Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thor M2

NopeNada

Hello this is my first post and i apologize if this information is easy to find but i cannot find it anywhere

I just bought the Thor M2.. im not sure if its the 1.6 watt or the 3 watt

But i was just wondering how i should power cycle it?

like can i leave it on for 1 minute then off for 1 minute?

Btw i understand the power and danger of this laser and will use it responsibly i just dont want to burn out the diode
Thanks

Snecho

I have one @1.6W

After about 45 seconds to a minute it gets pretty warm. I let it rest for a while after that, at least a 5 min break. The heatsink is brass and pretty tiny.

Did you buy it directly from laserpointerstore.com?

NopeNada

no i diddnt but i diddnt come across this forum and lps untill after i purchased it. i actually dont have it yet and im very excited to get it...

it should be here within a week hopefully i bought it from an ebay seller and i actually just figured out its rated >2w so it must be the 1.6 watt version... i also hope it has the glass lens as i just read that was an issue on older models...

but wow off for 5 mins? i diddnt realize it had to rest that long
thanks

it should be here within a week hopefully i bought it from an ebay seller and i actually just figured out its rated >2w so it must be the 1.6 watt version.
A neat trick if you don't have a power meter is to measure the current with a multimeter from the battery tube to the contact on the laser module (close the circuit with two alligator wires, and don't try to fumble around with this setup with your hands cuz it might blind you). In general, you can't power a 1 watt laser with less than 1 amp from the batteries (with these typical 2 battery drivers). 2 amps, and I'd suspect around ~1.6-1.8W of output. It's super not precise since there are many different drivers that generate so much waste heat, but if you have the 3 watt version, then you can bet a crisp $5 bill that the current draw from the batteries would be more than 3 amps. I used to refurbish these cheap $50 lasers, and I would turn the potentiometer to get the output as high as possible after applying thermal grease. They were advertised at 1 watt, and I turned the pot from about 1A-1.1A up to 1.25A, and got like 1100-1200mW

Last edited:

Snecho

A neat trick if you don't have a power meter is to measure the current with a multimeter from the battery tube to the contact on the laser module (close the circuit with two alligator wires, and don't try to fumble around with this setup with your hands cuz it might blind you). In general, you can't power a 1 watt laser with less than 1 amp from the batteries (with these typical 2 battery drivers). 2 amps, and I'd suspect around ~1.6-1.8W of output. It's super not precise since there are many different drivers that generate so much waste heat, but if you have the 3 watt version, then you can bet a crisp $5 bill that the current draw from the batteries would be more than 3 watts. I used to refurbish these cheap $50 lasers, and I would turn the potentiometer to get the output as high as possible after applying thermal grease. They were advertised at 1 watt, and I turned the pot from about 1A-1.1A up to 1.25A, and got like 1100-1200mW
That's is a neat trick, however with the Thor M2, you can't get access to the driver without destroying the laser.