Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

This is for the machinists members and others that may be interested.

Benm

Wow, that seems to be a lot of work to make a cube. Then again i don't get why you would start with a short piece of round stock to make a cube like that. If the stock had been longer the cube could have been much bigger (less material wasted).

Also it seems somewhat crazy to start with round stock if you want to make a cube, square bar would make it a lot easier and more efficient.

The video isn't working any longer. I was going to watch it, but since I can't, I have no opinion about it at this time.

Edit: Okay. Once I saw what he was working with I knew exactly how he was going to do this. I suppose if you have a lathe and need a one inch box this could be a workable way to do it, but I agree with Ben that using some square stock would make for less waste and you could make the block a larger size without much trouble at all.

Last edited:
Hi,
Ok yes it would be easier to just purchase a square piece of stock, But this video shows how an experienced machinist can use his lathe to machine a piece out of what is at hand for the moment. This was a great learning tool for me and was very educational. It might have been to look like a lot of extra movements to make a cube from round stock. But all in all that just shows how a good machinist can fabricate a piece from raw material. Thank you for sharing this with me very appreciate , you Get a gold star for today buddy..

Rich:)

GSS

^^^^^^^Exactly^^^^^^^
If no stock on hand and needed in a pinch you can't go wrong..
Stock on hand or not it was fun to watch and show's this man experience of chucking it true with every procedure:)
Many of shops have not had square or rectangle stock on hand and use a Bridgeport mill or equivelent so many make do no problem.

Last edited:
Yea, mostly just a challenge to show it can be done the hard way, a manual mill would work so much better.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi,
Ok yes it would be easier to just purchase a square piece of stock, But this video shows how an experienced machinist can use his lathe to machine a piece out of what is at hand for the moment. This was a great learning tool for me and was very educational. It might have been to look like a lot of extra movements to make a cube from round stock. But all in all that just shows how a good machinist can fabricate a piece from raw material. Thank you for sharing this with me very appreciate , you Get a gold star for today buddy..

/
Yea, mostly just a challenge to show it can be done the hard way, a manual mill would work so much better.

Exactly, it's not something you would normally do to make a square cube, but a good excersize in machining; not many people would think of a lathe when needing a square part. :)

I've seen this video come up on youtube many times, but never stopped to watch it. Today I sat and watched the whole thing even though I knew what he was going to do.

Steve, thanks for sharing this! (y)

Now, that was impressive, Gadget. I don't have an idea how you accomplished this, unlike the cube made on the lathe.

Hi G,
Awesome work came out great , what is it for? Looks like a piece of art . Put it on auction starting bid 300.00..

That's something you see done on a 5 axis mill .......................have you ever cut your lawn with scissors ?

How the heck would you do that on a lathe, why would you do that on a lathe ?

Are you shaking my monkey tree here ? DING DING DING Movie reference..............( Name the movie........hint = Bill Murray )

----edit----

Found an example of the cube in cube, I expected there would be some glue but wax will work too > Now let me see a pyramid with a dodecahedron inside holding 3 eggs that's inside a cube :D done on a lathe........I didn't think so

Try this on a lathe >

Last edited:
Hi, Great vids unbelievable what a machinist can do. The cube is like building a ship in a bottle but very more intricate .. Someone had some extra time on their hands.

It's amazing the precision that's achieveable, I often wonder about bearing play in the machine.

Here's 2 different ways of obtaining the 5th axis, one on the head and the other at the table.

Gadget

Nah, guys...I'm not shakin' anyone's monkey tree (Caddyshack?). I really did make that purely on the lathe.
As for why...well...ummm...because I have a lathe? And, cylinders get boring? Also, I do not, I repeat...I DO NOT use any kind of hot glue or wax, I consider that cheating. I break 5 sides of the cubes free, then on the last side I cut in until there's just a tiny bit of material holding everything together. From then on, no motor. I remove the last bit of material by turning the chuck by hand as the cubes fall free.

(In my best JFK voice) We do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are haaaaaaahd.

I lived in Massachusetts and they don't pronounce the "R" in many words. I remember when Kennedy was campaigning against Nixon in 1960 and everyone I knew except for my father was going to vote for him. My father always voted republican even when Roosevelt was president. I have always been more of an independent, though republicans rarely have a candidate I feel deserves my vote. The current one is a great example.