Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The smallest boost drivers that I have ever seen! 5mm x 5.3mm

Giannis_TDM

So just out of curiosity and a little self-challenge I wanted to see how small of a driver I could make. Turns out that I can make a 200mA rated PWM-enabled boost driver at that size quite easily! Without further ado here are the boards!
unknown.png
unknown.png

PS and a nice little error from osh lol:
unknown.png

Don't worry, I know how to get around it. I'll be ordering 6 boards and assembling 2 as proof of concept.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Do you have any actual physical drivers made. I see design after design but no real product. I'd like to know if any of your designs actually work.

Giannis_TDM

Do you have any actual physical drivers made. I see design after design but no real product. I'd like to know if any of your designs actually work.
I think you have missed a thread of mine: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/new-drivers-by-me-testing-and-suggestions-thread.107689/ I don't think I can get oscilloscope readings in software. If that doesn't convince you, Here's a pic of my designs IRL
(they are all but the one in the middle, Brownish PCB is the 1A boost, Green is 3A buck and purple is the now canceled 3A boost.)
20201210_140145.jpg
Oh and here is a comparison for driver size for the driver I mentioned in this thread to a 5.6mm diode:
unknown.png

If you want more hard evidence: Here are some bare PCBs for the 1A boost:
image0.jpg

If you still have doubts here is a 455 module running with my 1A boost set to 180mA
IMG_20201129_130542.jpg

IMG_20201129_130610.jpg

Will these drivers have enough boost for the 488nm diodes? They have a higher forward voltage than the typical green diodes and so far only the X-Wossee boost drivers work with them.

Giannis_TDM

Will these drivers have enough boost for the 488nm diodes? They have a higher forward voltage than the typical green diodes and so far only the X-Wossee boost drivers work with them.
Yes, Look on the main thread, not the testing one, The 1A boost supports up to 36v out. Also to give you a rough idea, The 455 diode I am running there has a vF of around 5.5-6v. And I should mention that the 5.3mm x 5mm driver is lacking many features compared to the normal 1A boost like reverse pol prot and hence It won't be available for sale. The normal 1A boost is 7mm x 12.8mm.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I need some of these drivers badly

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Sounds good. I hope your stuff works because ever since lazeerer ran off we have had a huge driver deficiency

These tiny drivers look cool. If you produce some and want to let go of a few, I'd like to try a couple (even if they don't have reverse polarity protection)!
What's the input and output voltage range?

94Z28

I actually pulled out my "toaster oven reflow station" today and started making a batch of LED drivers. I too built some buck/boost drivers back in the day and had some guys on here testing for me with 450nm diodes. I would be interested to test if you need someone to. I have Oscilloscopes, lab power supplies, and other high-end testing gear at my disposal. I can flow them also if needed.

Giannis_TDM

I actually pulled out my "toaster oven reflow station" today and started making a batch of LED drivers. I too built some buck/boost drivers back in the day and had some guys on here testing for me with 450nm diodes. I would be interested to test if you need someone to. I have Oscilloscopes, lab power supplies, and other high-end testing gear at my disposal. I can flow them also if needed.
Thanks for the offer but I already have designed proper test jigs for em as discrete PCBs and I got a recently calibrated DS1054Z with most of the options.

94Z28

Thanks for the offer but I already have designed proper test jigs for em as discrete PCBs and I got a recently calibrated DS1054Z with most of the options.
Sounds good. Let me know when you are ready to sell then and I will still be testing some ;)

Giannis_TDM

Last edited:
Sure! I'll drop you a discount too. here's the testing thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/new-drivers-by-me-testing-and-suggestions-thread.107689/ Oh and I forgot to mention, The small boost one will not be made in mass, too small. It's gonna be more of a custom order thing.
Hello, Giannis
Your drivers look pretty cool. A couple questions, and sorry if this was already covered; are any of your drivers going to be trim pot adjustable? Also, have you established how your drivers will be priced? thanks in advance!!
SGD🥃

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

Hello, Giannis
Your drivers look pretty cool. A couple questions, and sorry if this was already covered; are any of your drivers doing to be trim pot adjustable? Also, have you established how your drivers will be priced? thanks in advance!!
SGD🥃
25$+ shipping for the bucks which will decrease to 20 once I have enough funds to get them automatically assembled, the 25$ includes basic testing (current set, and some oscilloscope waveforms), Upon request I can add a trim pot to the boosts(although I still recommend going for a fixed setting, Due to the composition of the pot It may introduce too much interference on the feedback loop), The bucks are still going to be fixed current. Will have some in stock ETA next week, For the boosts currently, the cost will be 20$ with a drop to 18$(subject to change) Same range of tests and extra tests available for 5$ Where I make a full test report.

Last edited: