Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

the scarriest moments of my life! post yours!

wow you're past 100 rep!
i bet this forum only has like 12 members and the rest are all accounts you have made and you post on all of them. that's why you get so much rep.

I got a real big scare many years ago when I went over to do some photography of an old historic home for my senior thesis in art college.  This lady I knew owned this beautiful old home, and she was happy to let me come over and do still photography and 16mm film.  However, she had this awful dog -  now, mind you - I love dogs in general, and most dogs are amicable towards me.

But this dog was a psycho - it wasn't a pitbull but it behaved like a badly treated and badly bred pitbull.  It would bite both friend and foe - it even bit her mother in the face!  But not only was the dog a psycho, it was a monster - topping out at over 210 pounds! This was the real-life Cujo - Stephen King should have seen this dog....

One day I came over to do some 16mm filming and when I knocked on the door, one of the lady's little kids answered the door.  Well, normally that wasn't a problem, but this time the lady forgot to put the dog out in the backyard where there was a nice, tall sturdy fence.  So there's the kid, looking tiny next to the monster dog standing right next to her - nothing in between me and the monster dog but my metal camera case!  I held that case up in front of me to block what I surely thought would be an imminent attack, but suddenly the lady appeared and quickly shut the door until she could get the beast out of the house and into the backyard.  

Here are some pics I shot of this monster dog, both still photo and frames from the 16mm film (in that case I was safely behind that fence).  The 2nd to last one down is of course colored in Photoshop but otherwise none of these has been enhanced in any way:

8e9.jpg

da0.jpg

32b.jpg

844.jpg

Things

My scariest time involving a laser was when I got my first DX laser. I took it outside, no cars or anything in sight, so I shined it down my road. And whaddya know, a freakin car happens to go past ! >.<

A few seconds later, I saw a car heading down my street, I bolted inside and shut the curtains. I'd never run faster in my life LOL!!

Scariest moment was looking down the barrel of my 10/22 only to realize there was still a cartridge in the chamber. Apparently, the extractor was broken and it didn't remove the cartridge when I racked the bolt...

The scariest moment of my life was a couple of years ago at a scout camp in winter. A few people in our troop went for a hike up to this frozen river which led up to a frozen waterfall. I decided that I wanted to get closer to this frozen waterfall by climbing up this slippery ice river. What I didn't realize was that while getting up was tough and dangerous, getting down would be next-to-impossible. So I ignored the warnings of the adults telling me not to, and I got to the point where the slope went from about 40 degrees to vertical, and I stopped because I had reached my goal. I was unprepared, on a fairly steep slope, wearing sneakers and a jacket. I looked down, and to my horror, everyone was like little dots to me. I then realized that I was up on the top of a steep, slippery, featureless slope with a possibly-fatal runout, spread-eagled at the top with no apparent way to get down. I broke down into crying and hyperventilating, because I was sure this was the end of my life. I wish I could describe it better. It was terrifying, and words just cannot describe it. If you have ever been hiking/climbing in the winter, you might know what I am talking about.

