Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thermal paste around press fit aixiz?

Kyle L

Haas anyone used thermal paste to help heat conductivity? I was thinking it may help to out a fine layer around my aixiz module, and potentially improve cooling performance?

Opinions from all are welcome

:)

I used to make my own diamond power heat sink compound just for this reason, but have found over many builds that is makes little to no difference at all. As long as the module and inside diameter of your heat sink are smooth and the inside diameter of the heat sink is close to 12mm you should be fine.

Hi,
Yes I do on my builds. its just for add heat sinking t the main sink, its personal preference . As was said it depends if the 12mm module is fitted in to the main sink snug , You can or dont use it.
Rich:)

Attachments

• 0E523E34-7E06-48E3-AA09-9C667D04A456_1_105_c.jpeg
    0E523E34-7E06-48E3-AA09-9C667D04A456_1_105_c.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2

GSS

Kyle, if you do happen to use thermal paste, keep the plastic lens on to limit the chance of getting it inside the module and and on the threads and diode.

Kyle L

Thank you to all that responded. i will probably go with paste, just because haha, but another question, whats the safest way to press the diode into the host? light taps with a mallet maybe?

Thank you to all that responded. i will probably go with paste, just because haha, but another question, whats the safest way to press the diode into the host? light taps with a mallet maybe?

Never! We use pressing tools for the different sizes. I use channel locks to press mine. Others use a vise. No one uses a hammer.

GSS

Kyle, do you mean pressing the 12mm copper module into the host's heatsink?
If that's what your asking, it should just slide in with your fingers and then tighten the set screw. Once in a blue moon the 12 modules can vary by +or- .005 or .010 inches and the module can hang up a tiny bit as a example but just a light sand paper swipe should work fine.
Be ready to wipe off excess thermal paste if you are going to use it.

Think about the ratio of the metal in the little diode body contacting the press mount to the amount of the 12 mm diameter mount in contact with the hosts body, if there is ten times more 12 mm module metal contacting the hosts heat sink than the metal of the diode does in the press, I’d guess adding more heat sink compound might not make any real difference. That said, there are variables from host to host, so I hazard to say compound is always unnecessary. I have used it on some builds, without it on others.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Think about the ratio of the metal in the little diode body contacting the press mount to the amount of the 12 mm diameter mount in contact with the hosts body, if there is ten times more 12 mm module metal contacting the hosts heat sink than the metal of the diode does in the press, I’d guess adding more heat sink compound might not make any real difference. That said, there are variables from host to host, so I hazard to say compound is always unnecessary. I have used it on some builds, without it on others.
I think it's also a M140 at 1.8A?
So unless there is a huge gap between module and the host heatsink you can do without. It is your option and thermal paste will defintely not hurt:)

Sinner used to make hosts that you actually had to press the module into. That did make for the best contact, but made reusing the host a real pain. I have an MS-SSW-II with an NDB7875 pressed into it that once the diode fails I will have to get it out to reuse it. Not looking forward to that.

Reactions: GSS

Kyle L

Anyone tried to hear the host so it expands, to make the module drop in easier? I won't do this, I'm just wondering :)

Anyone tried to hear the host so it expands, to make the module drop in easier? I won't do this, I'm just wondering :)

That is just unnecessary. None of these hosts have openings so tight you would ever need to do that. I'm unaware of any pressed to fit the module type hosts that I posted about being offered by anyone now.