from these ideas :D

QuorraHelmet-4.jpg

Last edited:
Daniel,

So I finally got the laser diode's from China. It took a little time but I was able trace a usable signal and voltage source that paired together. All it in all it was much simpler than I thought. Just need to see what it is going to do on my batter life. Thanks for the help. I know you fished out that circuit for me and I didn't even get to use it or give you any feedback. But just to tie up loose ends. Here is a short video of it in action. The laser tag system is a Ubisoft Battle Tag, it uses IR blasters, I wanted to add the diodes for the effect nothing more.

As you can see in the video the precision of the laser tag system is not pin point accurate, no need for it to be.

Battle tag laser addon - YouTube

HA that's awesome wooguay, you did a really good job!!! The blue afterglow is superb!! Congrats on successfully completing your project :D

Last edited:
Thanks danefex. Too bad we couldn't make a system with a real visible beam like your project. I imagine it would be too dangerous for people with little sense.

Just to clarify the diode was a red one, pretty much a basic 3v laser pointer diode. The blue is actually a mod I put into the vest. Originally it flashed red when hit but I swapped them out with blue LEDs so that teams can differentiate. Thanks for replying back and the encouragement. I hope you too can get around to simplifying and compacting your circuit so you can do more as well!