Another time in my life that was scary (but really fun, for some strange reason, and not NEAR as scary as the ice waterfall) was walking along the roads in Lynnwood (WA) at midnight. It's not always a nice place. It was me and three friends all walking down the roads there, and we encountered a few creepy people along the way. First, there was this guy in a white car speeding down the road. He held down his horn for like 30 seconds while passing us! We thought it was pretty funny, and then he came back, doing the same thing! We were in hysterics by this time, utterly convinced it was somebody we knew. Until...he came back. Twice more. And we were freaked out, so we ran. Immediately after this, some guy in a bright red car swerved towards us and tried to grab one of us. He missed by about an inch, and then sped up away from us, so we just kept on walking (we were going in a loop, and either way was the same distance.) Our group of 4 split up into 2 groups of 2. So then, as we were heading back around, somebody yelled the f-word at us and threw a soda cup full of ice at us. I know it doesn't sound like much, but we were pretty freaked out about this. Right after this, some guy screamed the n-word at us, and in our stupidity, I yelled "WE'RE WHITE!" (Not like I'm racist or anything, I was just afraid of some anti-racial group coming for us, so I yelled the first thing that came to my mind.) My friend then swore back, and we heard screaming tires and burning rubber as they pulled a u-turn in the middle of the road, then ran like hell. We hid in the bushes as they passed us, and walked home with our hearts jumping out of our chests. We met up with our other friends about 10 minutes later in the house, who had encountered similar issues. We were all scared out of our minds, but it sure was a break from the pretty boring life I lead most of the time.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
The scariest moment of my life was a couple of years ago at a scout camp in winter. A few people in our troop went for a hike up to this frozen river which led up to a frozen waterfall. I decided that I wanted to get closer to this frozen waterfall by climbing up this slippery ice river. What I didn't realize was that while getting up was tough and dangerous, getting down would be next-to-impossible. So I ignored the warnings of the adults telling me not to, and I got to the point where the slope went from about 40 degrees to vertical, and I stopped because I had reached my goal. I was unprepared, on a fairly steep slope, wearing sneakers and a jacket. I looked down, and to my horror, everyone was like little dots to me. I then realized that I was up on the top of a steep, slippery, featureless slope with a possibly-fatal runout, spread-eagled at the top with no apparent way to get down. I broke down into crying and hyperventilating, because I was sure this was the end of my life. I wish I could describe it better. It was terrifying, and words just cannot describe it. If you have ever been hiking/climbing in the winter, you might know what I am talking about.

-Mark
what happened after that.

This isn't even close to the scariest thing, but last night, I was showing my friend my X100, and he told me to shine it at this star. After I did, the star started blinking red and blue! :eek: I thought it was a helicopter, and could have sworn I saw it move... It turned out to be a strange looking star. Today, my contact was bugging me so I took it out. In language arts class, I seemed to have a blind spot on the left side of my field of view. I could barely read the board because I had a spot there. It was black and white, and looked sort of checkerboardish. My eye is slightly swollen now... The spot is gone though, and I don't notice anything wrong. (No blurry images, reading fine, ect)

LRMNmeyer said:
[quote author=Switch link=1221604386/20#27 date=1221828828]
Anyway, my scariest moment was when I stabbed a guy in a fight.We were 3 times outnumbered , and every one of them was bigger than me, plus my little sister was with us, so it kinda seemed like a good idea at the time.Then we managed to get away and the police and ambulance came.We were on vacation in Greece, and then I was saying to myself "WTF was I thinking pulling sh!t like that in a foreign country!?!" lol, didn't seem like such a good idea anymore, I freaked out the whole night. :p Anyway, considering that the police didn't get too involved and we just left the next day I still consider I made a right decision. ;D

Lol, this reminds me of the book; "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hilton.[/quote]
hahah i remember that book. was his name pony boy ??? lol soc's and joc's lol

jamilm9 said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1221604386/20#37 date=1224308038]The scariest moment of my life was a couple of years ago at a scout camp in winter.  A few people in our troop went for a hike up to this frozen river which led up to a frozen waterfall.  I decided that I wanted to get closer to this frozen waterfall by climbing up this slippery ice river.  What I didn't realize was that while getting up was tough and dangerous, getting down would be next-to-impossible.  So I ignored the warnings of the adults telling me not to, and I got to the point where the slope went from about 40 degrees to vertical, and I stopped because I had reached my goal.  I was unprepared, on a fairly steep slope, wearing sneakers and a jacket.  I looked down, and to my horror, everyone was like little dots to me.  I then realized that I was up on the top of a steep, slippery, featureless slope with a possibly-fatal runout, spread-eagled at the top with no apparent way to get down.  I broke down into crying and hyperventilating, because I was sure this was the end of my life.  I wish I could describe it better.  It was terrifying, and words just cannot describe it.  If you have ever been hiking/climbing in the winter, you might know what I am talking about.

-Mark
what happened after that.[/quote]

Through massive tears, spread-eagling, and adrenaline, I finally made it down okay. But I was still shaking for hours.

-Mark

my most scary laser related issue was when i showed my friend my DX greenie he took it and pointed it out the window straight at a landing plane.
i think i punched him for being such an idiot nothing ever eventuated though.
i now only show gooooooood friends my laser/s