Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

The science of laser eye injury?

burnedup69

I figured while I was here, I may as well ask if someone could explain the science of laser eye injury? The Googler only returns generic answers like "Yes, it can cause eye injury" but it doesn't go into the science of how?

Also, is the science exactly (or nearly exactly) the same for say , blue lasers vs red laser, vs, violet? Different wavelengths.

Also, the assumption will be "if a laser hits you *DIRECTLY* in the eye" - but my question is more geared toward the question I really want answered: Is the science of eye injury the same if you're just looking at the "Dot" of a blue, red, green laser on the wall...

I understand keeping the "Dot" on the same spot of the wall (or whatever) and just mindlessly staring at it from say, 3 ft away may be one thing..... (and dumb without eye protection) - but how does the same logic apply if the "Dot" is say, 10 ft away? And not perfectly still or if you're just casually glancing at the "Dot" while it moves around, but not necessarily following it's exact location for minutes (or seconds) on end?

Welders flash, but permanently. Our eyes can't physically close fast enough to stop the irreversible damage.
Unown, Ricker, where is that thread were the member got hit in the eye with a 1W laser and the aftermath.

You permanently damage your eye if the point hits you directly, it only takes a fraction of a second, being made of soft tissue, the eye is very delicate, I believe that before consulting science what it says in relation to this topic, it is always worth the attention that the person places, when he has a pointer in his hand, regardless of the power, always wear protective glasses, unless it is broad daylight and sunny, the beam is not visible, you only see the point of where the light is going to point, on the other hand, if you are at home and want to do some tests, there, glasses full, when it reflects on white especially, there is an exaggerated return of the beam.

But certainly you will have much more targeted responses from people or members who have been handling them for several years.

Unown, Ricker, where is that thread were the member got hit in the eye with a 1W laser and the aftermath.
I'd like to see that...it's making me feel uneasy even thinking about it.

Question is, how do you enjoy your laser when wearing glasses in which you can't see it yourself? I know the con of being blind is obviously the motivator, but then how do you enjoy beamshots, etc?

I ended up ordering some laserglow glasses (in the correct spectrum) for the 7W blue JLaser I just picked up. I'm hoping it'll still be enjoyable to safely play around with it while wearing them.

I'd like to see that...it's making me feel uneasy even thinking about it.

Question is, how do you enjoy your laser when wearing glasses in which you can't see it yourself? I know the con of being blind is obviously the motivator, but then how do you enjoy beamshots, etc?

I ended up ordering some laserglow glasses (in the correct spectrum) for the 7W blue JLaser I just picked up. I'm hoping it'll still be enjoyable to safely play around with it while wearing them.

I'll chip in here with some relevant links that I found..... a 1W 445nm blue laser has a "visual hazard distance" of 4.8 nautical miles.
A 1W 533nm Green laser on the other hand has a visual hazard distance of 25.5 nautical miles. https://www.laserpointersafety.com/page52/laser-hazard_diagram/different-lasers-compared.html

Insane difference, right?? (Wear your glasses)

And the link I think everyone *MIGHT* be referring to is this one I found: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Guy was goofing around (if you ask me) - and paid the price. Permanent damage. Although the brain does correct for injuries....just avoid it. (Wear your glasses)

I still haven't found an reasonable explanation as to why watching the "dot" on , say, a rug on the floor at 5 ft, ish, while it moves around is harmful. If it's 1 inch away from your eyeballs - and you're just staring at the dot continuously, I would understand it.

But 5 ft away while it's "moving" around on the floor and you just occasionaly glance at the "dot" .....while being *extremely careful* not to hit anything reflective.....I just don't understand the science of *THAT* scenario and how it damages. Or even looking at the beam *FROM THE SIDE* - not head on into the eyeball.

I'm positive the W rating of the various lasers comes into play there.

Must be something just a bit above my pay grade as a laymen. (Wear your glasses anyway) (We both might get answers but that's going to be the bottom line anyway)

Avoiding eye damage is all about energy to the eye per unit of surface area.
The maximum permissible exposure to a visible laser, such as a pointer or handheld, is 2.54mW/cm2. The eye can intensify the energy of a laser beam by up to 100,000 times, if the irradiance entering the eye is 1 mW/cm2, the irradiance at the retina will be 100 W/cm2, so even a low-powered laser can cause a burn if it's focused directly on the retina.

For a more detailed explanation see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

Study the best web site on laser safety and related see: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

See also: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/classes-menu.html

Last edited:

Back