Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thor MII EBay Laser

Have I messed up? I've purchased the one from this listing and apparently some of the listings actually have glass lenses while others come with acrylic that melts. There is another Thor listing I saw that costs two more dollars and has "US" in it. I do not want to have to mess around with changing lenses.

Last edited:

Interesting name you chose for yourself.

98.1 ebay score......yea you probably bought a turkey, but you may get lucky, and still it can blind you, so wear laser safety glasses that attenuate the wavelength of that laser.

Blue lasers are very dangerous for our eyes, search chemical retina damage and know what you are doing, it may look weak but still can blind you.

You ordered a cheap laser with who knows what lens or heatsink, you often get what you pay for and you may get a used 1w diode with poor heatsinking and a crappy lens as every penny they can save they often will.

You would do much better to buy from SANWU

Last edited:

Tassie

I have the Thor 2 ,no problems with it,well built burns well, cant fault it .. bough another one for a friend,he loves it also.

You'll want the US seller Thor to get the glass lens.
If you don't overheat the other thor, you may not have a problem with the lens

Last edited:

Razako

If it's not too late, cancel the order and buy from the US guy selling them with glass lenses. I have the US seller version and it's a pretty decent laser for the price.

Last edited:
Have I messed up? I've purchased the one from this listing and apparently some of the listings actually have glass lenses while others come with acrylic that melts. There is another Thor listing I saw that costs two more dollars and has "US" in it. I do not want to have to mess around with changing lenses.

It's a China - low cost production - poor Quality, and defective after few hours of operation. (if he manages it because...)

Buy -Quality Laser- and use it only with goggle (OD4+ or better!), otherwise you can lose your eyesight completely or partly !

Think of your eyesight ( and that of others ! ) is priceless!

Have some fun white your Laser !

Reactions: Sta
I bought mine from that very same seller but it was listed as a Thor II (Thor 2). It was listed as being in Louisiana but the post mark was New Jersey if I remember correctly. The pictures of the power meter readings showed it around 2 watts. Mine measured 1.8 watts which I considered close enough.

In the listing you linked to the laser doesn't have the II marking and the power meter readings are around 1.3 watts. I guess he has some of the older Thors that he's getting rid of. At least he's honest in his listing. He doesn't claim a glass lens for this one like he did for the Thor II.

Ed

Attachments

• Thor_ECR_2173.jpg
    Thor_ECR_2173.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 361
It's too late to cancel the order. I guess I'll get it and if it holds up, it holds up.

I could always claim I never received it, or it was defective... (Which I suppose would be the truth if the lens melted)

Last edited:
Interesting name you chose for yourself.

98.1 ebay score......yea you probably bought a turkey, but you may get lucky, and still it can blind you, so wear laser safety glasses that attenuate the wavelength of that laser.

Blue lasers are very dangerous for our eyes, search chemical retina damage and know what you are doing, it may look weak but still can blind you.

You ordered a cheap laser with who knows what lens or heatsink, you often get what you pay for and you may get a used 1w diode with poor heatsinking and a crappy lens as every penny they can save they often will.

You would do much better to buy from SANWU

Actually, I just received it yesterday, and it appears to be the second model, the one without the resin lens. It's strong enough to engrave wood when passed over it. Had no problems so far, works great. Also, I would think a score of 98.1 is good... Is that not the case?

Last edited:
I bought mine from that very same seller but it was listed as a Thor II (Thor 2). It was listed as being in Louisiana but the post mark was New Jersey if I remember correctly. The pictures of the power meter readings showed it around 2 watts. Mine measured 1.8 watts which I considered close enough.

In the listing you linked to the laser doesn't have the II marking and the power meter readings are around 1.3 watts. I guess he has some of the older Thors that he's getting rid of. At least he's honest in his listing. He doesn't claim a glass lens for this one like he did for the Thor II.

Ed

I just received it the other day, and it had the marking "Thor MII" on it. So far it has worked great, and engraves wood when passed over. Do you think it's the glass lens if it is marked as the model that does?

diachi

I just received it the other day, and it had the marking "Thor MII" on it. So far it has worked great, and engraves wood when passed over. Do you think it's the glass lens if it is marked as the model that does?

Please avoid multiple posts in a row where possible - use the edit button to update the previous post instead. :yh:

diachi

They don't get a notification from that.

Anyone that's subscribed to this thread should get a notification when someone posts to it - not just when someone quotes you - so everyone that's subscribed would get a notification for each of your three posts, unless they've changed the notification settings to daily or some such.

Default as far as I know is that you automatically subscribe when you reply.

Best option is to use the multi-quote button to quote multiple people in one post. :beer:

Anyone that's subscribed to this thread should get a notification when someone posts to it - not just when someone quotes you - so everyone that's subscribed would get a notification for each of your three posts, unless they've changed the notification settings to daily or some such.

Default as far as I know is that you automatically subscribe when you reply.

Best option is to use the multi-quote button to quote multiple people in one post. :beer:

Oh, I'm new to the forums. Didn't see that multi-quote option either, ha.

Thanks for the info

Yes, that's my understanding. The Thor MII has the glass lens unlike the earlier Thor model which had an acrylic lens. It sounds like you lucked out. :beer:

Ed

Last edited: